• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
() between brackets, presumed in a supportive/non-GC role.

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, (Formolo), Pinot, Bardet, (Aru), Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, (Gaudu), Barguil, Porte, (Kämna), (G Bennett), G Martin, D Martin, (Pozzovivo), Alaphilippe, (Poels)

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty, De Plus, Tolhoek, (Foss), Konrad, CF Hagen

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru, Buchmann, Mollema

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Kelderman, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Madouas, Martinez, Vlasov, Latour, Oomen...

Buchmann is also scheduled for the Vuelta. Don't know if he is targeting GC there as well or just stages.

I think the Vuelta is actually a pretty good fit for Vanhoucke and could see him doing a nice race for stages. As you said, he already showed that he stepped it up and is racing quite well on spanish roads.

In a pre corona interview, he said he was hoping he could ride the Giro, because the climbs there suit him best. Very strange that they're sending Goossens, who is a lot lesser climber but "still somewhat a climber" there instead.

Assuming it happens, the Tour is going to be insane this year. This will be the closest we've had to ALL the top guys going head to head in a GT in as long as I can remember. I can't wait. Hopefully Mitchelton Scott will follow Ineos' and Jumbo's lead and take both Yates bros and Chaves to the to Tour. Then we'd only need to talk Nibali into changing his plans...

I can't really understand why isn't Il Lombardia on Valverde's schedule. He had a good opportunity to finally win it but instead will ride the Dauphiné before a Tour in which he supposedly has no GC ambitions...

Because it conflicts with the Duaphine. I suspect he and the team are wanting to get Mas comfortable racing with Valverde before the Tour.

As of right now Valverde's calendar is Burgos, Duaphine, National Championships, Tour, Worlds, Fleche Wallone, LBL, Vuelta. According to him the Tour is for training for everything that comes after which are his goals.

Also remember for Valverde his peak and off peak are virtually the same and the team can't tell a difference. He's also shown up at races barely in race shape and still been fine. From what he's said a few times it seems the Worlds and Vuelta are his biggest goals for this strange season and everything else is prep for those goals. He also races more than other GC riders to begin and only some of the helpers have similar number of race days to what he does. From the sounds of it, he's not looking to peak at all at the Tour.

Remember it was only a few years ago he finally found his race limit for a year at 90 race days. He raced 92 that year and then raced 94 the following year and was half joking about the fact that it took him until his mid 30's to finally find his limit for race days in a season.
Those 90 day seasons had space between the Ardennes and pre TDF stage races and the TDF and Vuelta while this is going to be almost constant racing and travel

Monuments should outweigh such inconsequential considerations any day of the week.

True, but I as I said I think the Duaphine is being used for him and Mas to learn each other's style of racing and get comfortable racing together. However, due his coming into this season in at best race shape, he won't be at his top form to race Lombardia at the time they moved it. One other point is he may be wanting to get race days into his legs during that time for a build up for everything after the Tour.

True, but I as I said I think the Duaphine is being used for him and Mas to learn each other's style of racing and get comfortable racing together. However, due his coming into this season in at best race shape, he won't be at his top form to race Lombardia at the time they moved it. One other point is he may be wanting to get race days into his legs during that time for a build up for everything after the Tour.

Maybe Dauphiné instead of Lombardia is mostly for logistical reasons? So he switches between France / Spain (and Suisse for the Worlds), but does not travel to Italy.

I'll put Martinez down for the TDF, i've seen him listed on other sites but haven't read confirmation from him or the team.
EDIT: added Madouas for the TDF as per RHD below // Pinot & Gaudu for the Vuelta as per Alexandre B.

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, (Formolo), Pinot, Bardet, (Aru), Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, (Gaudu), Barguil, Porte, (Kämna), (G Bennett), G Martin, D Martin, (Pozzovivo), Alaphilippe, (Poels), Martinez, (Madouas)

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty, De Plus, Tolhoek, (Foss), Konrad, CF Hagen

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru, Buchmann, Mollema, Pinot, Gaudu

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Kelderman, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Vlasov, Latour, Oomen...

Last edited:

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, (Formolo), Pinot, Bardet, (Aru), Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, (Gaudu), Barguil, Porte, (Kämna), (G Bennett), G Martin, D Martin, (Pozzovivo), Alaphilippe, (Poels), Martinez, (Madouas)

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty, De Plus, Tolhoek, (Foss), Konrad, CF Hagen, Oomen, Kelderman

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru, Buchmann, Mollema, Pinot, Gaudu, Aru

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Vlasov, Latour...

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, (Formolo), Pinot, Bardet, (Aru), Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, (Gaudu), Barguil, Porte, (Kämna), (G Bennett), G Martin, D Martin, (Pozzovivo), Alaphilippe, (Poels), Martinez, (Madouas), A. Yates, Chaves, (Nieve), Latour

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty, De Plus, Tolhoek, (Foss), Konrad, CF Hagen, Oomen, Kelderman, S. Yates, Haig, Dunbar

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru, Buchmann, Mollema, Pinot, Gaudu, Hermans, Großschartner

Unconfirmed: Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, O'Connor, Vlasov...

Last edited:
According to this article:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/evaluating-mitchelton-scotts-10-man-tour-de-france-long-list/

A.Yates, Chaves and Nieve will ride the tour for (what is their name now?)
S.Yates is not part of the 10-man long list, so he will probably target the giro as initially planned.

Simon must have got his way - In saying that the original GC calendar for MS riders has changed little because of the Pandemic - GC leaders A.Yates at the TDF, S.Yates at the Giro and Haig/Hamilton at the Vuelta.

Reckon Hepburn and Howson will miss from the TDF long list.

TRENDING THREADS