• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF stge 1 Monaco ITT, 15.50 km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it was a very interesting prologue. It would have been more interesting if Astana was broken into two teams. Loved the power of Cancellera. What a statement. Sastre didn't loss that much time either, maybe starting to say I am not just a climber. ASO did a good job on the planning of this stage, IMO.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
L29205 said:
I think it was a very interesting prologue. It would have been more interesting if Astana was broken into two teams. Loved the power of Cancellera. What a statement. Sastre didn't loss that much time either, maybe starting to say I am not just a climber. ASO did a good job on the planning of this stage, IMO.

Both Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly had picked Cancellara as they're pick for the overall win this year, and that was before today's stage had even started. Is there enough time trialling for that to be possible?

jackhammer111 said:
first stage 07 contador was not even in the top ten in a much shorter prologe over 30 seconds down. didn't show up in the top then until stage 8 which was the 2nd mountain stage.

AC made a strong statement but it's not over yet.

This is 2009. Contador is a MUCH better time trialist than in 2007 (hell he BARELY held on to win against the charging Cadel Evans in the final TT). And he will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Lance in the mountains. It's over.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
535xiguy said:
Last years tour became a joke when Astana was excluded. My wife and I still enjoyed watching it but I couldn't help feeling disappointed that we didn't get to see Contador and Leipheimer compete.

I will be surprised if Carlos Sastre finishes in the top 5 this year.

AC was the favorite to win the Tour (and still is after the first stage) but counting LA out after one stage is a mistake. This tour will be decided in the last week, not the first.

This is going to be fun :)

If Astana win the TTT on stage 4 most likely none of the Astana riders will lose any time on stage 7's low grade climb which likely means the top 4 contenders going in to stage 15 will be 4 Astana riders (since there are not time bonuses for top 3 finishes again this year) all separated by 22 seconds with everyone else behind. It looks to be a crazy last few days.

A

Anonymous

Lance was right about 2 things.

1. Cancellara was the man to beat.

2. Don't overdo the climb and win it on the back side.

Cancellara did that to win.

Lance overcooked corners on the decent.

Even if he doesn't win it he's certainly not embarrassing himself.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
rolfrae said:
Both Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly had picked Cancellara as they're pick for the overall win this year, and that was before today's stage had even started. Is there enough time trialling for that to be possible?

In my opinion no, ASO has tried to make this a race that will be won in the last week. Also, ASO will not put a TT in a place where it can decide the race, in 86 they found that was not a good idea. Whomever shows themselves to be a climber and TT'er. will win the race.

AC is my pick but I will not count out Kloden, Levi, or LA. That is the problem with the TdF this year. Split Astana give them the domestics they already have and let the race begin.

Four riders in the top 10 after the prologue.

jackhammer111 said:
Lance was right about 2 things.

1. Cancellara was the man to beat.

2. Don't overdo the climb and win it on the back side.

Cancellara did that to win.

Lance overcooked corners on the decent.

Even if he doesn't win it he's certainly not embarrassing himself.

Of course not!!! who says he wants to win the tour?

jaylew said:
I really do think it was a good time for him. I've been saying for awhile that he hadn't shown any of his old TT form.
With the TTT and then the 40km ITT on Stage 18 during crunch time, I'd say he's thus got serious time to make up in the mountains then.

rolfrae said:
Both Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly had picked Cancellara...
You sure you read that right? Roche says here he thinks Contador will win, and Canc may be in the top 5, which would be impressive.

issoisso said:
Either you mean "In the USA" or your sentence is strongly opposed to reality.
I am not trying to dis Lance here, but the sport has been pretty big in the US for a while, even before Lemond there was a strong underground. The growth of the internet, and cable TV during that time frame helped grow the sport, but also gave it great exposure. Lance did help to the mainstream US audience, that is true.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
This is 2009. Contador is a MUCH better time trialist than in 2007 (hell he BARELY held on to win against the charging Cadel Evans in the final TT). And he will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Lance in the mountains. It's over.

That could be true... I'm just saying we don't know yet.

I think it will be more interesting if it's not decided early than if Astana just powers AC away from the field.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I think you guys are just too anti LA , I agree AC is the man ( machine? ) which is likely to come on top at the end of it.

that being said, you can't rule anyone out after only 1 stage .
I must add , AST is too strong! they may even make it 1,2,3,4 at paris .

Supposedly Fabian lost some serious weight. He was all muscle, and not thin at all, for what I could see.
A big guy like him being so close to Contador after minutes of constant climbing in a prologue that's really not a prologue...perhaps he DOES climb much better now. If he can stick with the front runners uphill, he could give them the hurt on the downhill.
I like time trialists, and believe they often climb less well than they could. Always believed in Zabriskie, too bad he doesn't seem to believe in being a climber. I'm much bulkier myself, 83kg when top fit, but have never needed that as an excuse to not climb with my best and ligtest contenders.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am Anti Versus.

The clock was off, sometimes the French timer showed up in the picture, they did not stop the clock at the intermediate line, they did not show the intermediate times of the people (even major contenders) at the intermediate line (they had to GUESS their times), too many breaks (it's cycling, ads are on the jersey's of riders, no more commercials required), too much yapping about Lance while knowing squat about other riders (erm not knowing Kreuziger's TT abilities, expecting Grabsch to be in the mix today?)...

Trying to be too flashy on TV (their own computerized fancy little screens with 'info') does not work if the general content of the show is really poor...And even then, they couldn't get the tech right.

Embarrasing

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Either you mean "In the USA" or your sentence is strongly opposed to reality.

Sorry, I should have stated "in the USA" but thought it was obvious - the sport has been popular in Europe for a long time. Of course, I am opposed to reality ;)

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Supposedly Fabian lost some serious weight. He was all muscle, and not thin at all, for what I could see.
A big guy like him being so close to Contador after minutes of constant climbing in a prologue that's really not a prologue...perhaps he DOES climb much better now. If he can stick with the front runners uphill, he could give them the hurt on the downhill.
I like time trialists, and believe they often climb less well than they could. Always believed in Zabriskie, too bad he doesn't seem to believe in being a climber. I'm much bulkier myself, 83kg when top fit, but have never needed that as an excuse to not climb with my best and ligtest contenders.

while cancellara has indeed lost weight and improved I still think 180km over 4 mountain passes is still a bit beyond him.

rolfrae said:

I think they based upon the lack of serious climbing and The Tour de Suisse.

Surely, there can be no Astana doubt now?
Andreas "mine's a pint" Kloden, will have his obligatory bad day in the hills.
Levi will suck, when he should blow.
Lance may have the mouth of a twenty year old but the legs are past their sell by date.
When was the last time he scraped into a Tour trial top 10 and got beaten by an Eyetalian?

Got to be Albie.

Watch out, though, the men in white may cause a fright! Both top contenders look to have great form.

jackhammer111 said:
That could be true... I'm just saying we don't know yet.

I think it will be more interesting if it's not decided early than if Astana just powers AC away from the field.

I think the question of the leadership of the team should be over. Tactically you obviously want to keep as many of your riders viable as possible. But Contador is your best bet and they should protect him accordingly.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I am not trying to dis Lance here, but the sport has been pretty big in the US for a while, even before Lemond there was a strong underground. The growth of the internet, and cable TV during that time frame helped grow the sport, but also gave it great exposure. Lance did help to the mainstream US audience, that is true.

In the 80's in the US I had to travel 2-3 hundred miles, in order to get to a race. And this is in the cycling friendly state of Iowa (search RAGBRIA if you need a reference). Now, if I was still racing I only have to travel 50 to 100 miles for a weekend race. LA has brought exposure to cycling to the US. LA has his problems but he has help the growth of cycling in the US. I also think there was a big boost from Lemond. Not try to dis you at all Alpe but region to region there is variation.

I would completely agree with you that the Internet and expansion of cable and satellite TV has expanded the sport. Maybe more than any single rider ever could.

A

Anonymous

hfer07 said:
Of course not!!! who says he wants to win the tour?

I almost hate to waste space repying to this.

A lot of people who want to win, wont.

Some riders, like Menchov at this point, are at risk of embarrassing bad showings if they don't improve.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
535xiguy said:
Cycling is much more popular today that it was before LA. Like him or not, Lance has been good for the sport.

Sigh. I don't really want to go down this argument as its been done before, and this isn't the right thread BUT what do you base your opinion on? more popular how? i think race numbers are way down on what they were in the 70s, 80s and prob even early 90s. the USA hasn't won a world championship or olympic medal in cycling since the mid 80s.

Even if you look at the armchair sportsmen, there is only one US tv channel that shows any cycling at all, and they only show 2 hours a week outside the tour. they show more bullriding and bass fishing in a day than they do cycling in a whole week.

How many people in the general public can name one single pro except Lance?

Lance is good for Lance. Not for cycling.

TRENDING THREADS