• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 9 - Tuesday, July 13 2010, Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, 204 k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2009
Visit site
Breakaway wins it, but I hope to see some action on the Madeleine. I remember back in 98, Jan Ulrich put in a massive acceleration on the Madeleine and only Pantani could follow (barely). He gained some time on Julich and company.

I hope to see uniballer fetching water bottles for Levi.:p

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
I hope to see uniballer fetching water bottles for Levi.:p

I think this is likely - good PR.

Gesink and Menchov is a good combination, if they are both strong, Gesink is too good to ignore when he attacks, allowing Menchov to follow wheels until the final time trial.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't think we'll see much happening in terms of GC shakeups, probably the same guys who were in front yesterday will finish in a group, with Sanchez taking the win. Basso won't get away, this is not the Giro where he can ride everyone save one or two riders off his wheel. There are 5 or 6 Bassos in this race.

Yes, with 30K of descent at the end, all of the GC contenders will be together. I hate when the TdF officials waste a great climb like this!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:
Yes, with 30K of descent at the end, all of the GC contenders will be together. I hate when the TdF officials waste a great climb like this!

There could be an attack creating a smaller front group, say 5 people instead of 10, but no solo finishes probably.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Saxo should send Spartacus in the break. If it stays away Andy can attack on the last climb and will have a teamate to help him on the other side.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
PizzaBoy said:
Saxo should send Spartacus in the break. If it stays away Andy can attack on the last climb and will have a teamate to help him on the other side.

Spartacus will be happy if he gets over the madeleine in the bus ;) Andy's on his own.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
PizzaBoy said:

Yeah, that would be ideal, but I don't think Cancellara can stay ahead of him at the end of a long and hard climb like la madeleine, he would need 8 or so minutes at the bottom.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Liquigas said:
Yeah, that would be ideal, but I don't think Cancellara can stay ahead of him at the end of a long and hard climb like la madeleine, he would need 8 or so minutes at the bottom.

Pretty much, it's a great idea in theory and Saxo might even try it, but it probably won't work.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Pretty much, it's a great idea in theory and Saxo might even try it, but it probably won't work.

i don't think he can help Andy on Madeleine. on the descent and 10km flat part - yes. but can he survive on Madeleine and stay ahead of the fav's group?

PizzaBoy said:

ErmOkk said:
Spartacus will be happy if he gets over the madeleine in the bus ;) Andy's on his own.

Nickbeam said:
i don't think he can help Andy on Madeleine. on the descent and 10km flat part - yes. but can he survive on Madeleine and stay ahead of the fav's group?

Cancellaras not that bad a climber. We dont see him do it in gts because he has no motivation to. He wont be able to help Andy Schleck on the col de la madeline but evene if the breakaway gets caught and passed on the climb, if they are close enough, canc can take back time on the descent and help andy on the flat.
Its a good idea, and possibly worth it. Afterall, cancellara isnt really needed till stage 20 (when he gets them a bit of money with a stage win).

The Hitch said:
Cancellaras not that bad a climber. We dont see him do it in gts because he has no motivation to. He wont be able to help Andy Schleck on the col de la madeline but evene if the breakaway gets caught and passed on the climb, if they are close enough, canc can take back time on the descent and help andy on the flat.
Its a good idea, and possibly worth it. Afterall, cancellara isnt really needed till stage 20 (when he gets them a bit of money with a stage win).
Cancellara can climb on a good day, if the climb is not too long or steep. The Madeleine is long. Very long. And steep too. This plan ain't gonna work.

Tour 2006

Does this stage reminds you of this one
profile17.gif

Day before an american lost 10 minutes on the final climb. Day after on this stage he pulled 6 minutes back.

Can Armstrong make another attack of a desperate man and end the day as a superman???

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Does this stage reminds you of this one
profile17.gif

Day before an american lost 10 minutes on the final climb. Day after on this stage he pulled 6 minutes back.

Can Armstrong make another attack of a desperate man and end the day as a superman???

If the testing were where it was in 2005... maybe. Today... not going to happen.

Lance may give it a go halfway up the last climb and try for a stage win... but he's not making back 5 minutes. 30 seconds to a minute tops.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I want to see Brajkovic go for a long one.

a) Because he deserves to be given his chance after chaparoning Armstrong yesterday
b) It would prove Radioshack has a future
c) It would give the other teams something to think about.

TRENDING THREADS