• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 14 - Sunday, July 18 2010, Revel - Ax-3 Domaines, 184 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Chances are that best of climbing buddies Schleck and Contador finish together. Here's hoping that Gesink can suck their wheels and outsprint them.... Wont happen, but a man may dream.

Only question is whether someone abitious (like Sanchez maybe) already attacks on the Pailheres and tries to make the difference on the descent perhaps. Should produce some good racing; that final climb is Giro-level nasty.
any thoughts as to what schleck is like on the steeper climbs?

riobonito92 said:
The green jersey could be decided if 2 out of Pettachi, Hushovd and Cavendish finish outside the time limit and get docked 25 pts.

If those 2 are Pettachi and Hushovd, they will all be equal.

But givent hat there is this big "conspiracy" against Cav:rolleyes: maybe they will simply throw cav out if he finishes outside the time limit.

I think they will all come together in the autobus though. Remember that nice shot of cav and hushovd sprinting it out on Ventoux, 20 mins after Garate won.

Ax, Plateau de Bonascre, aka Trois Domaines. Tour regular.
Port de Pailheres, first used in 2003, when Sastre won, a dehydrated Armstrong looked like death and Ullrich finally rode away from the Texan on the final ascent.

Time gaps tend to be modest, rather than substantial, because folks wait for the final climb.
Riders with intent, take note.

theyoungest said:
Apart from the fact that the Mortirolo was preceded by another tough climb and followed by a much easier climb than the one they'll finish on tomorrow, yes, you're completely right...
Yup.
The words chalk and cheese, spring to mind.

theyoungest said:
Apart from the fact that the Mortirolo was preceded by another tough climb and followed by a much easier climb than the one they'll finish on tomorrow, yes, you're completely right...

Sure the earlier part of the stage was much harder, but the favourites didnt start their fireworks till the last 50k. And sure the final climb wasnt as steep, but otherwise there are big similarities, and im trying to big this stage up as potentially being that good.

Glad to see you understand ;)

Mellow Velo said:
Ax, Plateau de Bonascre, aka Trois Domaines. Tour regular.
Port de Pailheres, first used in 2003, when Sastre won, a dehydrated Armstrong looked like death and Ullrich finally rode away from the Texan on the final ascent.

Time gaps tend to be modest, rather than substantial, because folks wait for the final climb.
Riders with intent, take note.

Yup.
The words chalk and cheese, spring to mind.

Apparently with the difficulty of the tour so far, and perhaps with the supposed decrease in clinic type help as well, the riders are already very tired. On eurosport they said they expect most of the favourties to start losing lots of time on some stages. So even if contador and schleck dont set a high pace, it wont be too big a surprise to see a menchov or a samu or a gesink or a levi or a basso have difficulty staying with them even if the pace isnt to high - kind of like evans on the madeline.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Chances are that best of climbing buddies Schleck and Contador finish together. Here's hoping that Gesink can suck their wheels and outsprint them.... Wont happen, but a man may dream.

Only question is whether someone abitious (like Sanchez maybe) already attacks on the Pailheres and tries to make the difference on the descent perhaps. Should produce some good racing; that final climb is Giro-level nasty.

Not so sure Schleck and Contador will finish together tomorrow. I think El Pistolero sprinting away from the yellow jersey yesterday was just a taste of things to come - and showing Andy that he can run his mouth to the press all he likes, Contador isn't scared of anybody in the high mountains.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Conta win the stage and take yellow, with Andy finishing with Gesink, Sammy and maybe a couple of others. Would be nice to see someone make good on an attack on the Pailheres though; this Tour is shaping up to be interesting.

Oh yeah, not expecting either of the Liqui boys to finish with the front group tomorrow.

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Pailheres is a great climb, but Contador and Schleck won't attack. Maybe some outsider will do. I bet for Basso, Cunego or Gesink to take the victory tomorrow

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully Sylvester Szymd and John Gadret, maybe the two best non-GC climbers, do something today. My Prediction would be Contador wins with Schleck and Rodriguez at 20-30sec. Menchov will struggle and VDB will stay with S. Sanchez to finish 50sec-1min back.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
oh, alright. *someone* has to say it, might as well be me:

soler by half a wheel length over sagan, with frank schleck closing too late threeo bike lengths back. :p

meanwhile, back in reality: contador, schlecklette, and sanchez duking it out after andy attacks on the final climb...contador for the win.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
say what? This has to be 10 characters to post

sorry about that. i admit *i* am a character...just not 10 characters in one. i don't really know what key i hit to make that post...fixed it asap.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Weather forecast for tomorrow is meant to be cooler so thats some relief for the peloton. I expect the real action to begin on the final climb as i believe AC and Schleck junior to wait for the stages after the rest day, so it may be a chance for another of the GC contenders.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Kreuziger doesn't have better days this week. Tomorrow will be a decisive stage, I don't see Contador and Schleck finishing together, Sammy Sanchez won't maintain third this week, I expect Menchov to see him off.

What I hope to see is something similar to stage 7 last year, with a group getting away early and holding it to the line. This was the stage that gave us Brice Feillu and Nocentini in yellow. It also resulted in a little of a GC battle with attacks on the way up by Cadel and then AC.

That said I think the peloton is tired and we will see whatever break goes getting caught and dropped early on the final climb (or late on the penultimate climb), and then a GC slugfest home. Perhaps if someone outside of the top 11 can hang, then maybe they can attack late for a win (a'la Sastre n the 09 Giro). Otherwise AC attacks AS in the final 5K to take yellow.

Tomorrow is also the day for Menchov, Samu, Gesink, VDB2, and/or Levi to say not so fast on it only being a race for AC and AS. Also forthose outside of the top 8 to make a run at the podium.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I think this is the stage Contador fans have waited all year for. Concerns are that Navarro (and Hernandez) went down today, and that Vino has used a lot of energy the past two days. Tiralongo should be ready, and hopefully De la Fuente will be ready to step up.

Schleck said a week ago that he was in the best shape of his life. I think he might have peaked a bit early, and that Alberto is just coming into top form. I don't know where the attack will take place, or who will initiate it, but Contador crosses the line first, hopefully on the bike with my name and 249 others on it.

It should be a fun stage for a fight for the podium spot.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I think this is the stage Contador fans have waited all year for. Concerns are that Navarro (and Hernandez) went down today, and that Vino has used a lot of energy the past two days. Tiralongo should be ready, and hopefully De la Fuente will be ready to step up.

Schleck said a week ago that he was in the best shape of his life. I think he might have peaked a bit early, and that Alberto is just coming into top form. I don't know where the attack will take place, or who will initiate it, but Contador crosses the line first, hopefully on the bike with my name and 249 others on it.

It should be a fun stage for a fight for the podium spot.

I think Navarro and Hernandez were kicking it chilled at the back today.

Navarro is a machine.

Oh, Vino ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Pretty much time for Liquigas to begin asserting themselves. They have been waaaay too quiet.

Szmyd and Basso are wasted after the Giro and you can't expect Kreuziger to start the fireworks all alone.

TRENDING THREADS