• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

TMP402 said:
Well, the other factor of Viviani leaving the race is that the rest of the team now have more time on bottle duty and other such stuff Sky would wish they didn't have to do.

I saw that Viviani is close to a 2-year extension with Sky in both the Dutch and Italian press, must say that Viviani has disappointed he was my pick for the red jersey and Viviani vs Nizzolo would have been great to watch but alas no

Re: Re:

Hgriffiths2606 said:
TMP402 said:
Well, the other factor of Viviani leaving the race is that the rest of the team now have more time on bottle duty and other such stuff Sky would wish they didn't have to do.

I saw that Viviani is close to a 2-year extension with Sky in both the Dutch and Italian press, must say that Viviani has disappointed he was my pick for the red jersey and Viviani vs Nizzolo would have been great to watch but alas no

I honestly think that it is the track program he is on that has cost him on the road for 2016, I think we will see a different Viviani next season

May 16, 2016
Visit site

StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
TMP402 said:

I honestly think that it is the track program he is on that has cost him on the road for 2016, I think we will see a different Viviani next season
I have to agree with you there, if he was struggling on that kind of stage he would never have stayed within the limit on the climbs, it's a shame but I think He and Sky will take a step up in the sprints next year and if Italian and Dutch reports are to be believed then he will be staying at sky, the Vuelta seems to have a decent batch of sprint stages, perhaps Elia can salvage his season there. I have to say I think that Vuelta might be a bit of a training ride for sky with Froome and Landa both reportedly riding only Quintana standing in their way I do see
1. Froome
2. Quintana
3. Landa

StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
TMP402 said:

The kicker for Viviani is that if past results indicate the way the Olympics will play out, Gaviria will beat him in Rio, while also being able to beat him on the road.

Re:

yaco said:
Sky is a good fit for Viviani who has no pressure to ride, and of course he's capable without a lead out.

Yes he's capable without a train but imagine if a big Italian team wanted a train. There are good existing leadout men like Richeze and Sabatini, as well as many second or third tier sprinters who could be made into leadout men. With such a train Viviani could perhaps be as prolific as Greipel.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

JRanton said:
SBW confirms that Owain Doull will ride for Sky in 2017: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/a-changed-man-wiggins-returns-to-california-heavier-and-seemingly-happier/

Doull is an interesting rider. Focusing on the track this year but he has shown pretty good versatility on the road. Can time trial, sprint and climb a bit.

As for riders leaving, Zandio is expected to retire but no official confirmation yet.

I was hoping he would go elsewhere considering how talented he is compared to the opportunities he is likely to be given. So far he looks like a sprinter, but will be behind Viviani, van Poppel, Swift, etc.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

TMP402 said:
JRanton said:
SBW confirms that Owain Doull will ride for Sky in 2017: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/a-changed-man-wiggins-returns-to-california-heavier-and-seemingly-happier/

Doull is an interesting rider. Focusing on the track this year but he has shown pretty good versatility on the road. Can time trial, sprint and climb a bit.

As for riders leaving, Zandio is expected to retire but no official confirmation yet.

I was hoping he would go elsewhere considering how talented he is compared to the opportunities he is likely to be given. So far he looks like a sprinter, but will be behind Viviani, van Poppel, Swift, etc.

Viviani almost sure to leave after this season. Swift is not getting younger, might leave as well, and if he isn't, his constant injuries rule him out of consistent season. So yea Dwoull shouldn't be in that bad place.

Konig, Zandio and Viviani are pretty cert to leave. Big one could be Geraint as well, if Froome is keeping his high level for so long I can't see him staying for too longer.

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Gloin22 said:
TMP402 said:
JRanton said:

Viviani doesn't look like leaving, reports that he'll sign a 2 year deal, same with Swift, he sees sky as a simple home option for him and I don't see G leaving just yet, I think he'll let sky develops him for 2 more years, then either leave or be sky's leader

Viviani almost sure to leave after this season. Swift is not getting younger, might leave as well, and if he isn't, his constant injuries rule him out of consistent season. So yea Dwoull shouldn't be in that bad place.

Konig, Zandio and Viviani are pretty cert to leave. Big one could be Geraint as well, if Froome is keeping his high level for so long I can't see him staying for too longer.

At least they won their first monument I suppose but the Giro has been a complete disaster since early February with all the problems with the riders.

Landa, Viviani, Sergio Henao, Konig, Intxausti, Kennaugh and Kiryienka have all had issues which meant they either didn't start or had to abandon the race.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

b.broadhurst said:
Wait, wait, wait......

Froome Landa Thomas Poels Intxausti Konig Kwiatkowski Stannard Rowe

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fingers crossed for König being fresh for Vuelta, doing Tour in training mode only. Looks like Sky need some second option and König is not bad one.

Kokoso said:
b.broadhurst said:
Wait, wait, wait......

Froome Landa Thomas Poels Intxausti Konig Kwiatkowski Stannard Rowe

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fingers crossed for König being fresh for Vuelta, doing Tour in training mode only. Looks like Sky need some second option and König is not bad one.

No SKY rider will ride the Tour in training mode ...need to give 100% or else won't be picked
If Konig picked it will be for the mountains and not for training

JRanton said:
TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:
Kennaugh crash today, Kiryienka crash yesterday, Landa out of the Giro.... not a good couple of days.

In hospital with a broken collarbone, apparently. Should be fine for his annual British RR win and chorus of "what if"s.

What would be the ''what if'' in that scenario?

People used to tip him as the next British GT contender, but it seems like every season he has some series of injuries that makes it to be possible to argue he has not been allowed to show his potential. I think his wins in the last year have shown the path towards a career fulfilled - as a sort of punchy/hardman finisseur. But again, injuries mean he hasn't had many opportunities to show that talent since the Sky's escapades in Oceania.

TRENDING THREADS