• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tdf Sprinters 2019

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Select all the riders you think will win at least one stage at the Tour

• Sagan

Votes: 74 88.1%
  • Ewan

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • Colbrelli

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Viviani

Votes: 69 82.1%
  • Trentin

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Greipel

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Cavendish

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Kristoff

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Groenewegen

Votes: 73 86.9%
  • Matthews

Votes: 30 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

tobydawq said:
But the first stage ends on a 500 metre hill at 5 percent. I can't really imagine Ewan not winning there.
I remember Groenewegen, Viviani, Ewan and Sagan winning these type of sprints multiple times and I don't think it makes that much of a difference. It's more a case of who does best, timing his effort.

Re: Re:

Cinemaniak said:
tobydawq said:
But the first stage ends on a 500 metre hill at 5 percent. I can't really imagine Ewan not winning there.
I remember Groenewegen, Viviani, Ewan and Sagan winning these type of sprints multiple times and I don't think it makes that much of a difference. It's more a case of who does best, timing his effort.

It makes plenty of difference when one is 10 kilos lighter than the others.

tobydawq said:
Cinemaniak said:
tobydawq said:

It makes plenty of difference when one is 10 kilos lighter than the others.
Yeah... but they don't :rolleyes:

Re:

del1962 said:
I am surprised Viviani has picked up a lot more votes than Ewan
Yeah, I'm surprised Viviani has so many votes considering he didn't win a stage in the Giro. Better train here, however.
tobydawq said:
How hard would it be to show amount of voters rather than amount of votes in a poll where we can pick more than one answer?
I don't think we can. It will be interesting to see if the new forums have polls, and if so, how they work.
RedheadDane said:
I can say with utmost certainly that Cavendish isn't going to win any stages.
He ain't going.
I could swap him for Nizzolo, EBH, or Bol but I assume it will give them Cav's votes.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Can I change my votes? :) I'm actually impressed that DD made the decision.

I hope that Cav can either get on top/stay on top of his health, or call it a career.
Yeah, agreed. I've heard a lot of cycling podcasts discussing the Cavendish situation, where the general concensus seemed to be that Team DD should pick Cavendish for the team, because him winning a stage was still more likely than one of their other riders winning a stage from the break.

But I disagree with that analysis. Valgren, King, EBH or Kreuziger are all more likely to win a stage than Cavendish (especially since Cavendish would not get a team that would be supporting him anyway).
So is Nizzolo, by the way.

So, honestly a very wise decision.

Cance > TheRest said:
jmdirt said:
Can I change my votes? :) I'm actually impressed that DD made the decision.

I hope that Cav can either get on top/stay on top of his health, or call it a career.
Yeah, agreed. I've heard a lot of cycling podcasts discussing the Cavendish situation, where the general concensus seemed to be that Team DD should pick Cavendish for the team, because him winning a stage was still more likely than one of their other riders winning a stage from the break - especially since Cavendish would not get a team that would be supporting him anyway.

But I disagree with that analysis. Valgren, King, EBH or Kreuziger are all more likely to win a stage than Cavendish. And so is Nizzolo, by the way.

So, honestly a very wise decision.
I agree that those guys, especially combined, have a better shot at winning a stage than Cav. The difference though is that Cav would get press attention no matter what, those guys will only get press if they win (especially if they also take a jersey).

At the halfway point, and with only 2, maybe 3, sprint stages left, and no repeat winners yet, it's been a pretty good Tour for sprinting. 5 stages decided on the bike throw, some quality leadouts, but still getting caught out by a follower. I notice that the top 4 in the OP poll here have won stages, and Bling is letting the side down. No mention of vanAert and Teunissen in the OP..?

I was caught out by many stages being way harder than they seemed. As some of the pure sprinters never made it there.
And Ewan is faster than I thought. In his even younger years he beat Groenewegen a couple of times, but then he seemed to evolve into more of an uphill sprinter and lost out on pure speed. But yesterday he won the easiest TDF sprint so far in terms of flatness (it was headwind tho).

No one really dominant this year.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I was caught out by many stages being way harder than they seemed. As some of the pure sprinters never made it there.
And Ewan is faster than I thought. In his even younger years he beat Groenewegen a couple of times, but then he seemed to evolve into more of an uphill sprinter and lost out on pure speed. But yesterday he won the easiest TDF sprint so far in terms of flatness (it was headwind tho).

No one really dominant this year.
I was at the finish and the wind was almost entirely blocked by the trees and buildings. It was slightly downhill too, it was a brilliant turn of speed from Ewan to bring back Groenewegen.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
Kind of interesting that Sagan has been Bora's 3rd best sprinter this year.

I reckon it would be worth bringing all three to the tour. They would win a few between them, and they could play lead out shenanigans.
Bringing Sagan means a guaranteed points jersey for Bora, though, and he usually picks up a stage or two along the way for good measure. Throwing Ackermann and Bennett into the mix means less points for Sagan if they get to ride for the win.