• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Oliwright said:
On a different rider if Moscon carries on improving he is going to be one hell of a rider!
Moscon should improve a lot, especially when it comes to time trials.
Before turning pro he never trained on a TT bike, he never really cared about it.
In 2014 he rode the U23 ITT NC, but that was mostly because of the team, they pushed him into it, other than that he only raced the 2014 and the 2015 Tour de l'Avenir prologues (he finished 2nd in 2015, but that was a technical prologue with a climb in it).
He's the kind of rider that does well at Sky, he's got a huge engine, if he was a fragile pure climber it would be different, but usually young guys with big engines (mostly track riders) do well at team Sky, he seems to cope well with their training methodes and he has the right mentality (before the start of the season he said that the first season as a neopro was all about adapting to the racing level and a learning experience, he didn't expect any results and said that it was too early to start thinking about his first gt).

Gosh there are so many people on here who have so much insight info on SKY and seem to be the only people who know how SKY work or how teams are built ;)
Not to metion lecturing the rest of us on what riders will be picked but then going on to say such and such will be picked if so and so is not ill :D Well howdy doody ..what insights

Can I just say numbers do not equal selection ...and a team is not made up of many of the same otherwise its not really a team

Also number count for nothing ...some of the best numbers never translate into the best performance

The riders with the best numbers at Astana before the Giro in 2015 was Taarame
The rider with the best numbers (after Froome) at the 2015 Dauphine was Roche (who did not have a bad Tour last year ) and who was in great form at the Vuelta before crashing

I don;t care who goes to the Tour but I would not bring Kwait as not robust enough...As he is currently ill is a good indicator that putting him through 3 further weeks may not be a good idea
Kiryenkia on the other hand has just shown how strong he is in Suisse
its a no brainer...why this is up for debate is a wonder to me

Same with Heano versus Nieve. Of course I am one of those that doesn't know about inside SKY :D but even I know that a one week race is very different to a 3 week Tour and how you go over 3 weeks is key
Again given his experience and form and 3 week form I'f go Nieve every day

But hey hoe not long to go now to find out

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Oliwright said:
PremierAndrew said:
Oliwright said:
Sky Squad:

Froome
Landa
Thomas
Poels
Henao
Kiri
Stannard
Rowe

Nieve comes in for Kwiat who is out through illness

Think they got it right, I'd say that's Sky's best 9 atm

If Fit and on form I'd have Konig and Kwiat in the squad.

Inform Intxausti would've been there aswell.

Sky should just send a B-Squad actually so all their riders get a chance to race.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If they collectively show up in peak form, that will make for an immensely destructive mountain train, at least in the first two MTFs. The gaps will once again be extreme.

But it's no big deal. All Contador and Quintana have to do is sit behind the train and follow Froome when he eventually attacks. Should be no problem if they're better climbers.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
If they collectively show up in peak form, that will make for an immensely destructive mountain train, at least in the first two MTFs. The gaps will once again be extreme.

But it's no big deal. All Contador and Quintana have to do is sit behind the train and follow Froome when he eventually attacks. Should be no problem if they're better climbers.

if

JRanton said:
Certain: Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Rowe, Stannard

3 from these 5: Roche, Nieve, Henao, Kiryienka, Puccio

If Thomas isn't protected, which he shouldn't be, then it slightly changes the dynamic of the team. You can use him on the flat stages, which perhaps means you can get away with selecting 3 pure climbers in Landa, Henao and Nieve. Personally, I'd only take 2 of them but even with all 3 of them there would still be space for Thomas, Kiryienka, Stannard and Rowe which is an excellent block of riders to protect you on the flat.

So they went with all three pure climbers. As long as Thomas is used as a domestique then I think it's the right decision. Strong block to protect Froome on the flat and a strong block of climbers for the third week. From last year Landa, Henao, Nieve and Kiryienka replace Porte, Roche, Konig and Kennaugh. So stronger in the mountains but weaker on the flat. I think on paper it's the strongest sky grand tour team since the 2012 Tour.

That squad will be very intimidating in the mountains. Quintana and Contador have to avoid falling behind Froome in GC; otherwise they will have an almost impossible task trying to distance him, with all those 'doms' able to pace him back.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I can see what Sky was thinking. Mountains, mountains, mountains.

So they are not worry about the flat. They don't need as much help in the flat against Quintana and Contador. It is the mountains that they fear and want to control things.

Well, with Rowe, Stanni and Kiri you have 3 of the best riders in the world for flat streets and high tempo for long distances. When G struggled at the first Mountains you have 4 of the best in the world for the flats....

I think its enough. In the first week Etixx will control every flat stage, so its not a problem.

Oliwright said:
Sky Squad:

Froome
Landa
Thomas
Poels
Henao
Kiri
Stannard
Rowe

Nieve comes in for Kwiat who is out through illness

I argued and argued with you that it would include Kiry & Nieve

And no way would Puccio be included nor Kwait with his form this year

Also as Thomas & Poels were not climbing great at mo....they will be the bridge to Landa, Nieve & Heano

And neither Konig or Inxtasuti in form would have made this team

But you go ahead believing what you will and saying only you understand how SKY work ...

Thomas will most likely still be a protected rider. Fairly sure Sky think his performance in Switzerland was due to a lack of resistance to the cold because he's very skinny right now, and they fully expect him to be up there on the warm climbs in France.

Time will tell

TRENDING THREADS