• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am quite sure Pogacar is on a top program. But what I find funny is that he has a super weak team the 3rd year in a row, while the budget is clearly there and even the names do not read that bad. If I have a Tour winning program, I would pass this to key domestiques.

Actually a quite novel occurence. US Postal, T-Mobile, Ineos, maybe recently Bahrain (although I think they will have and are already having a subpar Tour for obvious reasons) always have/had the whole team flying.

I am quite sure Pogacar is on a top program. But what I find funny is that he has a super weak team the 3rd year in a row, while the budget is clearly there and even the names do not read that bad. If I have a Tour winning program, I would pass this to key domestiques.

Actually a quite novel occurence. US Postal, T-Mobile, Ineos, maybe recently Bahrain (although I think they will have and are already having a subpar Tour for obvious reasons) always have/had the whole team flying.
Jumbo too.

Imo the key is Dr Millan, who is coaching him. He has also been coaching Ayuso since last year and we've seen how good he already is.

Reactions: ppanther92

Looking at that "fishy as hell it's almost hilariously obvious" behavior of Bettiol yesterday, Pogacar's team probably has all bases covered. Who needs a team when riders in other teams do your domestique work anyway?

Just enjoy the spectacle, because the intricate details of 'how' this stuff happens is right up there with the machinations of Batiatus in an episode of Spartacus (for those who might have never seen the TV series, he was a complete crook who would do anything to win at all costs).

Looking at that "fishy as hell it's almost hilariously obvious" behavior of Bettiol yesterday, Pogacar's team probably has all bases covered. Who needs a team when riders in other teams do your domestique work anyway?

Just enjoy the spectacle, because the intricate details of 'how' this stuff happens is right up there with the machinations of Batiatus in an episode of Spartacus (for those who might have never seen the TV series, he was a complete crook who would do anything to win at all costs).
Ok yes, but I would argue having a strong team is always plan A.

Perhaps they are spending their entire budget on Pogacars program? I'm only half joking. He is certainly something else, whatever the cause.

Ok yes, but I would argue having a strong team is always plan A.

Still, this was straight-up scandalous:

m7gt.jpg

I'm amazed (sadly, not really) by the overall lack of reaction to Bettiol basically screwing his own team & riding for UAE. Other than a few protestations here & there, it's crickets.

It's like some people are so afraid of being labelled 'conspiracy theorists' they refuse to accept reality. This was pas normal. Not normal.

Yeah coaching cyclists is kinda his secondary job but it must be very interesting for him to work on such a great engine like Pog's.
I listened to a quite lengthy podcast one and indeed, he seems very excited to work with Pogacar. Millan is a big proponent of Zone 2 training (and claims its underutilized in elite level) and that Pogacar has the best lactate clearence he has ever seen.

Also Vino's team doctor in 2007, when he went crazy in the Albi TT before getting caught...
Do you have a reference for that? It's something new for me to hear, so just curious.

Here's something that's a bit of a truism, sports physiologists and scientists are always explaining how particular athletes are so good at one thing or another, even if said athlete is actually simply doping like crazy. Lim regarding Landis? How about all the crap about Armstrong? And then there's all those ways of explaining Froome. :p

Reactions: noob

Maybe they learned from US Postal?

Less people involved, less loose ends when someone goes berserk and starts to spill the beans a few years later.

TRENDING THREADS