• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Now that Van Poppel has signed elsewhere at what point do we hear of Sky signing more replacements. Perhaps they might continue looking to the future in Christopher Lawless and Neilson Powless? Since I am fairly new to this sport, of those still on the market, at whom should Sky be looking to complete their roster? Thanks for your input.

I do wonder what the hell Poels is doing though. He is never involved with any of the pacing. Drops before Moscon/Nieve are done, and then finishes as 2nd Sky man. It's like he is riding his own Vuelta completely apart from the team. But what does it bring Sky/Poels? He's 12th 5 minutes behind, not even a viable plan B.

Poels should either get in the train or stop trying to hang on after he drops

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That de la cruz signing looking a pretty sweet deal right now. 4th on GC. It's almost impossible to replace Nieve/Landa but they might've done it.

Plus Moscon is replacing Kwiatk and Thomas except for the small fact that those two are not leaving. :lol:

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I do wonder what the hell Poels is doing though. He is never involved with any of the pacing. Drops before Moscon/Nieve are done, and then finishes as 2nd Sky man. It's like he is riding his own Vuelta completely apart from the team. But what does it bring Sky/Poels? He's 12th 5 minutes behind, not even a viable plan B.

Poels should either get in the train or stop trying to hang on after he drops
This is exactly what Landa did at the Tour. Drop before he has to work in the earlier stages and then really come into his own during the latter stages, which I assume he will, since he's been Froome's last man in the third week of the Tour several times now.

Wout is the same height as the Top Dawg, so if he
stays close once he's dropped he could still give up
his bike to Froomey without a massive loss of time, or
requiring Chris to make a 2nd change before the finish.
Plus Moscon/Nieve can both still help Chris get back on.

It is going to be very interesting for fans
as well as the Team SKY management to
watch how new signing David de la Cruz
rides over the last week+ of the Vuelta.

He's currently in fourth only three seconds
off the podium but only one second ahead
of Kelderman in fifth and only two seconds
ahead of Zakarin in sixth.

Genuine question: how do you become a fan of a whole team? What makes a team like sky so popular? They don't race GTs particularly excitingly at all, they're owned by a class a ***, managed by a class b ***, and they are the most by far the richest and most dominant team. Their classics set up is fun and enjoyable, but sky fans seem to care a lot less about those. Same goes for other teams as well. A cycling team is unlike a football team or other as they aren't from a set place and their identity and often their name changes completely every few years. I guess personal connections help, but surely it is more reasonable to like single riders. Is it just because a certain team just has a collection of your favoured riders? Or is it a nationality thing? Honest query

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
Genuine question: how do you become a fan of a whole team? What makes a team like sky so popular? They don't race GTs particularly excitingly at all, they're owned by a class a *, managed by a class b *, and they are the most by far the richest and most dominant team. Their classics set up is fun and enjoyable, but sky fans seem to care a lot less about those. Same goes for other teams as well. A cycling team is unlike a football team or other as they aren't from a set place and their identity and often their name changes completely every few years. I guess personal connections help, but surely it is more reasonable to like single riders. Is it just because a certain team just has a collection of your favoured riders? Or is it a nationality thing? Honest query

I don't think anyone is a huge fan of any team since it's an individual sport but I think the connection comes from initially liking single riders. It then extends out a little when you get to know a few of the other riders a bit more if they're helping out a favourite rider.

I wasn't a fan of Sky until the 2011 Vuelta. :lol: Actually even then I wasn't a fan since they screwed over Froome but once Wiggins left and Thomas came to the fore who's also quite likeable it's a fun team as overpowered as they are.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Genuine question: how do you become a fan of a whole team? What makes a team like sky so popular? They don't race GTs particularly excitingly at all, they're owned by a class a *, managed by a class b *, and they are the most by far the richest and most dominant team. Their classics set up is fun and enjoyable, but sky fans seem to care a lot less about those. Same goes for other teams as well. A cycling team is unlike a football team or other as they aren't from a set place and their identity and often their name changes completely every few years. I guess personal connections help, but surely it is more reasonable to like single riders. Is it just because a certain team just has a collection of your favoured riders? Or is it a nationality thing? Honest query

I enjoy their dominant performances. They are actually good at tactics which boils the blood of forum trolls. I love every second of it.

Re: Re:

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Brullnux said:

I enjoy their dominant performances. They are actually good at tactics which boils the blood of forum trolls. I love every second of it.

not sure about tactits, they had a few problems. but sticking to a plan and getting it done is what they do.
and the blood boiling is what I like more when Sky wins ;)

Re:

Brullnux said:

So:
- No Polish WT team;
- Michał Kwiatkowski. And I don't follow your comment about Sky classics set up: they are focused on GT races and still helped Kwiato a lot in his victories this year;
- I really admire their tactics, "choo-choo", "train" and so on;
- Froome is so funny on his bike (yo-yo, with head on the right side, staring all the time at his comp) that he makes me laughing;
- the biggest budget? - Yesterday I tried to explain my point of view in Transfer&Rumours thread;
- as was previous said: all the hate about Sky is really so funny! It helped me to become Sky fan and after a few years of following the forum I decided to register;
- and finally, please answer:how could I become (or remain) a fan of banned racer?? I really don't understand that. Let's assume that Froome or Kwiatkowski are banned one day. Then I erase them from my memory for ever.

TRENDING THREADS