• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
By the time they hit the mountains Sosa will be like 10 minutes behind.
This guy if probably one of the worst Time Trialists out there. Not to mentions how much time he would lose in a cross wind. But I'd love to see him ride hard in the mountains. If he has any energy left.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
By the time they hit the mountains Sosa will be like 10 minutes behind.
This guy if probably one of the worst Time Trialists out there. Not to mentions how much time he would lose in a cross wind. But I'd love to see him ride hard in the mountains. If e has any energy left.

The Giro is not really known for its cross-winds.

Although it might be nice for the lads to stage hunt, I really think it would be better if the younger lads learn and understand they way a team needs to ride over three weeks to win a Grand Tour. If it is possible to win a stage while rehearsing the roles they would be called on to perform in the future helping Egan or The Top Dawg win a Grand Tour, all the better.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Anderis said:
Red Rick said:
If Sky goes for GC it will be Sivakov I reckon. He's actually got a decent ITT.
When was the last time someone as young as Sivakov finished a GT in the top10 overall?

I thought Pinot did it in 2012 but now I checked that he was 22 back then while Sivakov is still 21.

Enric Mas was 23 at last year's Vuelta.

And Valverde was 38. What's your point?

Maybe we have to go all the way back to Andy Schleck in 2007? That said - Sivakov is not getting into any top 10.

Koronin said:
Anderis said:
Red Rick said:
When was the last time someone as young as Sivakov finished a GT in the top10 overall?

I thought Pinot did it in 2012 but now I checked that he was 22 back then while Sivakov is still 21.

Andy Schleck???????????born june 10th 1985, second overall Giro 2007, 1st young rider classification

CTQ said:
Koronin said:
Anderis said:
Red Rick said:

Andy Schleck???????????born june 10th 1985, second overall Giro 2007, 1st young rider classification

Yep, I just went back and checked. Noone has been younger than Schleck since Schleck.

A few have top 10'ed as 22-year-olds: Barguil, Gesink and Pinot.

Sam Oomen was also 22 at last year's Giro. Warren Barguil was 22 at the 2014 Vuelta. Pinot, as mentioned, was 22 at the 2012 Tour. Robert Gesink was 22 at the 2008 Vuelta. That seems to be the cut-off date and we would be looking at Andy Schleck at the 2007 Giro as the last 21-year-old to hit the top 10 (though it was 21 years and 11-and-a-half months!). We also have going back slightly further, Damiano Cunego winning the Giro as a 22-year-old, of course.

Though it's very tempting to point out Niewiadoma and Tuhai in the 2016 Giro Rosa, mind ;)

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Anderis said:
Red Rick said:

Maybe we have to go all the way back to Andy Schleck in 2007? That said - Sivakov is not getting into any top 10.

The question was about young riders in the top 10 of a GT GC. Enric Mas happens to fit that category at last year's Vuelta. It seems 22/23 not 21 is the age most likely for a first break through with a top 10 in a GT.

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Anderis said:
Red Rick said:

The question was about young riders in the top 10 of a GT GC. Enric Mas happens to fit that category at last year's Vuelta. It seems 22/23 not 21 is the age most likely for a first break through with a top 10 in a GT.

The question was when anybody had finished top 10 as young as Sivakov's current age.

Schleck was a month older (born in June, Sivakov in July), some month younger were Leonardo Sierra in 1990 (born in October 1968), Marco Groppo in 1982 (born in September 1960) and Leonardo Natale in 1980 (born in October 1958).
In the year of 21 birthday was Silvano Contini in 1979 (born in January 1958) whereas Saronni the year befor has still to reach 21 (born in September 1957) as well as Alfio Vandi in 1976 (born in December 1955).
Note that Coppi won as still 20 years old in 1940 (born in September 1919).

TRENDING THREADS