• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Deffo not out of question.

Bernal to Giro makes no sense whatsover unless he requested it himself. It would also turn the Tour into the much more uncertain race than the Giro imo.

The article has quotes where he is desperate to go to the Giro. If so, I think it could be Bernal and Carapaz for Giro, and Froome and Thomas for Tour.

On the Yates brothers, I think Simon will want to go Giro again.

Bernal seems to want to go full Contador and not focusing only on the Tour. Instead he seems to want to win all the GTs
It' nice that he wants that, but in a year with mountainous Olympics and Worlds, and him being a pretty good one-day rider, I think Giro-Tour combo is a really bad move. It would be much better if he does Tour-Vuelta combination, that way he could have a shot at both, Olympics and Worlds.

It' nice that he wants that, but in a year with mountainous Olympics and Worlds, and him being a pretty good one-day rider, I think Giro-Tour combo is a really bad move. It would be much better if he does Tour-Vuelta combination, that way he could have a shot at both, Olympics and Worlds.
I think just Tour with ORR and WRR would be best for Bernal. Not sure whats going on

Bernal seems to want to go full Contador and not focusing only on the Tour. Instead he seems to want to win all the GTs

The reason he went to Giro and Vuelta was because he was banned from TDF / all ASO events. Its crazy to me that you forgot or don't want to remember Alberto being hugely focused on TDF. He talked all kinds of hype and trash then just didn't deliver post-Bruyneel but it still happened. If you don't believe me there's many articles quoting him saying things like "The big objective is to try and win the most important races on the calendar, first and foremost the Tour de France," even late in his career when he wasn't the best.

Bernal can forget the Giro. Next year podium has been leaked.

img-20191201-175226.png

• Haha
Reactions: dusty red roads
La Gazzetta dello Sport rumpours that Roglic will lead Jumbo at the tour. Dumoulin will target the giro and the time trial of the olympic games.

Although it´s like in Bernal´s case still a rumour it looks like the Giro fields becomes more interesting than I first expected.

Nibali, Bardet, Fuglsang are already confirmed.

Bernal and Dumoulin are strongly rumoured now. Carapaz and Pogacar are likely in my eyes, too. Perhaps Simon Yates, too.

So a very intersting first grand tour of the year is already guaranteed. :D

La Gazzetta dello Sport rumpours that Roglic will lead Jumbo at the tour. Dumoulin will target the giro and the time trial of the olympic games.

Although it´s like in Bernal´s case still a rumour it looks like the Giro fields becomes more interesting than I first expected.

Nibali, Bardet, Fuglsang are already confirmed.

Bernal and Dumoulin are strongly rumoured now. Carapaz and Pogacar are likely in my eyes, too. Perhaps Simon Yates, too.

So a very intersting first grand tour of the year is already guaranteed. :D
Bernal himself has said that he wants to ride Giro-Tour.

Would be better for the racing if the main GT contenders would be each on their own team racing each other, but now we have 4 (!) previous GT winners at Ineos, 2 at Jumbo and then the others somewhat spread out.

After Carapaz won the Giro this past season, Movistar had 3 on their team.

Also remember there are several teams that are not GC team, so obviously aren't looking to have GC riders on their team. Part of why Enric Mas went from DQS to Movistar. DQS is a classics team that can't really support a GC rider. Movistar will give Mas a team to support him for GC.

TRENDING THREADS