• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now this could be fun, Ineos are sending their, supposed, Giro team to the Tour of the Alps. It seems like it's going to be mano o mano within the team to see who goes to the Giro and who will be team leader. Why have management when you can "let the road decide"!

When you’re a team like Ineos which has a bunch of guys all at a similar level, well below the ‘big four’, this approach seems pretty sensible to me.

Having said that, Tao looks quite clearly the best Ineos GC guy this year so will most like be the most protected rider. I think their Giro team will be the Tour of the Alps team minus Puccio with Ganna and Rowe added.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yep, Hart seems to be the Ineos man for the Giro.
The wild thing is that Tosatto said that they expect Thomas to be really strong in the 3rd week, even stronger than in the last Tour. Do they want him to go full 2020 Rohan Dennis? I find it a bit stage that Tosatto will be doing stage recons and not the riders. Right now it might be a bit late, but how about doing recons of some of the key stages before the winter (or a bit earlier) yourself, like Haig did with Zambanini on his side?

I expect Ineos were not sure who exactly would be going to the Giro, but the team will be there doing recon on the important stages before the start. The TT's especially will be mapped out in detail, and I like the fact the Giro has a TT BEFORE the rest day not after as the Tour normally does.

I don't know - Ineos/Sky have a long record of hiring riders and somehow messing it up. Since Bernal, things seem to have stagnated at Ineos.
Agreed. They don't seem to have a clear direction they want to go. Classics, week races GT's?

Pidcock seems to want to do Road, CX and MTB. Which is exciting but will he come to a point where they want him to concentrate on one?

Tullett looks like he's off to JV next season. That's a big loss of true.

Thomas looks like he's about to sign a new two year contract. What's Rowe's situation? When is his contract up? They have all this young talent and yet they seem to be holding onto the glory days. Yes Thomas got podium at the Giro, but would he if Remco etc had dropped out? They could sign experienced rides still at a younger ages to help these younger lads.

To me it looks like they've done a decent job with Martinez so far, he's had leadership opportunities and support and seems to be developing well. Clearly one of the bigger GC talents out there so unless he's set on moving to a Spanish team I'm sure they'll do everything to try to keep him. The flip side of Ineos being sidelined by the 'Big 6' is that there are leadership opportunities there that wouldn't have been available 4-5 years ago.

Reactions: MartinGT
Luke Rowe not pleased at missing out on the Vuelta - "I'm pretty f*cking gutted actually,"
"You have setbacks in life and in sport don't you? But I think what you've got to remember is it's a bike race. Let's keep things in context," Rowe concludes. "That being said. A career is full of highs and lows and you can be going really well, looking forward to great things and then the next moment told 'you can't do them'."
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ted-to-miss-out-on-ineos-grenadiers-selection

INEOS Grenadiers for the 2023 Vuelta a Espana: Geraint Thomas, Filippo Ganna, Egan Bernal, Thymen Arensman, Laurens de Plus, Kim Heiduk, Jonathan Castroviejo and Omar Fraile.

Reactions: Sandisfan and xo 1
It's a shame that, Luke Rowe was telling a story last week about Chris Lawless in a random 13k Settimana tt, sat on the back for the last 11k doing nothing then sprinted round everyone at the end, when they asked him wtf he was doing he said he wanted to finish at the front because he was going for time in the youth classification. Rowe was threatening to 'do a Lawless' and try and take the red jersey on the first Vuelta stage. Which would've been funny as ***, given they actually have a reasonable chance of winning that stage.

Luke Rowe not pleased at missing out on the Vuelta - "I'm pretty f*cking gutted actually,"
"You have setbacks in life and in sport don't you? But I think what you've got to remember is it's a bike race. Let's keep things in context," Rowe concludes. "That being said. A career is full of highs and lows and you can be going really well, looking forward to great things and then the next moment told 'you can't do them'."
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ted-to-miss-out-on-ineos-grenadiers-selection

INEOS Grenadiers for the 2023 Vuelta a Espana: Geraint Thomas, Filippo Ganna, Egan Bernal, Thymen Arensman, Laurens de Plus, Kim Heiduk, Jonathan Castroviejo and Omar Fraile.
Who would you have replaced?

• Wow
Jun 20, 2023
Visit site
Who would you have replaced?
In fairness to Luke, he asked the same question and conceded that it is a solid lineup without an obvious hole for him to plug. The wild cards for me are Bernal (although he fills a totally different role) and Fraile, who is going to be the de facto road captain. I don't understand Fraile's inclusion on the squad on a cycling basis, but I can't build a stronger case for Luke.

Sivakov was also quite upset to lose a spot, presumably to Bernal. It might have been an interesting choice if he wasn't leaving for UAE, but I doubt INEOS lost any sleep over that one once Egan signaled he wanted to ride.