• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Catwhoorg said:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-team-largest-budget-262275

top #3 are
Team Sky – €35m
Katusha – €32m
BMC – €28m

Average WT budget ~13 million Euros.
Anyone know the average without the Big Three?

If you add Tinkoff €25m to the top 3 then the average of the other 18 is about €11m per year.

I'm surprised Katushas budget is so close to Sky.

Yeah, Katusha must be severely overpaying their riders. I honestly never even heard of a lot of people on that team.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
1) Team Sky: 35 miljoen euro
2) Katusha: 32 miljoen euro
3) BMC: 28 miljoen euro
4) Tinkoff: 25 miljoen euro
5) Astana: 20 miljoen euro
6) Etixx-Quick Step: 18 miljoen euro
7) Movistar: 15 miljoen euro
8) Lotto-Soudal: 14 miljoen euro
9) LottoNL-Jumbo: 14 miljoen euro
10) Dimension Data: 13,5 miljoen euro
11) Orica-BikeExchange: 13 miljoen euro
12) Giant-Alpecin: 12,5 miljoen euro
13) Trek-Segafredo en AG2R: 12 miljoen euro
15) Cofidis: 11 miljoen euro
16) IAM Cycling: 10,5 miljoen euro
17) FDJ en Cannondale: 10 miljoen euro
19) Lampre-Merida: 7 miljoen euro
20) Direct-Energie: 6 miljoen euro
21) Bora-Argon 18: 4,5 miljoen euro
22) Fortuneo-Vital Concept: 3,5 miljoen euro

Wow, does anyone know where the Tinkoff money goes to? Is it only salary money or a complete budget? I don't undersrand it, they have Contador, Sagan and nothing else.

If those figures are accurate, Movistar really do produce the best return on investment in terms of results per euro. Of course, they are the last man standing in Spanish cycling, which gives them a number of big inbuilt advantages.

Of the small teams, Bora-Argon18 gets a lot of visibility for not a lot money. TdeF three years in a row, despite not being French, now doing two GTs.

Jakub said:
El Pistolero said:

Wow, does anyone know where the Tinkoff money goes to? Is it only salary money or a complete budget? I don't undersrand it, they have Contador, Sagan and nothing else.

It's total budget, but salaries of riders and staff is in all cases the main cost. In Tinkoff's case, well once you take out Sagan and Contador's salaries, which are huge, their remaining budget isn't abnormally huge. They would still be one of the teams paying more for less, which is presumably mostly down to every agent charging Tinkoff "oligarch prices". Cofidis and BMC are the most notable overpayers, in my view.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Jakub said:
El Pistolero said:

It's total budget, but salaries of riders and staff is in all cases the main cost. In Tinkoff's case, well once you take out Sagan and Contador's salaries, which are huge, their remaining budget isn't abnormally huge. They would still be one of the teams paying more for less, which is presumably mostly down to every agent charging Tinkoff "oligarch prices". Cofidis and BMC are the most notable overpayers, in my view.

Thanks!
Actually Astana pays 5 millions less and apart from Aru and Nibali they have superior team compared to Tinkoff. Movistar is even better and they pay nothing. Well, with apologies to the clinic rules: I am afraid theyare riding clean :-

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
If those figures are accurate, Movistar really do produce the best return on investment in terms of results per euro. Of course, they are the last man standing in Spanish cycling, which gives them a number of big inbuilt advantages.

Of the small teams, Bora-Argon18 gets a lot of visibility for not a lot money. TdeF three years in a row, despite not being French, now doing two GTs.

Moviestar and Etix give great value for money.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Yeah, fantastic team performance. Thomas, Kiri (doesn't like the heat) and Landa (also doesn't like the heat) were below their best but overall you couldn't have asked for much more.

Team ratings:

Poels: 9/10 An absolute beast in the second half of the race.

Nieve: 9/10 Unsung hero. Solid in the first half of the race and then excellent in the second half. Particularly impressive considering he rode the Giro. Very happy for him after he missed out on selection last year.

Henao: 9/10 Excellent in the first two weeks. Suffered a bit in the 3rd but still contributed pretty well. Again, very happy for him after what he's been through.

Stannard: 8/10 Positioned Froome brilliantly on the flat throughout the race. Strong in the windy stages.

Rowe: 8/10 Same as Stannard and he was even hanging on for quite a long time in the mountain stages in the 3rd week.

Thomas: 7/10 Perhaps a bit harsh considering he still contributed well on all terrains and considering he had an early crash. Just looked very human this year compared to 2015 when he was about as close to a 10/10 as you can get for a domestique.

Kiryienka: 7/10 Still got through a lot of good work but suffered on the hot mountain stages. Again, like Thomas, maybe the rating is a bit harsh and is more a reflection of what they're capable of at their best.

Landa: 6/10 Another rider who struggles in the heat. Was better on the wet, cooler, mountain stages.

UK's Daily Telegraph on Sky
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...own-everyone-else-out-of-the-water-at-the-20/
How Team Sky have blown everyone else out of the water at the 2016 Tour de France
"According to their 2015 accounts Sky’s money comes from a combination of title sponsorship (£15.6m from Sky, Sky Italia and 21st Century Fox), performance sponsorship (£2.96m from the likes of Pinarello, Shimano etc), value in kind (£1.98m from eg Jaguar cars in 2015, although the team have switched to Ford this year) and race fees (£3.8m from organisers to cover expenses when a team participates in a race). "

"They are there to service Chris Froome and to win the yellow jersey. There is no other goal."

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Any very early thoughts about who will be going to the vuelta for SKY? Especially who from their tour squad will go? I am starting to think that Froome will skip it :(

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
"They are there to service Chris Froome and to win the yellow jersey. There is no other goal."
Brailsford once said that he wants Team Sky to become the best sports team in the world. Not just best cycling team, but best sports team. Best in the world. They should have much more goals during the year to achieve that.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

janraaskalt3 said:
Robert5091 said:
Brailsford once said that he wants Team Sky to become the best sports team in the world. Not just best cycling team, but best sports team. Best in the world. They should have much more goals during the year to achieve that.

Well they did try for the Giro win with Landa.

Stannard and Rowe had a good crack at Roubaix.

Poels won LBL. Swifty 2nd at SanRemo.

They do have other goals, but for sure TDF is always #1.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
3 podiums in the 4 monuments is the best by any team this season fwiw

The best is winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen with panache in the rainbow jersey. LBL doesn't have the prestige of the Ronde. Not to mention another impressive win in Gent-Wevelgem.

pastronef said:
fungusbear said:
Any very early thoughts about who will be going to the vuelta for SKY? Especially who from their tour squad will go? I am starting to think that Froome will skip it :(

Landa, Roche, Konig, Intxausti, VanPoppel, Kiry, Henao, Lopez?

Puccio is surely due another GT, unless it's true that he's leaving, but even then I don't think of Sky as petty enough to punish a rider for moving teams.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

pastronef said:
fungusbear said:

I would be surprised if Landa went given he had the Giro earlier but the others probably are a good bet. Maybe Froome or Poels for Landa?

pastronef said:
fungusbear said:

Kwait & Kennaugh have no GT in legs so I think they will go
Intxausti also but form low

Roche, Konig, VanPoppel, Puccio, Lopez & Landa too

Swift may ride Tour of Britain but could go

Not sure Kiry will go and Henao may concentrate on 1 day races

janraaskalt3 said:
Robert5091 said:

i think if real Madrid could win the champions league 4 years out of 6 they would take it. i doubt they would give a *** if they lost in the first round of the copa del rey every year.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

And this is to me the meaning of a great team. Like them or hate them, people must understand that in colective sport this is the WAY that the best should do. You have a plan, you believe in your plan, you fight always for your plan...

Congratulations to a magnificent team, huge team ( i´m very sory that the team of my favorite rider isn´t like this one).

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Jakub said:
Thanks!
Actually Astana pays 5 millions less and apart from Aru and Nibali they have superior team compared to Tinkoff. Movistar is even better and they pay nothing. Well, with apologies to the clinic rules: I am afraid theyare riding clean :-
I'd say Astana don't look superiror on the paper, they look superior only if you now recent performances. Kiserlovski, Trofimov, Majka, Kreuziger - you can hardly consider them being no one. Only Kreuziger was fifth at Tour, won Amstel, had number of podiums at stage races. You won't find guy like that apart from Scarponi who's too old these days. And you could go on. Astana was actually crap at Tour, no one showed nothing exceptional there. Same at Giro - except for Scarponi and Nibali the team was quite crap.

Most importantly though - do you think you can believe these numbers? I don't think so.

TRENDING THREADS