• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 14 - Sunday, July 18 2010, Revel - Ax-3 Domaines, 184 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theswordsman said:
I think this is the stage Contador fans have waited all year for. Concerns are that Navarro (and Hernandez) went down today, and that Vino has used a lot of energy the past two days. Tiralongo should be ready, and hopefully De la Fuente will be ready to step up.

Schleck said a week ago that he was in the best shape of his life. I think he might have peaked a bit early, and that Alberto is just coming into top form. I don't know where the attack will take place, or who will initiate it, but Contador crosses the line first, hopefully on the bike with my name and 249 others on it.

It should be a fun stage for a fight for the podium spot.

I saw Hernandez's crash. He's not injured. Embarrassed? Yes. Injured? Not so much.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I don't get the fuss about Kreuziger from some people. He lost 3'45 in the Madeleine stage, which is also still 1'45 on the group Menchov.
He doesnt have it.

You can't be sure that he had a bad day or he is out-of-form. I will give him a chance for sure.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
This is definitely not the hardest stage this year. Astana should go for the typical man-up-the-road strategy and let AC break the race apart on the HC climb.

what I like about the current situation is that we the fans are going to witness a duel- unlike past years, we have the two best climbers of the world grinding their teeth to out ride each other--best scenario can't be asked for:)
depending on early breakaways, the stage could be won by an outsider or perhaps a battle by AC, ASchleck, Gesink & "Purito" JRodriguez...
exiting times are ahead:)

hfer07 said:
what I like about the current situation is that we the fans are going to witness a duel- unlike past years, we have the two best climbers of the world grinding their teeth to out ride each other--best scenario can't be asked for:)
depending on early breakaways, the stage could be won by an outsider or perhaps a battle by AC, ASchleck, Gesink & "Purito" JRodriguez...
exiting times are ahead:)

The two best climbers of the world are not in this race. Not even 3 best, Ricco, Sella and Rasmussen.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
surely the big two will attack on the first climb...astana want to blow saxo up asap on the stage..
my bet is that we will see a group of 5 go over the top... then a group of 8 catching up on the way down only to be dropped again... ac an andy going for it!! saxo will chase the break down before the hc climb..

Yossarian12 said:
What I hope to see is something similar to stage 7 last year, with a group getting away early and holding it to the line. This was the stage that gave us Brice Feillu and Nocentini in yellow. It also resulted in a little of a GC battle with attacks on the way up by Cadel and then AC.

That said I think the peloton is tired and we will see whatever break goes getting caught and dropped early on the final climb (or late on the penultimate climb), and then a GC slugfest home. Perhaps if someone outside of the top 11 can hang, then maybe they can attack late for a win (a'la Sastre n the 09 Giro). Otherwise AC attacks AS in the final 5K to take yellow.

Tomorrow is also the day for Menchov, Samu, Gesink, VDB2, and/or Levi to say not so fast on it only being a race for AC and AS. Also forthose outside of the top 8 to make a run at the podium.
the thing is a stage 7 doesn't have the same importance as a stage 14. Any topographic similarities will be addressed in function of the current stakes of the GC riders. I am sad to note that for a few years now, the top GC contenders have not spiced their win with a fight for the mountain jersey. When the two battles were combined but the leaders, it used to change how they rode the last mountains days.