• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a good problem to have.

Thomas is the big loser of this Tour unless he shines in the Vuelta. Otherwise, it's back to domestic duties. But courses matter, so we don't know yet. We don't know, except that Froome wants another crack at Le Tour.

Ineos is not just about money. They are smart and make no mistakes. Sir Dave and his henchmen will look at routes first, then decide, in an attempt to win all three.

come on guys, they wouldn't have been in trouble. yes, possibly it could have lead to some crisis of lead-out or thomas and bernal would have had to close up a few attacks more, but all in all barring pinot there were no riders who could outclimb bernal and thomas in this year's tour. granted ineos got really lucky with pinot abandoning, but overall it was under control.

Re:

dacooley said:
come on guys, they wouldn't have been in trouble. yes, possibly it could have lead to some crisis of lead-out or thomas and bernal would have had to close up a few attacks more, but all in all barring pinot there were no riders who could outclimb bernal and thomas in this year's tour. granted ineos got really lucky with pinot abandoning, but overall it was under control.

So in other words, it wasn't under control at all and wholly dependent on Pinot having an accident.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
dacooley said:

So in other words, it wasn't under control at all and wholly dependent on Pinot having an accident.
that remains unknown. we saw the way bernal managed to improve in third week. whether pinot would've been able to match to the colombian is a question with no answer.

Reactions: cantpedal
The train didn't look as dominant as in previous years and didn't spend as much time on the front. The form of some of the domestiques didn't seem to be what it used to be plus Jumbo and Groupama looked stronger. Movistar did what they always do and the results were the same. Landa was always going to try some long range attacks and of course he did have the Giro in his legs and it did look like Pinot was the only real climbing threat. Who knows how he would have gone ? You would think the shorter stages would have helped him as usually the third week is always where his problems occur one way or the other. Also Ineos lost Rowe who does a lot of the early work. Movistar had three riders in the top 10 and surely would have tried something if the last two stages were completed in full. They wouldn't have won the race and normally to have three in the top 10 and not one on the podium would be a fail but then one is almost 40, one did the Giro and the other is now basically a stage hunter and is riding at a level below what he used to be. To me Ineos looked in control after the second rest day but without the dominance of previous years. And the Pinot performance is too hard to predict based on previous grand tours but his climbing and even his TT were stronger than usual.

Without meaning to be cruel, insensitive or negative to a rider that rode a very commendable race, it was always more likely for Pinot to DNF than win ... given his recent history in the TdF and Grand Tours in general ... so I'm pretty sure that data was entered into the powerful INEOS super-computer that formulates their Team tactics and of course also analyses rider data from training camps to choose the ideal team composition for the Grand Tours.
So if the most powerful super-computer in all of cycling chose Moscon to ride the Tour I'm not going to argue.

oldcrank said:
Without meaning to be cruel, insensitive or negative to a rider that rode a very commendable race, it was always more likely for Pinot to DNF than win ... given his recent history in the TdF and Grand Tours in general ... so I'm pretty sure that data was entered into the powerful INEOS super-computer that formulates their Team tactics and of course also analyses rider data from training camps to choose the ideal team composition for the Grand Tours.
So if the most powerful super-computer in all of cycling chose Moscon to ride the Tour I'm not going to argue.
The “Most Powerful Supercomputer” also originally said “Send Bernal to the Giro.”

Re:

barmaher said:
There have never been any indication that the team favours their British riders over others. It's a weird theory.
Have to say I agree with this. It's almost like something posters want to be the case even if there's no real evidence of it. I expect Bernal to be leader at the Tour for as long as they hold on to him

I think they'll send Bernal to the Giro next year for Giro-Vuelta double. Winning all GTs at the age of 23 would be quite an achievement and there are more Tours to come for him.

Thomas have indicated that he will be back next year for another shot at the Tour and Froome wants to be in "club 5".

Re:

Velolover2 said:
I think they'll send Bernal to the Giro next year for Giro-Vuelta double. Winning all GTs at the age of 23 would be quite an achievement and there are more Tours to come for him.

Thomas have indicated that he will be back next year for another shot at the Tour and Froome wants to be in "club 5".
I have a hard time seeing that happen unless Bernal himself wants it which I doubt as I figure he'll want to defend his title. Bernal has rightly deferred to teammates up until now but he's the biggest GT talent we've seen in many, many years and now the first Colombian Tour winner at 22. He's got a TON of leverage. Froome and Thomas will be 35 and 34 and Froome is coming off a major injury. Bernal is about to go home to Colombia to as much celebration and praise as a person can get for being an athlete and I highly doubt after that he'd be ok with being told he won't be able to defend his title. Ineos needs to keep him happy if they want to hold on to him long term.

Of course, it would be more exciting to see him racing against the strongest team in the future rather than with them so I kinda hope they screw this up. :p

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
barmaher said:
There have never been any indication that the team favours their British riders over others. It's a weird theory.
Have to say I agree with this. It's almost like something posters want to be the case even if there's no real evidence of it. I expect Bernal to be leader at the Tour for as long as they hold on to him
I think Brailsford really doesnt care, he just wants to win. And it just happened Bernal was their best bet.

Also, Bernal is now Brailsford project. He would want to win A LOT more with him in the future. He is also good in the media and all that, that should also be a plus.

I think that Ineos will only decide which GT will their leaders ride after the Giro and Tour courses being known.
Having said that, I fully expect Froome to ride only the Tour since the 5th Tour is probably his only goal left. However considering his injury and age Ineos will certainly bring a co-leader either Bernal and Thomas with the decision made after analysing the Giro and Tour profiles. If they are anything similar to this year's Bernal will go to the Tour and Thomas to the Giro where he will likely have Carapaz as co-leader and afterwards focusing on the Olympics.
I also think that two of their youngsters will make a debut in next year's Tour.

Leinster said:
oldcrank said:
The “Most Powerful Supercomputer” also originally said “Send Bernal to the Giro.”

Froome was healthy when that decision was made. Which tells me they thought he was capable of winning the Giro

TRENDING THREADS