• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team bikes transfers or rumours 2013?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 14 Set

Also, via @FranReyesF, the article mentions possibility of Vodafone (Vuelta sponsor already) + Cervélo supplying the bikes

Alonso-Euskaltel team

I'd hope Alonso would get his racing sponsors to help get something better.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Movistar will ride Orbea next year, it makes sense. I can't see any other way with Euskatel collapsing.

And Giant will sponsor Argos next year. Giant has a long history of Dutch connection (the first European Giant factory was built in the Netherlands), plus they spent so much time and money developing that Propel bike that was specifically designed for sprinters, so I can't see Giant staying out of the WT. They will get lots of sprinting exposure in Argos.

TheEnoculator said:
Movistar will ride Orbea next year, it makes sense. I can't see any other way with Euskatel collapsing.

And Giant will sponsor Argos next year. Giant has a long history of Dutch connection (the first European Giant factory was built in the Netherlands), plus they spent so much time and money developing that Propel bike that was specifically designed for sprinters, so I can't see Giant staying out of the WT. They will get lots of sprinting exposure in Argos.
If it was about exposure in the Netherlands, Giant should have stayed with Belkin. Argos won 4 stages in the Tour but didn't get nearly as much coverage. It's like 10 to 1 in terms of exposure.

Argos is more interesting for the German market, as soon as they start broadcasting cycling again (if ever).

Orbea seems the logical choice.

Honestly with the way Movistar has been going the last couple of years, if i were Orbea i would go all in on the sponsorship. It only makes sense as they have been sponsoring a team that gave them very little exposure for years now.

Helmet sponsor Catlike could get in the way as Orbea has been getting into the helmet business as well the last few years.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If it was about exposure in the Netherlands, Giant should have stayed with Belkin. Argos won 4 stages in the Tour but didn't get nearly as much coverage. It's like 10 to 1 in terms of exposure.

Argos is more interesting for the German market, as soon as they start broadcasting cycling again (if ever).

Belkin will americanize the team. It won't be as Dutch as it is now. If I was a betting man, I'd say Belkin will change its registrstion as a US team next year. Giant is more interested in the European market in the WT, so Argos is a proper choice for them. The fact that Giant dumped High Road for Rabo is a good example. It was also a good decision because Giant won its first ever GT with Rabo.

Besides Giant isn't as ambitious as Trek or Specialized when it comes to winning men's races. The everyday cyclist is the bread and butter of their business, winning WT races just adds more money to their bank.

TheEnoculator said:

The Giant - Shimano connection is at play here. Argos are already co-sponsored by Shimano, have Pearl Izumi and Pro gear (Shimano subsidiaries) so it makes sense that they would change from Felt to a company with closer ties to Shimano.

TheEnoculator said:
Belkin will americanize the team. It won't be as Dutch as it is now. If I was a betting man, I'd say Belkin will change its registrstion as a US team next year. Giant is more interested in the European market in the WT, so Argos is a proper choice for them. The fact that Giant dumped High Road for Rabo is a good example. It was also a good decision because Giant won its first ever GT with Rabo.

Besides Giant isn't as ambitious as Trek or Specialized when it comes to winning men's races. The everyday cyclist is the bread and butter of their business, winning WT races just adds more money to their bank.
Don't bet on it. Yes, when the rumours about Belkin first appeared it was speculated they were to become more American, but it turns out the sponsorship is an idea of their marketing department for Europe and Asia (the head of this department is Dutch, BTW). They want to increase their brand recognition outside America.

And if you look at what they've done so far on the transfer market, they've actually become more Dutch, not less.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Orbea seems the logical choice.

Honestly with the way Movistar has been going the last couple of years, if i were Orbea i would go all in on the sponsorship. It only makes sense as they have been sponsoring a team that gave them very little exposure for years now.

Helmet sponsor Catlike could get in the way as Orbea has been getting into the helmet business as well the last few years.

I will bet a cold coke that they will use Specialized from 2014 ;)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Today an interview with Unzué at Biciciclismo. In the text you can read

Canyon, se da por hecho, será la nueva marca de bicicletas, y montarán Campagnolo. Unzué prefiere no adelantar nada: “Es un hecho que se cambiará de bici, llegado el momento se hará oficial”

Link

canyonball said:
Today an interview with Unzué at Biciciclismo. In the text you can read

Canyon, se da por hecho, será la nueva marca de bicicletas, y montarán Campagnolo. Unzué prefiere no adelantar nada: “Es un hecho que se cambiará de bici, llegado el momento se hará oficial”

Link

WOW! Canyon with Campy

now let's see if the keep Katusha

TRENDING THREADS