• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

There is lot's of debate about Team Sky's Tour Squad.

I heard from a sources at the start of the year and since about the team. Initially the Long list contained all the riders who they felt were capable of performing at the tour.
This was Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Konig, Rowe, Stannard, Puccio, Kwiat, Kennaugh, Kiri, Nieve, S Henao, Intxausti, Roche, Golas, Knees and Lopez.

Since with some competing at the giro and other injuries this was shortened to :
Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Konig, Rowe, Stannard, Puccio, Kwiat, Kennaugh, Kiri, S Henao, Intxausti, and Goals.

Roche, Knees and Nieve were removed as they would be too tired after the giro.
Landa was always expected to do the TDF, like Konig did last year.

Yesterday I heard that this is the provisional lineup assuming no more injuries and illness.
Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Konig, Rowe, Stannard, Puccio and Kwiat.
Sky for last few years have gone with 2 GC riders, 3 Climbers, 2 Classics and 2 Roulers. I'm told this is again what they intend to do, with this team giving them plenty of fire power on the flat and uphill.

With Kennaugh, Kiri, Intxausti, S Henao, Golas in reserve, as well as Giro riders if need be.
Kennaugh had told the team he didn't want to ride the tour after last season's attempt where he failed to deliver.
Intxausti is seen as a less good option that Konig who have both been ill this year. But if Konig is in less good shape Intxausti will go.
S Henao was going to the Giro but has since been left on the potential Tour list if his Bio Passport incase is sorted out in time.
Kiri and Golas are seen as less good that the provisional 9 riders.

This potentially leaves sky with:
Froome and Thomas for GC. (You could maybe even Landa in that since he left the Giro)
Poels, Konig and Landa for the Mountains.
Puccio and Kwiatkoski for both mountains and flat.
Rowe and Stannard like last year to provide the horse power on the flat.

In my opinion and based on current form + pedigree this is arguably the strongest team in Tour History! Even challenging that of 2012 as the depth of the squad is insane. If you consider that every other rider on the squad is a leader for certain races throughout the year and all could win tour stages on their own.

Makes for a mouthwatering July!

Pricey_sky said:
Oliwright said:
Landa was always expected to do the TDF,

Roche said before the Giro that he plans to do all 3 GT's this year.

Yep and in the Facebook Q&A on the rest day on Sky Sports, he admitted that what he wanted and what the team wanter might end up being different.

Oliwright said:
Pricey_sky said:
Oliwright said:

Yep and in the Facebook Q&A on the rest day on Sky Sports, he admitted that what he wanted and what the team wanter might end up being different.

Good first post!

Sky has an extreme amount of possibilities for the Tour. I have also chimed in on the Tour-squad before in this thread and Im also pretty sure Roche will ride, possibly instead of Puccio. Konig is a question and Nieve was promised to do the Tour (so I was told) so I could easily see those 2 Giro riders place Konig and Puccio.

Valv.Piti said:
Oliwright said:
Pricey_sky said:
Oliwright said:

Good first post!

Sky has an extreme amount of possibilities for the Tour. I have also chimed in on the Tour-squad before in this thread and Im also pretty sure Roche will ride, possibly instead of Puccio. Konig is a question and Nieve was promised to do the Tour (so I was told) so I could easily see those 2 Giro riders place Konig and Puccio.

Agreed i could see that happening, but we have seen sky be very brutal with their selection and I'm told this is the strongest 9 riders they think they have.
If you remember Kennaugh not getting the start for the 2014 tour despite the British grand depart, as they thought there were better riders.

I heard that Nieve was meant to ride the tour, but since he was drafted late into the giro squad, I'm told he wont be in the team unless others can no longer make it. He has great experience which is why he was meant to go. But if you look at how Konig and Contador did at the tour last year, they weren't any where near top form and i think Nieve would need top form to beat Intxausti and Konig to a spot.

Oliwright said:
Valv.Piti said:
Oliwright said:
Pricey_sky said:
Oliwright said:

Good first post!

Agreed i could see that happening, but we have seen sky be very brutal with their selection and I'm told this is the strongest 9 riders they think they have.
If you remember Kennaugh not getting the start for the 2014 tour despite the British grand depart, as they thought there were better riders.

I heard that Nieve was meant to ride the tour, but since he was drafted late into the giro squad, I'm told he wont be in the team unless others can no longer make it. He has great experience which is why he was meant to go. But if you look at how Konig and Contador did at the tour last year, they weren't any where near top form and i think Nieve would need top form to beat Intxausti and Konig to a spot.

Sky should probably pull Nieve (and perhaps Roche) from the Giro. If he was promised the Tour, he can't object to leaving the Giro when his only purpose is the marginal possibility of stage hunting in which regard Boswell, Deignan, Henao, Lopez and Knees probably have as good a chance.

Re:

yaco said:
Strongest Sky team will have Kiriyenka - Need one rider who can do it day after day.

Roche can do it day after day as well at the Tour...usually rubbish when he has ridden the Giro but strong for all days of the Tour in the lower hills and early mountains slopes

The thing is SKY have soem excellent climbers and other riders but you need strong steady men to keep the show on the road, leader protected, fill in here and there when others fall by the way side

Kiryenka is your man alright and excellent in TTT but Roche is also strong

I would definitely bring them both if fit
I would also bring Landa
I think Nieve was promised the Tour so not sure how that works but he has probaly not ridden an all out Giro so could be ok

Konig I cannot imagine will be ready and neither Inxtausti and no way will Heano be 'cleared' as UCI take forever

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Today l'equipe are announcing Diego Rosa will lead Sky at the Giro next year. They have offered him 700k. See top of second-to-last paragraph.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 09.43.12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 09.43.12.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 3,072
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
yaco said:
Strongest Sky team will have Kiriyenka - Need one rider who can do it day after day.

Roche can do it day after day as well at the Tour...usually rubbish when he has ridden the Giro but strong for all days of the Tour in the lower hills and early mountains slopes

The thing is SKY have soem excellent climbers and other riders but you need strong steady men to keep the show on the road, leader protected, fill in here and there when others fall by the way side

Kiryenka is your man alright and excellent in TTT but Roche is also strong

I would definitely bring them both if fit
I would also bring Landa
I think Nieve was promised the Tour so not sure how that works but he has probaly not ridden an all out Giro so could be ok

Konig I cannot imagine will be ready and neither Inxtausti and no way will Heano be 'cleared' as UCI take forever

Interesting, there isn't a TTT in the tour this year. Roche and Nieve could end up going, but if others are fit eg Konig and Intxausti they won't. Roche admitted that he wouldn't be surprised if he didn't go to the tour.

Not many at Team Sky are guaranteed a Tour Spot, Brad won in 2012 and in 2014 he wasn't in the team.
You'd expect Stannard and Rowe to be guaranteed spots, but they say in interviews that they have to work really hard to get in.
Realistically
Froome, G, Kwiat, Stannard, Rowe, Poel and Landa will be in the Tour squad 100% if fit.
Kyrienka and Nieve haven't been great in stage races in recent times. Yes Kiri has been good in TTs, but they were both disappointing this season and in last year's Giro.
So I doubt it Nieve and Kiri were promised a Tour spot, rather he was told he was on the long list.

So with the 7 which i'm very confident will be in the squad assuming no more injuries and illness.
It leaves 2 spots.
Konig with his 3 top 10 finishes in GT's in the past 3 years is a class above the others and at 28 he's in his prime. So if fit he will go. He's proved that he can deliver at the last two tours.
If Konig isn't in shape, Intxausti, Roche and Nieve will go in that last climbing spot. (Even S Henao if cleared)

Since this tour is quite flat, i think they will take another engine.
This leaves Kiri and Puccio going for the last spot in my opinion.
Kiri has the reputation, but Puccio has improved so much this season and I expect him to be in the team a head of Kiri, as I think Kiri is past his best.

Re:

GdaG said:
Today l'equipe are announcing Diego Rosa will lead Sky at the Giro next year. They have offered him 700k. See top of second-to-last paragraph.

Diego Rosa has been linked for a long time. So wouldn't be surprised if he signed, but he won't lead the team at the Giro.
Landa is on a 2 year deal so you'd expect him to be back there next year.
Thomas if he stays at Sky will want GT leadership and he isn't going to get it at the Tour whilst Froome is around.
But i've heard Thomas will stay at Sky, as a British rider he can earn a lot more money at Sky than any other as they want British riders for the British market.
Konig is out of contract at the end of the year and I expect him to leave but if he doesn't, then he could lead at the Giro.

What has Rosa ever done to deserve leadership? It won't happen fictional story.

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Oliwright said:
GdaG said:

Diego Rosa has been linked for a long time. So wouldn't be surprised if he signed, but he won't lead the team at the Giro.
Thomas if he stays at Sky will want GT leadership and he isn't going to get it at the Tour whilst Froome is around.
But i've heard Thomas will stay at Sky, as a British rider he can earn a lot more money at Sky than any other as they want British riders for the British market.
Konig is out of contract at the end of the year and I expect him to leave but if he doesn't, then he could lead at the Giro.
Thomas is 90% certain to stay, I've seen loads of Articles with Rosa almost 100% leaving and Aru reportedly going to Trek gaining more momentum so where does that leave Astana? Surely Nibalo won't stay??? Landa will lead Sky next year I'm almost certain but they'd take rosa for development and a Plan B if needed and I've heard that König isn't sure at this point so we could be looking at a very Formidable team sky is Matthews and Rosa sign and they can keep the bulk of their squad, apparently Viviani and Swift are close on new deals and Henao is also

Funny how Landa abandons one day, the next day Sky seems to have worked a deal out with Rosa to lead the Giro. Lolz.

Im a really big fan of Rosa, he is a superb rider, but lets wait and see what he does in the Tour first before. Giro-leader is a big step up the ladder...

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Oliwright said:
GdaG said:

100% at Tour:

1. Froome
2. Thomas
3. Poels
4. Kwiat
5. Stannard

80 % at the Tour:

6. Landa
7. Rowe

30% at the Tour:

Golas, Kiri, Intxausti, Henao, Roche

0% for all the others.

My pick (when Henao will be cleared and Intx shows a solid TDS/Dauphine):

1. Froome
2. Landa
3. Thomas
4. Poels
5. Henao
6. Kwiat
7. Intxausti
8. Rowe
9. Stannard

with Kwiat as 3rd man (beside Rowe and Stanni) for the flats, positioning, echeolons and for the hilly, punchy finals at Froomey side.

boasson said:
Oliwright said:
GdaG said:

100% at Tour:

1. Froome
2. Thomas
3. Poels
4. Kwiat
5. Stannard

80 % at the Tour:

6. Landa
7. Rowe

30% at the Tour:

0% for all the others.

1. Froome
2. Landa
3. Thomas
4. Poels
5. Henao
6. Kwiat
7. Intxausti
8. Rowe
9. Stannard

with Kwiat as 3rd man (beside Rowe and Stanni) for the flats, positioning, echeolons and for the hilly, punchy finals at Froomey side.

Last time it took 4 months for Sky to finish the proceedings, since its taken 2 years for the UCI to charge Henao he won't be cleared in time.

Why are you so dismissive of Nieve, Konig and Puccio. All are riders who will be in contention!
Rowe and Landa will be in the team if they are fit.

May 16, 2016
Visit site

bigcog said:
MatParker117 said:
Nieve could stilo grab Sky a jersey at the Giro.

May be the mountains classification, unless he's too far behind already but would have thought if he does well tomorrow and remaining mountain stages he could win it despite deficit.
He's fourth 35 points behind, he's well in the hunt

boasson said:
Oliwright said:
GdaG said:

100% at Tour:

1. Froome
2. Thomas
3. Poels
4. Kwiat
5. Stannard

80 % at the Tour:

6. Landa
7. Rowe

30% at the Tour:

0% for all the others.

1. Froome
2. Landa
3. Thomas
4. Poels
5. Henao
6. Kwiat
7. Intxausti
8. Rowe
9. Stannard

I don't think Henao will be cleared in time. Also, I don't think they need Intxuasti and Kwiatkowski had been a little underwhelming this year but he'll make the team because of his name.
1. Froome
2. Landa
3. Thomas
4. Poels
5. Kwiatkowski
6. Roche - road captain
7. Kiryienka
8. Stananrd
9. Rowe
I would have choose one of Nieve/Intxausti/Konig(if fit)/Henao(if cleared) instead of Kwiatkowski.
Kiry, Stannard and Rowe are enough for flat.
Landa can tear every mountain stage apart all by himself. Still, Poels is a very good mountain domestique. Thomas is a their joker. He can ride on flats, hills and mountains. Heck, he can even go for GC by himself.

When people pick SKY teams they tend to pick on ability only ...but the composition of the team is more important..No point having 7 climbers when the race can be lost before any mountain or no point bringing riders who may have ability but are not good domestiques..For that reason I would bring Nieve & Roche before Konig & Kwait

I'd bring Kiry any day for the same reasons

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
When people pick SKY teams they tend to pick on ability only ...but the composition of the team is more important..No point having 7 climbers when the race can be lost before any mountain or no point bringing riders who may have ability but are not good domestiques..For that reason I would bring Nieve & Roche before Konig & Kwait

I'd bring Kiry any day for the same reasons

Agreed, when Sky went on Pure ability they end up with 2011 team which kinda sucked, when they've gone for pure composition and team moral they end up with that horrendus 2014 team they've got it just right in 2013 and 2015

TRENDING THREADS