• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1092 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Digger said:
Rod Ellingworth tore out the page of Vrienque from the tour handbook in disgust, according to walsh...

You're welcome...

Sorry digger you were correct...again

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Simpson, Digger.

Try again.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why? If not in the team Sky thread, where should we discuss the death of Txema and the (perhaps doping) cause of it?

Discussion of Txema's death is rather tasteless and disrespectful to the dead. Plus it's pretty much based on a conspiracy. Further, I foresee such a discussion bringing up future problems and unnecessary conflicts between posters that could lead to bans. I don't think we need that.

So let's all just leave this one alone.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Discussion of Txema's death is rather tasteless and disrespectful to the dead. Plus it's pretty much based on a conspiracy. Further, I foresee such a discussion bringing up future problems and unnecessary conflicts between posters that could lead to bans. I don't think we need that.

My thoughts exactly, but far more eloquently expressed.

Mellow Velo said:
I'm pretty sure you made that up...............again.
Unless you have a link, of course.
It's in David Walsh "Inside team Sky" and Ellingworth "Project Rainbow" books. Walsh explain that Ellingwoth despise doping icon Vienque and teared the pages with commercials of Richard Virenque on the Tour 2013 official guide book.
On the other hand Ellingworth has borrowed what he called the relics, Simpson's rainbow jersey, to build up the UK team before the Copenhague WC in 2011. More generally Simpson is an icon for UK Cycling and is on the hall of fame of BCF.
You should buy the books they are very nice tales :)

lllludo said:
It's in David Walsh "Inside team Sky" and Ellingworth "Project Rainbow" books. Walsh explain that Ellingwoth despise doping icon Vienque and teared the pages with commercials of Richard Virenque on the Tour 2013 official guide book.
On the other hand Ellingworth has borrowed what he called the relics, Simpson's rainbow jersey, to build up the UK team before the Copenhague WC in 2011. More generally Simpson is an icon for UK Cycling and is on the hall of fame of BCF.
You should buy the books they are very nice tales :)

Mellow - yes Digger you were correct. I apologise.

No worries Mellow, but you need to read more.

I will do Digger. Sorry again.

Digger said:
Mellow - yes Digger you were correct. I apologise.

No worries Mellow, but you need to read more.

I will do Digger. Sorry again.

So, when you wrote Sky, you meant Ellingworth?
Pretty sure he doesn't constitute a majority.

However, I agree that Ellingworth's attitude is wrong.
Simpson may have rode at a time where anti doping was embryonic,
but I'm pretty sure he would have turned up early to jump on the epo bandwagon.

Better to dislike Virenque over his crocodile tears in 1998.

As for reading Walsh's book: No thanks. That material is only fit for Sky fans.;)

Lance should fake his own death. It's the way to redemption.

David Millar lauds Simpson. Wiggins and ellingworth the same.
There's a monument to the guy.

Not one difference between Tom Simpson and ricco. Or kohl. Other than being dead.
Jesus manzano. He nearly died. Anyone remember him? At least he actually told all the truth.
Pantani the same. The way people fawned over him
Two months ago. Yet if he was alive he'd be a pariah. As things stand you'd think he was as good as coppi

Afrank said:
1) Discussion of Txema's death is rather tasteless and disrespectful to the dead. 2) Plus it's pretty much based on a conspiracy. 3) Further, I foresee such a discussion bringing up future problems and unnecessary conflicts between posters that could lead to bans. I don't think we need that.

1) Just like the discussion regarding Thatcher after her death?

2) This is the clinic. Pretty much here is speculation about conspiracies.

3) Is that reason to ban a topic? Pretty much any topic can lead to bans, hardly the fault of the topic(s), but the posters, no? It's not like there isn't any problems or unnecessary conflicts atm...

It's just simple speculation that a soigneur (like other soigneurs in the past) had experimented with peds on himself, possibly being the cause of his death. I really can't see any problem with that, and I don't think it's a problem if some doesn't like the topic.

If the PDM affair in 1991 had led to the death of a rider, would that topic then also be banned?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
1) Just like the discussion regarding Thatcher after her death?

2) This is the clinic. Pretty much here is speculation about conspiracies.

3) Is that reason to ban a topic? Pretty much any topic can lead to bans, hardly the fault of the topic(s), but the posters, no? It's not like there isn't any problems or unnecessary conflicts atm...

It's just simple speculation that a soigneur (like other soigneurs in the past) had experimented with peds on himself, possibly being the cause of his death. I really can't see any problem with that, and I don't think it's a problem if some doesn't like the topic.

If the PDM affair in 1991 had led to the death of a rider, would that topic then also be banned?
I agree with you, open a new topic for it nevertheless. Just for the ones with a soft heart...

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I agree with you, open a new topic for it nevertheless. Just for the ones with a soft heart...

I don't think anyone would argue against a topic on Tom Simpson, or Pantani - public figures, known dopers who died directly from drugs, one way or the other it's a hell of a leap, like it or not, from there to indulging the conspiracies around Gonzales, for which there is literally nothing but conjecture.

And for what it's worth, I can certainly see Simpson, and Pantani, as tragic figures to be remembered, if only as a warning. After all, they paid the ultimate price for their wrongdoings.

But not heroic ones, to be feted. Cheats aren't heroic.

It is an embarrassment that Simpson is held in such high regard by many British Cyclists.

I kind of understand why, for so many years he was the only British world Champion at the road race.

Cav at least broke that.

To me, Simpson was tragic figure who paid the price for his doping. Not someone I would want my daughter to grow up and admire.

TRENDING THREADS