• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDU in Melbourne, Australia?

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
hugh0147 said:
Well, seems kinda obvious to me as I live here, the TDU has always been in ADELAIDE Australia.. (only 800kms off.)

not according to this article 'Evans joins team for Tour Down Under'
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-joins-team-for-tour-down-under

Melbourne has a habit of poaching Adelaide's events (don't mention the Grand Prix around there). But yes, that was perhaps a tad premature on our part.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Melbourne has a habit of poaching Adelaide's events (don't mention the Grand Prix around there). But yes, that was perhaps a tad premature on our part.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

That's because we are the best city in the world. WE would of got far more riders to the Lance ride if it was in Melbourne. Melbourne has better landscape in which we can hold bike races.

Sydney has no quality bike races, Greg which says alot about the city itself.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Melbourne has better landscape in which we can hold bike races.

I'm just looking outside my window...

No, still flat.

C'mon. Melbourne is a pancake. There are some nice hills in Victoria, but they're nowhere near Melbourne. If the TdU were held in Bright, I would agree with you. Don't think the fanbase is so big there, though!

edit - just saw the 'best city in the world' claim. [giggles]. Which other ones have you lived in?

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
That's because we are the best city in the world. WE would of got far more riders to the Lance ride if it was in Melbourne. Melbourne has better landscape in which we can hold bike races.

Geez, so you're not only ridiculously nationalistic you're obviously very protective of the city you live in as well!

I'm really looking forward to you guys holding the World Championships, rolling down a highway will be really fantastic. Flashbacks of the first few hours in Beijing...yawn.

auscyclefan94 said:

I agree 100%. Not sure whether that was supposed to upset me, because, as Graeme Brown would say "everything Robbie [read - you] said is factual".

Cheers
Greg Johnson

P.S. I'm just joking about the worlds, I just know you'd bite :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
I'm just looking outside my window...

No, still flat.

C'mon. Melbourne is a pancake. There are some nice hills in Victoria, but they're nowhere near Melbourne. If the TdU were held in Bright, I would agree with you. Don't think the fanbase is so big there, though!

edit - just saw the 'best city in the world' claim. [giggles]. Which other ones have you lived in?

In an international poll melbourne was voted as most liveable city...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Geez, so you're not only ridiculously nationalistic you're obviously very protective of the city you live in as well!

I'm really looking forward to you guys holding the World Championships, rolling down a highway will be really fantastic. Flashbacks of the first few hours in Beijing...yawn.

I agree 100%. Not sure whether that was supposed to upset me, because, as Graeme Brown would say "everything Robbie [read - you] said is factual".

Cheers
Greg Johnson

P.S. I'm just joking about the worlds, I just know you'd bite :)

Nothing wrong with being nationalistic, what bike races do sydney have that can stack up to

- 2012 Track World Championships
- 2010 Road Wrold Champs
- Herald Sun Tour
- Track World Cup
-National Championships

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Nothing wrong with being nationalistic,

'Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.' Samuel Johnson, 7 April, 1775.

In an international poll melbourne was voted as most liveable city...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_most_livable_cities

Face it - Melbourne is a great city, but a terrible place to put on a bike race. That's why they had to hold the World Championships in bloody Geelong. That's why I have to pedal 45km to find a hill, and at least 80km to find a proper one.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
'Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.' Samuel Johnson, 7 April, 1775.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_most_livable_cities

Face it - Melbourne is a great city, but a terrible place to put on a bike race. That's why they had to hold the World Championships in bloody Geelong. That's why I have to pedal 45km to find a hill, and at least 80km to find a proper one.

I was making the point to greg that melb/vic holds a lot of the major cycling races. Sydney has nothing much...Do agree on the terrain part.

auscyclefan94 said:

Australians make me laugh.

canyon-hole.jpg

:D

A

Anonymous

Sydney's lack of races says very little about the city, which managed to hold a well-regarded Olympic road race a few years ago, and everything about the state government. NSWgov.com - an arm of the Australian development and motorway building community - is easily the most anti-cycling pack of swine running a major city in the English-speaking world.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
Not if your from India.

Regards

Hugh

ooooo Burn!

oh wait, I assume you mean if you are the Indian media?
Either way, pretty weak trollish statement in the middle of.... well... a pretty weak trollish conversation!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefank said:
There are other places in Australia that offer more in the way of hills than Adelaide (Victoria, Tasmania, NSW), but given where it is in the cycling calendar, perhaps the TDU doesn't want/need any.

Actually I think that (at least according to the riders) the awesome thing about TDU is that each day they go back and sleep in the same hotel room they had the night before. How many other multi-day stage races do that? (Funnily enough, the Bay Cycling classic in Victoria is a criterium stage race that does the same thing....)

Actually what would be really cool is a proper TDU. Flight times inside the country are pretty mild so imagine a race with a stage in each state! Well, maybe not the NT given the time of year. But - ignoring the discomfort for the riders - you could do a climbing stage in Adelaide, the Ocean road in Victoria, etc.