• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF Team lineups

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
OPL:
Aerts, De Greef, Delage, Lang, Lloyd, Moreno Fernandez, Roelandts, Van den Broeck, Wegelius

Saxo-Bank:
A. Schleck, F. Schleck, Cancellara, Fuglsang, Breschel, N. Sorensen, Voigt, C. Sorensen, Larsson, O'Grady

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Euskaltel: Samuel Sánchez, Egoi Martínez, Amets Txurruka, Rubén Pérez, Juanjo Oroz, Gorka Verdugo, Alan Pérez, Iban Velasco and Iñaki Isasi.

peloton said:
OPL:
Aerts, De Greef, Delage, Lang, Lloyd, Moreno Fernandez, Roelandts, Van den Broeck, Wegelius

Saxo-Bank:
A. Schleck, F. Schleck, Cancellara, Fuglsang, Breschel, N. Sorensen, Voigt, C. Sorensen, Larsson, O'Grady

Cheers for those. I make it 10 riders for saxobank though? Difficult to see which one will be dropped.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
OPL:

Saxo-Bank:

That's the short list in the case of Saxo, there's 10 names on it.The 5 first names and Voigt are certain. The remaining 4 will be fighting for the last 3 spots. O'Grady is considered most likely to lose out due to his recent broken collarbone.

ETA: Semi-ninjaed by Frosty: Yes Riis has actually postponed the choice because he finds it difficult to figure out who to drop.
http://feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=&id=262&id_nyhed=26428 (Danish)

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:
hope not but I can see why they would cerberus - it would be weird as not seeing Stuey in a TdF

Well it's not settled yet. Larsson impressed me in TdS and C.A. Sørensen did well in Tour of Slovenia. I haven't heard much about N. Sørensen though (number 24 in tour of slovenia) and in any case O'Gradys main asset is supposed to be his experience as Road Captain. Something that's hard to assess from the outside.

Cerberus said:
Well it's not settled yet. Larsson impressed me in TdS and C.A. Sørensen did well in Tour of Slovenia. I haven't heard much about N. Sørensen though (number 24 in tour of slovenia) and in any case O'Gradys main asset is supposed to be his experience as Road Captain. Something that's hard to assess from the outside.

I think O'Grady will get it, was there at the Suisse so has shown he's recovered, but maybe not at top form. His leadership during the classics was imposing and for that reason I think he will ride.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
OPL:

Saxo-Bank:

you've got to include Nicki sorensen, right? that guy's money for a stage win in a long break.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I'm with you, but the Sponsors "ask" him to ride the tour, even knowing he got injured in the Giro---

i know, and to some extent i even "get it". he's your only real GC guy of note, and there's nobody else you've really got in the pipeline (that i'm aware of) but if you're the sponsors, you've got to look and realize you're racing this guy into the ground. sure, he could do 3 GT's in a year, but you're not going to get any kind of result.

ilillillli said:
you've got to include Nicki sorensen, right? that guy's money for a stage win in a long break.

Nope, they don't have to. Their desicion will be based on what they need to help the schlecks the best and not who is better at grabbing random stages. Nicki is no better at grabbing stages than Chris Anker, Jens Voigt or Fugelsang for example and all of those have less of a chance than Breschel Cancellara or the Schlecks.

My guess is that it comes down to if O'Grady is fit enough to do his job and wether they can manage without him. If O'grady rides I think it will be a desicion between Larsson and Nicki Sörensen for the last spot depending on wether they want more pure steep climbing help or more flattish/smaller climbs help.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Nope, they don't have to. Their desicion will be based on what they need to help the schlecks the best and not who is better at grabbing random stages.

well obviously. it just seems like in the past riis has really liked to send a man up the road to make some of the other contenders' teams work. he's done it a bunch with voight in the past and to some extent with sorensen more recently. obviously the GC is the goal, but a good all-rounder with a chance at a stage win isn't so bad either. mostly i was just rooting for they guy.

and, by the by, i really don't get what a 36-year-old stuart o'grady would add to this team. apart from stage wins, which you've already mentioned are of secondary importance. who's more valuable in the mountains: stuie or nicki?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Nope, they don't have to. Their desicion will be based on what they need to help the schlecks the best and not who is better at grabbing random stages. Nicki is no better at grabbing stages than Chris Anker, Jens Voigt or Fugelsang for example and all of those have less of a chance than Breschel Cancellara or the Schlecks.

My guess is that it comes down to if O'Grady is fit enough to do his job and wether they can manage without him. If O'grady rides I think it will be a decision between Larsson and Nicki Sörensen for the last spot depending on wether they want more pure steep climbing help or more flattish/smaller climbs help.

To be fair Nicki was looking better then Chris Anker on the climbs last TdF, he's also more experienced and probably a better all-rounder then Chris Anker.

Gustav Larsson was at the cobbled classics so could be useful at stage 3 but he's maybe running tired after both the giro and TdS?

With Fuglsang there I don't really see the need for Chris Anker. My guess is that Chris Anker will be left at home if Gustav and Stuart are in appropriate shape.

A

Anonymous

Rabobank's TDF 9: Menchov, Gesink, Freire, Garate, Moerenhout, Boom, Niermann, Tjallingii and Tankink (who replaces Ten Dam)

from cqranking

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I'm with you, but the Sponsors "ask" him to ride the tour, even knowing he got injured in the Giro---

Poor guy will unlikely have gas left in his tank to make it through the last week to make a notable impression on the overall.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Rabobank's TDF 9: Menchov, Gesink, Freire, Garate, Moerenhout, Boom, Niermann, Tjallingii and Tankink (who replaces Ten Dam)

from cqranking

a lot of strong riders on that roster. it'll be interesting to find a balance between setting up freire and deciding who works for who between gesink and menchov. if anything, they might have all their bases covered too well if they want to focus on and win the overall gc.

if all goes right, though, this team could win 3 jerseys.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Milram: Terpstra, Wegmann, Gerdemann, Ciolek, Kluge, Roberts, Fröhlinger, Knees, Rohregger

milram is one of those teams that i can't really understand what their plan is. Send Wegmann and Gerdemann up the road for stage wins after they're out of it? sorry, i don't really get how this is a pro-tour team. someone explain.

TRENDING THREADS