• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Laplaz said:
Mayomaniac said:
MatParker117 said:
Mayomaniac said:
Any news about Bernal, will he race a shorter stage race before the Tour?

Dauphine or TdS
Thanks, it will be interesting to see if he outperforms Froome or Thomas in those races.
I think Bernal and Froome will do Dauphine and Thomas TDS.
ASO announced the main names of every team for Dauphine some days ago and there is no Bernal.

22 équipes, les principaux engagés (au 29/05) :

Afrique du Sud
Team Dimension Data : Boasson Hagen (Nor), Cummings (Gbr)

Allemagne
Team Sunweb : Fröhlinger (All), C.Pedersen (Dan)
Bora-Hansgrohe : Bennett (Irl), Grossschartner (Aut), Buchmann, Schachmann (All)

Australie
Mitchelton-Scott : A.Yates (Gbr), Impey (Afs)

Bahreïn
Bahrain-Merida : Colbrelli (Ita), Teuns (Bel)

Belgique
Deceuninck Quick Step : Alaphilippe (Fra), Gilbert (Bel), Hodeg (Col), Stybar (Rtc)
Lotto-Soudal : Marczynski (Pol), Lambrecht (Bel)
Wanty-Gobert Cycling Team : G.Martin (Fra), Eiking (Nor)

Emirats Arabes Unis
UAE Team Emirates : Martin (Irl), Sutherland (Aus)

Espagne
Movistar Team : Quintana (Col), Erviti (Esp)

Etats-Unis
EF Education First : Van Garderen (Usa), Woods (Can), Bettiol (Ita)
Trek-Segafredo : Porte (Aus), Skujins (Let)

France
AG2R La Mondiale : Bardet, Geniez (Fra), Naesen (Bel)
Groupama-FDJ : Pinot, Gaudu, Molard (Fra), Reichenbach (Sui)
Cofidis, Solutions Crédits : Bouhanni (Fra), Atapuma (Col)
Team Arkea-Samsic : Barguil (Fra), Greipel (All)
Vital Concept-B&B Hotels : Rolland, Pacher (Fra)

Grande-Bretagne
Team Ineos : Froome (Gbr), Kwiatkowski (Pol), Moscon (Ita), Poels (Hol)

Kazakhstan
Astana Pro Team : Fuglsang, Cort-Nielsen (Dan), G.Izagirre, I.Izagirre (Esp), Lutsenko (Kaz)

Pays-Bas
Team Jumbo-Visma : Kruijswijk (Hol), Van Aert (Bel)

Pologne
CCC Team : De Marchi (Ita), Pauwels (Bel), Ten Dam (Hol)

Suisse
Team Katusha-Alpecin : Politt (All)

https://www.criterium-du-dauphine.fr/fr/actus/2019/bataille-royale/10525

With Dumo now doing the Dauphin, the line up looks stronger than the Giro. Suppose we'll just get NQ stuck to Froomes wheel, eyeing him up for the Tour with Yates running away with the win just ahead of Dumo with Fuglsang third.

I’m sorry I missed the Sky scouting conversation. Their “scouting” consists of offering all of the already most highly touted kids a big bag of money. With such a big budget it’s very efficient to just sign all of the kids who have been big espoir successes. If scouting is needed, people like Savio and Axel can do it for them. Bernal, Hart, Sosa, Dunbar, Sivakov, Lawless, Halvorsen were all widely known as potential stars (and all I think bar Sivakov and Halvorsen spent time with Androni or Axeon).

The only young rider they have signed in recent times who really was a surprising pick was Leonardo Basso. Now if he turns out to be a top tier rider I will salute their scouting rather than their efficient use of a money advantage.

Re:

roundabout said:
Basso was 24, I think, when he was signed so hardly young and it was rather obvious that he was not signed to be a (future) leader so it's super disingenuous to use him as an example.

It was a joke.

To illustrate that they are not at all oriented towards scouting secret wonder kids. They may think that they can transform an already good rider into something better (and they have a remarkable record at doing that), but nowadays they don’t sign anyone who isn’t either already good or very widely and highly touted already. Why would they? Searching through dross for an occasional hidden gem is for people who can’t afford to just buy the gems.

Basso sticks out because he is neither already a top third of the WT rider nor a super highly rated kid. I like to assume that his real job is talking Moscon out of putting a fork into electrical sockets or eating crayons.

Parker said:
Valv.Piti said:
What

Its not bloody hard to find Bernal and Sivakov. Everyone knows them, they are the biggest talents in cycling.
They've supposedly been following Sivakov for quite some time though. He comes from the same area as Nicolas Portal, and I think rode for the same junior team as a boy.
And he spent two years in BMC's development team. Sky let BMC pay for his development, then used the money they'd saved by not spending money on a development team to offer him more money than BMC could.

Libertine Seguros said:
Parker said:
Valv.Piti said:
What

Its not bloody hard to find Bernal and Sivakov. Everyone knows them, they are the biggest talents in cycling.
They've supposedly been following Sivakov for quite some time though. He comes from the same area as Nicolas Portal, and I think rode for the same junior team as a boy.
And he spent two years in BMC's development team. Sky let BMC pay for his development, then used the money they'd saved by not spending money on a development team to offer him more money than BMC could.

BMC let Livestrong develop Phinney and they got him a few years ago
BMC developed Sivakov, but couldnt offer more than 1 year contracts because Andy Rihs was about to let go (and pass away) so Sivakov chose a long term contract.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
G got snubbed. For the drama aspect, it could be fun with "two" Ineos teams at the start line - The Froome loyalists and the Thomas loyalists.
Which team would Thomas be in? :razz:

I can't remember any of this fuss in 2007 with Pereiro and Valverde. It was always obvious who would be leader then, just as it has always been obvious now.

Parker said:
Velolover2 said:
G got snubbed. For the drama aspect, it could be fun with "two" Ineos teams at the start line - The Froome loyalists and the Thomas loyalists.
Which team would Thomas be in? :razz:

I can't remember any of this fuss in 2007 with Pereiro and Valverde. It was always obvious who would be leader then, just as it has always been obvious now.
Oh, the old and original Movistar 'tridente' of Valverde, Pereiro and Karpets! :lol: