• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taking away Pantani's 1998 TdF win?

In this scenario, should Pantani keep being recognised as the winner?

• Don't know/other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As mentioned here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tou...-day-for-quickstep-a-new-winner-for-1998-tour

If some of the 1998 retroactive positivs are found to be Pantani's, should his victory be stricken from the record?

Maybe I'm biased because I still like Pantani, but removing a dead man's palmares seems awfully revisionist to me. What do you think?

eta: sorry for confusingly phrasing the poll differently from the thread, hopefully everyone gets it.

fat pat

was it fat pat that made this suggestion?

way to go pat...........................looking for public support...............

..................what a dunce

obviously either leave result unchanged ( with respect to the deceased ) or for the result to be totally voided

Mark L

new winner?

report states fat pat suggests new winner could be annointed

.....................right pat! despite being beyound SOL.....despite runner up
/3rd place admitting to doping

personally i feel the result should be left in respect to marco or at worst
voided

Mark L

May 19, 2010
Visit site
McQuaid should strike Verbruggen and himself from the record for not setting this straight when it took place. Where the hell was UCI when the retests from 1998 and 1999 were made in 2005?

If they let Marco keep the goods despite beeing positive, with the arguments that the rest of the podium has confessed or been busted as well, and "plundering a dead mans grave"- arguments, then this will happen:

Wonderboy (whos not fond of the pirate) will be pretty upset with the way some people get a free pass and good treatment (hehe.. karma) and will start applying pressure, spilling names or telling stories of the past (at least threaten with it.

If they strip him, then there will be a huge debate whether the first guy not positive who recieve the first place honors is actually clean and yada.. yada.. yada.

My money is on that, a few retroactive positives will come out, but marco pantanis sample will be confused or mixed up and out of uncertainty they cannot strip him.
For Pat & Co, stripping for example, Ullrich, is no problem since hes confessed to career doping and didnt win in 98. Stripping the winner gives new problems with whether the new winner is really 100% clean or not..

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
He was punished enough troughout his whole carrer.
Me missed so many chances and stage races as Armstrong and Ullrich were allowed to do their thing.

On the other hand, if they strip him off his title, nothing will change. Pantani will always be the cycling legend be earned to be.

There are other problems they should deal with at the moment.

Marco Pantani said:
He was punished enough troughout his whole carrer.
Me missed so many chances and stage races as Armstrong and Ullrich were allowed to do their thing.

On the other hand, if they strip him off his title, nothing will change. Pantani will always be the cycling legend be earned to be.

There are other problems they should deal with at the moment.
^^^This.

The man was already drawn through the meat grinder for what we all knew everyone else was doing and it eventually killed him.

Let Pantani rest in peace and sort out cyclings current problems, not those of a man who died nearly 10 years ago.

I suppose giving it to the first person who's blood did not have epo in it does have some appeal. Usually giving it to the next guy probably mean also giving it to a doper (menchov pereiro schleck scarponi) but 1998 being the mega epo era it's unlikely that someone would succesfully dope without epo and less likely that bribing systems were in place.

In short it would probably be the only gt where we could have some degree of faith in the newly declared winner being clean or at least doping a lot less. Though I do get that it is impractical.

Shardi said:
Wonderboy (whos not fond of the pirate) will be pretty upset with the way some people get a free pass and good treatment

Wonderboy could have used the sol. He waved that right in order to play the persecution card and try to make USADA into bullies. He really can't complain if it saves someone else.

Damn, I misread the question and voted "No" when I meant "Yes".

It's outside of the SOL. If they can find a good, legal reason to waive it, then yes, strip him. Otherwise, this is just McQuaid stirring things up, trying to be relevant and showing how mad he is that his former pal Armstrong was stripped.

There hasn't been one single clean Tour de France winner since 1903.
So if you take Pantanis you better take the others, too.

By the way you can't take away it cuase of the time limit.
They ised a special loophole in the regulations to take away Armstrongs wins. But that dien't apply for Pantani.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
WOW,,,,

I think it shows a lot in someones character to even tell the press that they are thinking about taking away a dead guys TDF victory. What an A hole!

He is dead and even not given the chance to defend himself.

Pat should stop looking back at the past of others and look back at his own past. Again I say what an A hole!!!!

42x16ss said:
Let Pantani rest in peace and sort out cyclings current problems, not those of a man who died nearly 10 years ago.

This sums me up. Still a tough ethics question though. Where do we draw the line with the Pirate? Indeed, where do we draw the line with correcting any past GT winners with retrospective testing ?

I still have fond memories of watching Pantani win the 98 TDF. His defeat of Ullrich on the Les Deux Alpes stage in appalling weather was the most epic exhibition of riding I ever recall watching to this day. A true David and Goliath story that year. It would be a shame to have this erased from the historical record no matter what the circumstances.

Merxc has been like positive a zillion times in his career, yet he still get's praised everywhere. I'll never get that double standard.
It's more than well known that doping has been omnipresent since the very first days of the Tour.
So why would you randomly strip Pantani of his titles? Only because he's unlucky that 1998 was retested and not 1995? That's just so stupid it's not even funny.

TRENDING THREADS