• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 15 - Monday, July 19 2010, Pamiers - Bagnères-de-Luchon, 187 km

TDF Stage 15 - Monday, July 19 2010, Pamiers - Bagnères-de-Luchon, 187 km

Since we are now in the Pyranees, and todays stage was a slight let down, lets move on to the next.

gr215983_600.jpg

gr214613_600.jpg

2 catergory 2 climbs followed by the TDF tradition of having the big climb 20k from the finish.

The climb is the Hors Catergory monster, Port de Bales. Maybe, just maybe, the Contador and Schleck brief lapse is a sign of things to come. Dont count on it though.

Expect fatigue to play a big part and favourites to be distanced. Seems the list has narrowed to Rodriguez, Gesink, Menchov and Sanchez who can stay with Schleck and Contador on the big climbs. My guess is that that group to cross the summit together. No secret who is the best on the descent from those.

The men will be seperated from the boys.

Come on Samu.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
After today's disgrace of a stage, I expect some fireworks. Technical descent, hard mountain, cumulative fatigue...Though in the end I think current top-4 in GC should come to the finish together. Or maybe, just maybe, with negligible gaps.

Delicato said:
After today's disgrace of a stage, I expect some fireworks. Technical descent, hard mountain, cumulative fatigue...Though in the end I think current top-4 in GC should come to the finish together. Or maybe, just maybe, with negligible gaps.

Namely the king descender.

He made up 40 seconds on the descent of the madeline. This time he does not need to save for a 10k straight.

If hes good enough he will bait contador and Schlecklet into crashes, propeling himself into the maillot jaune (he doesnt need to bait menchov into crashing)

:p

Hushovd to go in the early break for sprint points. The Contador Schleck stalemate will continue, and Hushovd will score sprint points at the final too!!
(okay, probably not, but would be fun :))

May 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Namely the king descender.

He made up 40 seconds on the descent of the madeline. This time he does not need to save for a 10k straight.

If hes good enough he will bait contador and Schlecklet into crashes, propeling himself into the maillot jaune (he doesnt need to bait menchov into crashing)

:p

Made up on descent and nearly cracked on the final flat part. Fortunately, tomorrow it is only downhill to the finish.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Perhaps i should not get to excited about Sanchez on the descent.

I was so hoping arroyo would take back 1 and a half minutes on the gavia descent but given a choice between pleasing me and his own life, he chose his own life:(

Such a spoilsport, that Arroyo. Samu, on the other hand, will hopefully delight us with his usual heart-in-mouth descending. Would love for him to take this one and the route certainly suits him.

Will any of the GC guys lose time tomorrow? Menchov doesn't love a technical descent and the likes of Andy need to not take too many risks.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Expect fatigue to play a big part and favourites to be distanced. Seems the list has narrowed to Rodriguez, Gesink, Menchov and Sanchez who can stay with Schleck and Contador on the big climbs. My guess is that that group to cross the summit together. No secret who is the best on the descent from those.

The men will be seperated from the boys.

Come on Samu.

Any Predictions on the top 3 - another surprise winner on the stage??

a surprise winner

With pretty much all the contenders watching each others. And the battle for 10th very tight.. I give Vino for the stage finish if the break has been caught by the bunch before the summit.. This is not based on anything but my fantasies

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My prediction: Armstrong summits Aspet first, then steps off of his bike. Brajkovic, his shepard for the past two weeks, goes on and gets the stage win.

Another prediction: This forum will continue to have a visceral, and blinding, hatred of Armstrong.

Odds on my predictions?
1:200 on the first,
100:1 on the later.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
After this stage I don't know what to think... Andy seems to be playing mind games and AC too...

well besides that... This stage looks nice for a breakaway but we have to check how tired start to be the peloton... I'm not going with a breakaway... that will die in the HC Le Port de Bales...

Winners: Samu Sanchez or LLSanchez
Darkhorses: AC (If he managed to break Andy's legs in the last climb), Vino or The Silent Assasin

I want to see what is going to happen cuz the fatigue is starting to take her toll in this race... also we will see who is recovering good and who is recovering GREAT!

musclesza said:
Any Predictions on the top 3 - another surprise winner on the stage??

good to see my opinion is worth something:D

thats very generous of you.
And here i thought i was just writing for myself.

A wild prediction, but i really liked what Caisse did on the madeline stage, putting 3 in the break to work for lulu. It didnt quite work out as it could have but it was still a brave move for a team without a gc hope.
If they wanted to do it again, today would be a good day to try, as luis leon is a brilliant descender, and if the break can deliver him to the summit, he can take it from there.

And i do expect the break to stay away.

TRENDING THREADS