• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 31, 2016
Visit site
Do you think Geraint could claim a podium finish at the Giro? I doubted it considering the talent he's up against but I think he can hold his own against Aru & Nibali.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:
Team Sky Startlist for Catalunya. Extremely strong.

11 Christopher Froome (GBr)
12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
15 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)
17 David Lopez Garcia (Spa)
18 Mikel Nieve Ituralde (Spa)
If thats the case, the Sky management has just sold Catalunya for the highest bidder. Not that I complain, but that seems extremely stupid to pick so many climbers with a 41 k TTT.

If T-A is anything to go by, Sky are a lot more fun to watch when they've lost a chunk of time from a TTT. :)

SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)
If thats the case, the Sky management has just sold Catalunya for the highest bidder. Not that I complain, but that seems extremely stupid to pick so many climbers with a 41 k TTT.

If T-A is anything to go by, Sky are a lot more fun to watch when they've lost a chunk of time from a TTT. :)
Definitely, but they are digging their own grave this way, I refuse to believe that will be the team.

Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

Froome, Poels, Kennaugh and Kiri are all good time triallists. If you add Rosa's strength and Lopez's ability to be anywhere I don't think they have that weak a TTT squad. Even Landa can time trial now...

greenedge said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

Froome, Poels, Kennaugh and Kiri are all good time triallists. If you add Rosa's strength and Lopez's ability to be anywhere I don't think they have that weak a TTT squad. Even Landa can time trial now...

Yes its ok but could be stronger, plus Froome is always a little under-par at Catalunya anyway, he usually just uses it to get race km's in the legs after a training block.

greenedge said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

G Thomas said next is Catalunya for him. If he does do it, Froome, G, and Kiri are extremely good TTists and with Kennaugh and Rosa's ability I think they should fare well.

Pricey_sky said:
greenedge said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

Yes its ok but could be stronger, plus Froome is always a little under-par at Catalunya anyway, he usually just uses it to get race km's in the legs after a training block.

Its possible that he takes up the role of super domestique to Geraint Thomas.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
13 wins out of the last 16 prestigious french stage races (P-N, Dauphiné, Tour).

To be honest, I'm bored.

14 out of 18 if you go back to the 2011 Dauphine, which was really the breakthrough win for Sky as a stage racing squad. Of the four 'failures', Wiggins crashed out of the 2011 Tour and Froome did the same in the 2014 Tour. Froome was in the leader's jersey at the 2014 Dauphine before crashing and then in the 2014 Paris-Nice Thomas was sitting second, eight seconds behind Betancur, with two stages to go before crashing out. Without the crashes I think Froome would have won those two races, Wiggins would have gone very close at worst to winning the 2011 Tour but Thomas would have remained 2nd at best behind Betancur.

Sky have been far less successful in the big Spanish and Italian stage races. They've never won the Giro, Tirreno, Vuelta or Pais Vasco. Just Porte's win in the 2015 Catalunya. So just one GC win since their inception in 2010 in those 35 (36 including this year's Tirreno) combined races. Just one monument win out of 35 attempts too (Poels at LBL in 2016).

Obviously Team Sky was basically founded with the explicit intention of winning the Tour so that explains a large part of the discrepancy in results but it doesn't tell the whole story. They've sent some extremely strong teams to the Spanish and Italian races. This year's Tirreno team is much stronger than their Paris-Nice squad for instance. Unlike the French races they've had some very near misses, particularly in Spain (three 2nds and a 3rd at Pais Vasco, three 2nds and a 3rd at the Vuelta). The Italian stage races have nearly always been a disaster for Sky due to crashes, illness and just poor performance generally. There has only been Uran's 2nd place at the 2013 Giro, after Wiggins went home, and Froome's 2nd place at the 2013 Tirreno.

Valv.Piti said:
SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

Definitely, but they are digging their own grave this way, I refuse to believe that will be the team.

The problem is the classics riders, many of whom time trial pretty well, are in Belgium. I really don't understand the thinking behind this ludicrously long TTT. It was the same in Valencia. Poels probably won't ride Catalunya due to the knee injury that kept him out of Paris-Nice. Maybe he will now target Pais-Vasco with Henao and Sky can switch Kwiatkowski to Catalunya.

What is it people don't like about sky? Is it that they've only been on the scene for a short amount of time and seem to win quite regularly, unlike some teams where their favourite rider is riding for? Is it that they have a larger budget so can bid more/over the top for the best (ish) riders therefore tipping the balance of fairness in their favour? Is it that they tend to bring on board top riders who in their own right could be fighting for GC on other teams but end up being doms for Froome in the Tour? Is it a clinic issue? Or is it just jealousy? A combination? Or something completely different?

Some don't like the way they say, ruin races with the mega choo choo train they have. I always thought the objective was to win the race. I'm sure the powers that be at sky don't give a hoot how they win races, on the road, (not clinic issues). Would Contador fans stop idolising him if he had gone to sky at some point, even if it meant him winning more races with having a decent team around him? Can you imagine the forums if Contador had won the Tour umpteen times more and the other GT's he could have added to his tally? I'm sure the clinic would be in meltdown. I don't understand the hatred at times towards a few teams, not just sky.

They joined cycling with a holier than thou attitude. They are not holier than anyone.

They joined cycling saying they have attention to detail. They made it sound as if other teams were fly by night chancers. Recent events have proved that they are very inattentive to detail.

Some of their "innovations" are eh innovative, but most of it is rehashed ideas from other teams and eras that they use to trick the public into thinking they are the cleverest people on the circuit.

They are owned and funded by a man and company with very dubious morals.

They are sanctimonious. I don't have a massive issue with how they race. I like the way (for instance) Froome, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Thomas, Stannard, Landa and Rowe ride. Overall the team ride in a boring fashion, but that is modern cycling.

Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
What is it people don't like about sky? Is it that they've only been on the scene for a short amount of time and seem to win quite regularly, unlike some teams where their favourite rider is riding for? Is it that they have a larger budget so can bid more/over the top for the best (ish) riders therefore tipping the balance of fairness in their favour? Is it that they tend to bring on board top riders who in their own right could be fighting for GC on other teams but end up being doms for Froome in the Tour? Is it a clinic issue? Or is it just jealousy? A combination? Or something completely different?

Some don't like the way they say, ruin races with the mega choo choo train they have. I always thought the objective was to win the race. I'm sure the powers that be at sky don't give a hoot how they win races, on the road, (not clinic issues). Would Contador fans stop idolising him if he had gone to sky at some point, even if it meant him winning more races with having a decent team around him? Can you imagine the forums if Contador had won the Tour umpteen times more and the other GT's he could have added to his tally? I'm sure the clinic would be in meltdown. I don't understand the hatred at times towards a few teams, not just sky.

Being annoyingly smug about their superiority in every facet of the sport and then all of the little catch phrases to describe their one-of-a-kind preparation techniques (Marginal gains being the most annoying), that border on the ludicrous and leans toward generally insulting the intelligence of the avid, experienced cycling fan. I could go on and on but I'd likely only be repeating what has already been posted prior to my own post.

I actually like some of their riders. It's just unfortunate that they ride for this team.

SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

Let's hope their wheels won't explode this time.
Never really found out though, was it several riders, or "just" Moscon?

Valv.Piti said:
SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:

12 Wout Poels (Ned)
13 Diego Rosa (Ita)
14 Peter Kennaugh (GBr)
16 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)

I don't think they'll necessarily try to win the race. Froome will be training as its his first european big race. Thomas will hardly be able to defy Contador in the mountains too.

JRanton said:
Alexandre B. said:
13 wins out of the last 16 prestigious french stage races (P-N, Dauphiné, Tour).

To be honest, I'm bored.

14 out of 18 if you go back to the 2011 Dauphine, which was really the breakthrough win for Sky as a stage racing squad. Of the four 'failures', Wiggins crashed out of the 2011 Tour and Froome did the same in the 2014 Tour. Froome was in the leader's jersey at the 2014 Dauphine before crashing and then in the 2014 Paris-Nice Thomas was sitting second, eight seconds behind Betancur, with two stages to go before crashing out. Without the crashes I think Froome would have won those two races, Wiggins would have gone very close at worst to winning the 2011 Tour but Thomas would have remained 2nd at best behind Betancur.

Sky have been far less successful in the big Spanish and Italian stage races. They've never won the Giro, Tirreno, Vuelta or Pais Vasco. Just Porte's win in the 2015 Catalunya. So just one GC win since their inception in 2010 in those 35 (36 including this year's Tirreno) combined races. Just one monument win out of 35 attempts too (Poels at LBL in 2016).

Obviously Team Sky was basically founded with the explicit intention of winning the Tour so that explains a large part of the discrepancy in results but it doesn't tell the whole story. They've sent some extremely strong teams to the Spanish and Italian races. This year's Tirreno team is much stronger than their Paris-Nice squad for instance. Unlike the French races they've had some very near misses, particularly in Spain (three 2nds and a 3rd at Pais Vasco, three 2nds and a 3rd at the Vuelta). The Italian stage races have nearly always been a disaster for Sky due to crashes, illness and just poor performance generally. There has only been Uran's 2nd place at the 2013 Giro, after Wiggins went home, and Froome's 2nd place at the 2013 Tirreno.

Interesting: so the conclusion is that the only rider of the current generation capable of beating Sky head-to-head in the top French stage races is Carlos Betancur. :p

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

barmaher said:
They joined cycling with a holier than thou attitude. They are not holier than anyone.

They joined cycling saying they have attention to detail. They made it sound as if other teams were fly by night chancers. Recent events have proved that they are very inattentive to detail.

Some of their "innovations" are eh innovative, but most of it is rehashed ideas from other teams and eras that they use to trick the public into thinking they are the cleverest people on the circuit.

They are owned and funded by a man and company with very dubious morals.

They are sanctimonious. I don't have a massive issue with how they race. I like the way (for instance) Froome, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Thomas, Stannard, Landa and Rowe ride. Overall the team ride in a boring fashion, but that is modern cycling.

This.This.This. Without getting clinical.

shalgo said:
JRanton said:
Alexandre B. said:

To be honest, I'm bored.

Interesting: so the conclusion is that the only rider of the current generation capable of beating Sky head-to-head in the top French stage races is Carlos Betancur. :p

Food for thought but don't tell Betancur you might accidentally motivate him !

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Angliru said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Being annoyingly smug about their superiority in every facet of the sport and then all of the little catch phrases to describe their one-of-a-kind preparation techniques (Marginal gains being the most annoying), that border on the ludicrous and leans toward generally insulting the intelligence of the avid, experienced cycling fan. I could go on and on but I'd likely only be repeating what has already been posted prior to my own post.

I actually like some of their riders. It's just unfortunate that they ride for this team.

Exactly. It is the way they're selling themselves which causes red spots on people's necks. If they were just a bunch of aggressive, bullying British guys I could actually like them. But there is absolutely nothing aggressive about Team Sky. They're talking and riding in that silly cautious way, "oh it was so stressful today but the objective was to retain the jersey and the team did a terrific job" please stop it! They act like it is completely normal that they always have that goddamn yellow jersey and ride upfront and have just to be attentive on their SRM numbers.

TRENDING THREADS