• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 149 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So Ganna missed medal but Dennis has 3rd place. Interesting if Ganna was rather preparing for a track event or the ITT route was just too bumpy for him?
Combinatino of

1. Not as dominant as last year
  2. Route much hillier than ideal for him
  3. Poor pacing strategy
  4. Probably focusing on the track so much didn't help him either

Still, he was very close to a silver medal, which IMO he could have done with better pacing. But Roglic was out of this world today

No idea whatsoever what their tactics were today

After thinking about it a bit I concluded that they were riding for Moscon, who is a good but not the best climber, and so they didn't want to set a high pace on the climbs and relied for too long on others working to still bring the break back, so that Moscon could set off shortly before the finish.
The others, Bernal etc. were mostly there to get some racing into their legs, not to actually race for the win.
That's the best I can make of it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Can someone tell me what happened with Rohan Denis? totally invisible this year. Well at least after that monster performance at the Giro last year you would think that Ineos had bigger plans for him this year. And nothing. I was shocked when they announced the team for the Tour without him. And he was training with the Tour team. Now I heard he is leaving to Jumbo? He didn't do much for the team this year. I wouldn't let him go for next year. He can prove valuable for Bernal and Carapaz in the GT's. He can do almost everything, just like Kwiat.

After thinking about it a bit I concluded that they were riding for Moscon, who is a good but not the best climber, and so they didn't want to set a high pace on the climbs and relied for too long on others working to still bring the break back, so that Moscon could set off shortly before the finish.
The others, Bernal etc. were mostly there to get some racing into their legs, not to actually race for the win.
That's the best I can make of it.
Yeah, but they didn’t even try to assist Trek to bring back the break, which they knew was a threat with Mohoric in it. Jumbo and UAE didn’t help ( that I could see) either, but I think Ineos had the most riders in the chasing peloton. Honestly, those other team (DQS off the hook with Honore in the break) just didn’t seem very interesting in winning if it meant they had to work for it. I found it strange.

Can someone tell me what happened with Rohan Denis? totally invisible this year. Well at least after that monster performance at the Giro last year you would think that Ineos had bigger plans for him this year. And nothing. I was shocked when they announced the team for the Tour without him. And he was training with the Tour team. Now I heard he is leaving to Jumbo? He didn't do much for the team this year. I wouldn't let him go for next year. He can prove valuable for Bernal and Carapaz in the GT's. He can do almost everything, just like Kwiat.

I'm not sure he was invisible. He was very good particularly in Catalunya and Romandie for the team. The weird bit starts in Suisse (where he wasn't much good to Carapaz) and then was quietly deselected for the Tour even though he'd spent the whole year talking about going TdF -> Olympics. Somewhere in amongst there he went from very happy on Ineos to vanishing to prep solo for the Olympics and signed for Jumbo... who knows, could just be €€€s.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not sure he was invisible. He was very good particularly in Catalunya and Romandie for the team. The weird bit starts in Suisse (where he wasn't much good to Carapaz) and then was quietly deselected for the Tour even though he'd spent the whole year talking about going TdF -> Olympics. Somewhere in amongst there he went from very happy on Ineos to vanishing to prep solo for the Olympics and signed for Jumbo... who knows, could just be €€€s.

maybe it's not just for the money
View: https://twitter.com/cyclingtakes/status/1401812487192911872?s=20

Ready for the Vuelta. A pity we will not see Martinez at the Vuelta. Probably health issues or still hurt from the fall.

That looks like 4 leaders plus a potential future GT winner who could pull a Pogacar and podium in his first GT…how do you manage all those ambitions? I’m pretty sure every one of those riders is gaming out how they’ll become sole leader by week 2…

That looks like 4 leaders plus a potential future GT winner who could pull a Pogacar and podium in his first GT…how do you manage all those ambitions? I’m pretty sure every one of those riders is gaming out how they’ll become sole leader by week 2…
This year’s route might help with the sorting: the combustion of a TT for stage 1 and a pretty significant murito on Stage 3 means we’re going time differences by then. I guess if you’re someone is isn’t clearly defined team leader but you have aspirations to be one you’d better be ready and primed before Stage 1 begins.

ed. That was supposed to read “combination” but perhaps combustion isn’t too far off the mark?