• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney to Team BMC

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Duarte signed for Geox:eek:

Damn that is as big news as this. You are right, if Phinney wasnt American this wouldnt be as big an issue.

Oh well. Just thank God hes not dutch, and didnt sign for Rabo. We would have to open up a sub forum for it.
+1;)

TeamSkyFans said:
So everytime a neo-pro signs for a pro-continental team are we going to have a new thread?
No, the fact we have nearly 60 posts on this thread says it is big news. I guess the thread on Sky wearing green jerseys was important enough for a thread.:rolleyes:
TRDean said:
Ah...no they didn't...no wins does not equal a very good cobbled classics team. On paper...maybe, on the road...NOT.
Ah...no, if you read my post I said they were very dissapointing but the past results the riders on that team have in the classics inidicate that it is a very strong classics team.

tgsgirl said:
BMC haven't signed Cancellara, you can't just include riders at a whim. Because if we can, name me a better classics team than TopSport Vlaanderen if you include Cancellara, Boonen, Hushovd, Flecha and Pozzato? Right.

Hincapie, Ballan, Burghardt, Phinney, Kroon, Van Avermaet and Quinziato have a grand total of 3 cobbled classics victories* (Ballan RVV, Hincapie GW, Burghardt GW). Tom Boonen by himself has 15 (3x PR, 4x E3, 2x RVV, Dwars door Vlaanderen, KBK, 2x Scheldeprijs, GW).

*depends on your definition of classics, of course

Your including 5 top cobbled riders into a poor team where i am including only cancellara into BMC. I did that because there are strong rumours that he is going to BMC. I would not just look at victories but those riders consistent results in the cobbled races so BMC does not look that bad.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Since Dekker only moved to Italy/Cecchini end 2006, the talent he had was genuine. Only starting 2007 you can start doubting his results. He didn';t had a rep as 'charger' at the junior/espoirs either.

That is like saying that Basso only attempted to dope and never doped in a race before and his talent was genuine in the giro. Your too closely connected to the guy.

Hugh Januss said:
Or at least "clean". Interesting contrast between Lance refusing to speak to a 20 year old kid because he didn't sign with Lance's team and the story about Vino and Contador getting together for a street race even though Alberto has changed teams. Lance must be the most vindictive guy in the pro peloton. Could that have anything to do with the number of ex-Postal and Disco riders who have tested positive after they left?

Correction Hugh, I think it's even worse than that. Lance stopped speaking to Taylor the moment he realised that Taylor was speaking to someone else. No deals had been signed. For Lance, even speaking to someone else about a deal was an act of betrayal it would appear. Taylor's future development didn't come in to it.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Just to name another example,
Thomas Dekker at that same age had already beaten Lance Armstrong uphill in Algarve and beaten Fabian Cancellara in a prologue in Ster Elektrotoer. And won the Tirreno a year later. And then he lost his head.

Great expectations don't help these young riders most of the time..

Thomas Dekker is not a good example to use D/T....we know the rest of this story...EPO....But agree there are lots of good u23 riders entering the pro ranks next year....Mathews will be a champion in the near future.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
michaeld said:
This era's crop of U23s has been good. They'll give the 38+ year olds a reason to think twice about hanging around in their decrepitude in the pro peleton.

I hope not. I want a couple more years of Jens.

benpounder said:
We all have our cycling heros, and those who we wish would attain hero status.

Actually i have found that many on this forum, like myself have absolutely no heroes in cycling. We love the sport, but at the end of the day, see the riders as just athletes looking for personal glory.

And nation wise, this forum is quite unpatriotic - which is a good thing. Those in America generally hate Lance, those in Britain are not Team Sky or Cav fanboys, and in some cases dislike both. With the exception of a few Cuddles fan boys the Australian posters post impartially as well. The Dutch posters generaly love Rabo but mock them more often than not.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Mr. Gipsy said:
It may be premature to say so, but I see Taylor Phinney as the next great cycling phenomenon. Mastering the track, the TT and the cobbles; which current road racer can claim to all three?

Stuart O'Grady. I'm sure there are probably others as well, but Stu is a multiple track WC, track Olympic champion, yellow jersey wearer (on the back of prologue/sprint bonuses), winner of PR, may not have won his national TT champs, but he would have been up against 3 time world champ Mick Rogers in his prime, not up against Levi who's well past his best.

"Mastering the Cobbles" would mean mastering them at senior level, while his Jr PR is a great win, and I think the guy will deliver on his promise, lets wait till he wins against the big boys before we start saying he's "mastered" anything.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
... while his Jr PR is a great win, and I think the guy will deliver on his promise, lets wait till he wins against the big boys before we start saying he's "mastered" anything.
That sums this up for me. I think this guy is off to an incredible start and I hope he continues to impress us as he gains experience. Having said that we'll have to temper our expectations, most young guys need a couple of years before they shine in the pro ranks. I do think there are very few young riders with his potential and I hope his team is patient and lets him improve at a reasonable pace .

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Mr. Gipsy said:
It may be premature to say so, but I see Taylor Phinney as the next great cycling phenomenon. Mastering the track, the TT and the cobbles; which current road racer can claim to all three?

Geraint Thomas

Track: Olympic gold medallist. One of the fastest pursuiters of all time.
Cobbles: Junior Paris-Roubaix winner, 2nd on the TdF cobbles stage
TT: A couple of top tens in TdF TTs

He's done all three in the seniors, which Phinney hasn't yet, and comes from just up the road from me, yet I'm not going to call him a phenomenon

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Actually i have found that many on this forum, like myself have absolutely no heroes in cycling.
OK... Hero is probably the wrong word.

Anecdotally, since Levi first podiumed at the Vuelta, I have always been a fan. Enough so that I found myself rooting for him (yes, over Lance) when riding for Gerolsteiner and Rabobank. I know that many here detest his riding style, and that's OK by me - opinions differ.

So, no heros - but many here have riders they root for, and become passionate advocates for (conversley those that root against...). Unfortunately, the fanboy, and anti-fanboy moniker has spilled far and deep - poorly thought-out comments and responses are far too common (for my tastes). But that is to be expected when passions range wide.

In fact, while I'd agree that there is little 'hero worship' here amongst the regulars, there certainly seems to exist a strong community believing in the "cycling anti-christ." LA, Cav, Vino, Canc, Ricco, Bos, Valverde, Leipheimer, name your poison.

[passive venting]

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I like Phinney a lot more now that he's extricated himself from the slime of Armstrong and Bruyneel.

yes, very wise move. i'm sure his parents advised him to get away from lance and bruyneel. i'll bet hincapie did the same. i'm a fan now!

erader

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:
I like Phinney a lot more now that he's extricated himself from the slime of Armstrong and Bruyneel.

+1

Seems like he's grown up a bit since the 'Vinogate' tweet.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
am i to believe he is making a smart move moving from a sinking ship, to this ?

images

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/cycling/29cycling.html

The officials Landis named as encouraging doping — including the former USA Cycling board president Jim Ochowicz, who is known as the “Godfather of American cycling” and the Swiss businessman Andy Rihs — are also gearing up for cycling’s most glamorous event. Ochowicz and Rihs are co-owners of the BMC Racing team, which will compete in its first Tour.

Ochowicz, who in 1986 took the first American team to the Tour de France, said Monday by telephone that he had not been contacted by investigators and that the federal fraud inquiry did not worry him.

“It has no effect on me whatsoever,” he said from BMC Racing’s European headquarters in Belgium. He added that his initial reaction to Landis’s claims had not changed. The allegations against him were untrue, unfounded and unproven, said Ochowicz, who is one of Armstrong’s closest friends.

tgsgirl said:
BMC haven't signed Cancellara, you can't just include riders at a whim. Because if we can, name me a better classics team than TopSport Vlaanderen if you include Cancellara, Boonen, Hushovd, Flecha and Pozzato? Right.

Hincapie, Ballan, Burghardt, Phinney, Kroon, Van Avermaet and Quinziato have a grand total of 3 cobbled classics victories* (Ballan RVV, Hincapie GW, Burghardt GW). Tom Boonen by himself has 15 (3x PR, 4x E3, 2x RVV, Dwars door Vlaanderen, KBK, 2x Scheldeprijs, GW).

*depends on your definition of classics, of course

Hincapie has a KBK too, so make it 15-4 :p

Moose McKnuckles said:

Ahhh yes wasn't so long ago when Uncle Lance was announcing the Catlin drug program with young Phinny next to him to give the day that extra bit of cleanliness. I think the penny has dropped. The boy was being used. And in true Lance style he won't return the kid's text messages or calls. I'm glad he made the move. Phinny will know so much more in the next 3 months that he'll be glad he did what he did. Interesting that Hincapie played a big part in the move. Maybe things not so sweet between Big George and Tex no more?