• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would love to see Lopez at the tour, too. The course is good for him and he is a rider who animates a race.
Another interesting decicision will be, which Grand tour Simon Yates will target next year. Don´t know if his underperformance of this years giro had been only a spike or if he returns to his Grand Tour level of 2018.

S.Yates will ride for GC at the TDF - Lock it in.

If he wants to win the Olympics next season, the Tour isn't a good choice. But on the other hand he is Mitchelton's best Tour hope
IMHO two weeks in France is the best choice. Lately we are reading people (Guercilena, Fuglsang) saying the Giro is better but I think is more related to the fact that a team won't let a big leader go to France to train for two weeks and then abandon.

Reactions: faucon
Movistar has stated today that Valverde will race Tour, Olympics, Vuelta, Worlds. Basically they think the Tour is the best prep for both the Olympics and the Vuelta. They do not believe there will be an issue for Valverde finishing in Paris and then jumping on a plane for Tokyo. This announcement also suggests he'll be racing his typical spring schedule.

Reactions: Earns1985
Maybe they'll send Haig. That would certainly be a surprise.
The logical choice - after the Yates bros - would be Chaves, but hasn't he also said that he isn't that interested in doing the Tour?

Haig will get leadership at one GT most likely the Giro - They may even give Hamilton a leadership role at a GC - What A.Yates does is anyone's guess while Chaves will be a super domestic.

Do we know if any of the top GT riders aren't going to the Olympics?

Eg The GB&NI team has 4 spots, it won't be Froome, Thomas, Yates, A and Yates S will it? Surely one of those will not go and will be free to focus on the Tour fully?

Will the Columbian team be Bernal, MAL, Quintana, Uran and Higuita - surely one of the Henao's or a similar rider will go as a domestique?

Eg The GB&NI team has 4 spots, it won't be Froome, Thomas, Yates, A and Yates S will it? Surely one of those will not go and will be free to focus on the Tour fully?

Will the Columbian team be Bernal, MAL, Quintana, Uran and Higuita - surely one of the Henao's or a similar rider will go as a domestique?

Also if Bardet is going for the olympics it would be crazy for Pinot to go too. Surely 1 for your 1 for olympics

Quintana didn't go in 2016 if that means anything to 2020. Also it looks like Quintana (assuming his team gets a Tour invite), Bernal and MAL will all be racing the Tour to Paris. I'd guess Uran as well. Higuita may or may not be racing the Tour. I don't remember what Quintana's reasoning was. However, IMO he's not their better option anyway. They'd be better off with Higuita, Bernal, Uran, Marinez and one of the Henao's.
Unless Froome is fully healed/healthy from his injuries, which is not guaranteed he may not be going for GB. The Yates twins and Thomas I would think will be going.
My question regarding Spain is, who are they sending for the ITT? I'd guess Castroviejo, but that will mean one less climbing dom. They could go with Sanchez, or maybe going with a full team of climber and pick someone later for the ITT?

Quintana didn't go in 2016 if that means anything to 2020. Also it looks like Quintana (assuming his team gets a Tour invite), Bernal and MAL will all be racing the Tour to Paris. I'd guess Uran as well. Higuita may or may not be racing the Tour. I don't remember what Quintana's reasoning was. However, IMO he's not their better option anyway. They'd be better off with Higuita, Bernal, Uran, Marinez and one of the Henao's.
Unless Froome is fully healed/healthy from his injuries, which is not guaranteed he may not be going for GB. The Yates twins and Thomas I would think will be going.
My question regarding Spain is, who are they sending for the ITT? I'd guess Castroviejo, but that will mean one less climbing dom. They could go with Sanchez, or maybe going with a full team of climber and pick someone later for the ITT?
Do the TT riders have to do the Road Race or is it a logistics issue? GB will presumably have 2 of Froome, Dowsett and Thomas as their two TTers I'm not sure they'd want Dowsett in the road race though if Froome isn't fully fit?

Also if Bardet is going for the olympics it would be crazy for Pinot to go too. Surely 1 for your 1 for olympics
Didn’t they end up working pretty well for each other at the Worlds in Austria? Or at least, they were both going pretty well in support of Alaphilippe until he cracked and they had to rewrite the plan on the go.

Finished Bardet 2nd, Alaf 8th, Tibo 9th, which is a good result in anyone’s books

Reactions: Koronin
Didn’t they end up working pretty well for each other at the Worlds in Austria? Or at least, they were both going pretty well in support of Alaphilippe until he cracked and they had to rewrite the plan on the go.

Finished Bardet 2nd, Alaf 8th, Tibo 9th, which is a good result in anyone’s books

They were both working for Alaphilippe until he cracked on the hell climb and Bardet then tried to do something himself.

There's also the fact that Pinot is really hoping to actually get to Paris next year - as highly placed as possible - and he might not feel there's enough time between the end of the Tour and the Olympics.

"One for your"? Did you mean "one for Tour"? It doesn't work like that; for the Tour - which Bardet isn't riding any - they're on different teams.

Hasn't Simon ridden well as a dom for Adam in one day races? With Froome it would be more due to the ITT as you are required to race the road race to race the ITT at the Olympics.

Of course the ITT rider/s must participate in the RR which complicates things for the selectors - Reckon an in-form Thomas can do better than Froome in the ITT - A.Yates should be a lock as he has a decent record in one day races - Anyway it will be interesting times for the selectors.

What purpose does the rule about riding the TT AND RR serve? It’s especially confusing considering the TT is after the RR, so more likely to lead to TT contenders soft-pedaling the RR, or even abandoning early. At least if the TT was first, the TT riders would then be free to give it their all for a team leader in the RR.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ya but the difference this year is you have to prety much give up the TdF for the olympics which wasnt the case for the worlds.

Pinot could do both I suppose same as doig San Sebastian after TdF

TRENDING THREADS