• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1341 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I assume Luke Rowe's next in line. Tour podium in 2018 perhaps?

At 185 cm/72 kg he looks like the perfect prospect, if he can just shed 5-6 kg.

And we must not forget that he smashed a former Tour winner in the Queen stage of La Vuelta 2014

Attachments

• roweevans.jpg
    roweevans.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 779
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Gonna be fun in years to come finding out who was on what, how much and when............

If we ever do. I fear they've vastly improved upon the USPS model though. They don't sue people and let outsiders know all the peds they're taking whilst confessing to the doctor (at least not yet that we know of). They're new and improved!

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
Bob Sanders said:
I'm somewhat of a casual cycling fan, but Geraint Thomas is the most egregious doper I have seen in close to a decade. It's just absurd. I'm kinda curious as to their doping methods.

Interesting, but not sure how he's more egregious than Froome. At least he had a track/pursuit palmares before he became a world-beating climber at the tender age of 29.

I mean, that's a joke, and ridiculous. But it' something those who want to believe can point to.

The dramatic change in style is why I say that. I guess it's just semantics really.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

Guys please tell me if I'm normal.

But I've forgiven armstrong for his doping in fact I'll forgive anyone who admits.

But I kinda like him now and the way he hinted that froome and sky was doping. and for his comments on walsh on twitter.

And i think he's an angel compared to what froome and sky are doing to cycling right now.

I know he uses it a lot but at least he founded a very successful charity that raised a lot of money for cancer.
Its something good.

and its like a burden has finally being released from him after admitting to the doping and he can be quite open.

Re: Sky

dlwssonic said:

But I've forgiven armstrong for his doping in fact I'll forgive anyone who admits.

But I kinda like him now and the way he hinted that froome and sky was doping.

And i think he's an angel compared to what froome and sky are doing to cycling right now.

I know he uses it a lot but at least he founded a very successful charity that raised a lot of money for cancer.
Its something good.
In much the same way that battered wife syndrome is normal.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Energy Starr said:
Benotti69 said:
Gonna be fun in years to come finding out who was on what, how much and when............

If we ever do. I fear they've vastly improved upon the USPS model though. They don't sue people and let outsiders know all the peds they're taking whilst confessing to the doctor (at least not yet that we know of). They're new and improved!

I think they have learned from USPS and upgraded the model. But as someone pointed out very few teams have had riders 'rat' out the program.

Sky learnt the USPS model by hiring Barry, Yates, Verbeken and other models with the likes of Jullich (CSC) De Jongh(Rabo)......but the important part is they dont have a sociopath rider like Armstrong to pi$$ off people enough to want revenge. Sky probably did pay people off with confidentiality clauses, whereas USPS left lots of people owed monies. Salvodelli being one who is vocal about being owed money from his time with Johan.

But Sky have set their lawyers on the maker of the video for Vayer, @oufeh.

not normal

dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

charity begins at home........livestrong was a great earner...for lance

.........cancer shield

at least team sky just ................ride

Mark L

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: not normal

ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

Team sky has kinda ruined my love for cycling quite a bit ever since the wiggins tour victory.

cycling seemed so perfect to me when I started watching in 2009, its just not the same anymore with sky being so dominant.

dlwssonic said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

Team sky has kinda ruined my love for cycling quite a bit ever since the wiggins tour victory.

cycling seemed so perfect to me when I started watching in 2009, its just not the same anymore with sky being so dominant.
If you had been around longer you would really be feeling like you had seen this movie before.

May 27, 2010
Visit site

Hugh Januss said:
dlwssonic said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

If you had been around longer you would really be feeling like you had seen this movie before.

Agreed, not watching the armstrong era definitely gave me a better impression of him.

But i'll always forgive the dopers who admit.(I know he was a huge bully too)

Most are forced to anyway, but the important thing is that they admitted.

I don't blame them when there are so many others doing it and their careers are on the line.

Hugh Januss said:
dlwssonic said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

Indeed.. history is just repeating itself again.. its nothing new or special.. I just don't hope I have to skip the tour for some years due to this...

But it will never be clean, no sport will.. we just need more elements than we have now. Ban Radio communication and cycling computers and atleast we have tactical sense and iq in... this should shuffle it abit.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
@Scienceofsport 4m4 minutes ago
Quick thoughts on #TDF15 - if you watched cycling through the 90s & Postal era, today would've made you more uneasy than Tuesday
@Scienceofsport 3m3 minutes ago
In the interests of balance, given how everyone says "tailwind", Contador said attacks difficult today because of headwinds. Keep in mind
@Scienceofsport 3m3 minutes ago
On performance - fast, but not fastest. But the group was big enough that you knew that already, without stopwatch: http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/07/the-big-guns-at-same-level-on-plateau.html

dlwssonic said:
Hugh Januss said:
dlwssonic said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

Agreed, not watching the armstrong era definitely gave me a better impression of him.

But i'll always forgive the dopers who admit.(I know he was a huge bully too)

Most are forced to anyway, but the important thing is that they admitted.

I don't blame them when there are so many others doing it and their careers are on the line.
IMO the fact that Lance "came clean" (albeit with a ton of whining and excuses and veiled finger pointing while still upholding the omerta) only after he was backed into a corner and all the *** was on the table, really doesn't incline me to cut him much slack.

May 27, 2010
Visit site

DrSahl said:
Hugh Januss said:
dlwssonic said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

Indeed.. history is just repeating itself again.. its nothing new or special.. I just don't hope I have to skip the tour for some years due to this...

But it will never be clean, no sport will.. we just need more elements than we have now. Ban Radio communication and cycling computers and atleast we have tactical sense and iq in... this should shuffle it abit.

Clean or not I thoroughly enjoyed it from 2009-2011.

Contador vs Schleck was awesome and watching cadel win was quite emotional for me after so many years of being so close and him being my childhood hero

And the way he won it and how close and dramatic the entire race was.

I remember sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time on the galibier stage and cadel basically just said *** it and pulled the peloton up the galibier by himself.

dlwssonic said:
//forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1768258#p1768258]dlwssonic[/url] said:
ebandit said:
dlwssonic said:

Its something good.

.........charity shield

Mark L

But it will never be clean, no sport will.. we just need more elements than we have now. Ban Radio communication and cycling computers and atleast we have tactical sense and iq in... this should shuffle it abit.[/quote]
Clean or not I thoroughly enjoyed it from 2009-2011.
Contador vs Schleck was awesome and watching cadel win was quite emotional for me after so many years of being so close and him being my childhood hero
And the way he won it and how close and dramatic the entire race was.
I remember sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time on the galibier stage and cadel basically just said **** it and pulled the peloton up the galibier by himself.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed that as well.. because they did show some weakness "being human" and it was a very even fight to watch.. but I still wish we could get those fu***** radios banned and cycling computers as well.. thats one of the reason cycling has become a even bigger bore for alot... I want riders to think for themselves!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

seldon71 said:
This will be slightly long-winded post, but here is my opinion/feeling about the Team Sky...

1) Team Sky is only a tip of the iceberg, but the roots are in British Cycling & National Cycling Centre/Manchester Velodrome.

2) National Cycling Centre (from here on NCC) was opened in 1994 to promote & develop British Track Cycling. It is state-funded, institutionalised centre with open (and likely hidden) access to co-operation with universities, medical schools etc. in a way which (maybe except Astana) no road cycling trade team can even dream about...

3) NCC understandably started with an emphasis on track cycling as many track events are PURE performance sports with no tactics adaptation to daily conditions (elements of nature) etc. included. The results started to pile up :

1996 Olympics : no medals on track (Boardman & Sciandri took medals on road, but they had nothing to do with NCC, really)
2000 Olympics : Gold for Jason Queally in 1000 m TT, 3 other medals. No yet success in more tactical events like individual sprint, madison, keirin etc.
2004 Olympics : 2 Golds thru' Sir Brad & Chris Hoy
2008 Olympics : Total domination! 7 golds out of total of 10 available on track. Every "performance event" gold to UK! Only points races and men's madison slipped away...

4) 2009 : The birth of Team Sky in a very close co-operation of British Cycling...

I am bluntly accusing that NCC is a hotbed of very advanced doping research and the natural progression has been to start with the "easiest" pure performance sports and move towards most tactical, most pricey sport (= professional road cycling).

This would also explain why it is mostly British riders who do advance to "alien"-level in Team Sky. As it is national institution, the best of "knowledge" is not to be given for your competitors. While they are teammates in Sky, they are "enemies" of British Cycling in WCs/Olympics etc. Sky has employed a lot of talented foreigners, but the only one who appears to have been given "full 5-course meal" is Richie Porte. Otoh, numerous foreign riders (EBH, Löfkvist, Gerrans, Uran, Henao, Deignan, Roche, König etc) have remained very mortal, stagnated or even plummeted off the cliff while in Sky. So it is not only a "peloton a deux vitesses", but also "team a deux vitesses".

And this separates Team Sky from almost ALL of its competition... Even the richest competitors are still private teams - only Astana has similar governmental backing. However, I also think that cutting-edge sports medicinal research is more likely to happen in UK, than in Kazakhstan.

And this leads to...

5) I don't think Team Sky are BIGGER cheats than most of their competition (although they are the most double-faced in their insistence of innocence). Frankly, yesterday Froome put a whipping for plenty of riders/teams, which have no moral qualms in using any available PEDs/methods as long as they avoid being caught. However, the rest of the teams are restricted to "known methods" of blood transfusion / micro-dosing etc. while I'm pretty convinced Team Sky has some completely unknown, off-the-market, unpublicised stuff which they can utilise freely without ANY danger of detection (at this moment). Quite BALCOish, but likely with public sources / funding instead of private lab.

6) So, do I feel sorry for beaten "cheats" like Contador, Nibali, Piti etc. for them being caught way behind in "arms race". Not really. They would do the same without any remorse given a half-chance...

7) But at the same time - this is

- killing the suspense
- making the world of cycling even MORE unfair for riders. If the best stuff is (at least for a moment) available only for riders of certain nationality, why should others bother?

8) I am strong supporter of CLEAN sport. I also believe that to be unrealistic ideal. However, a world where the doping is limited to certain known methods/PEDs and doping controls can even hinder and put limitations to a use of those known "evils", the field is rather fair and even. The guys who want to ride clean will likely not win too often, but they are not in unconquerable disadvantage AND they pretty much know how much of headstart the dopers have...

9) But in a world where one group of riders (apparently not even close to a full team) have stuff which no one else knows about... That is no longer a sport. It is WORSE that Lance-years. At least Lance used same stuff as everybody else. He only could use it more efficiently as he had the "immunity" from getting caught and a "private line" to whistle-blow whomever had the audacity to raise their bar to match him (Hamilton, Mayo).

In case some missed it. Some very interesting points in this post.

It also points to a bigger fraud and organised doping set up than Armstrong.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
The thing with Sky is that they are so clumsy and naive in their execution - they just can't help themselves. The whole of Sky is like a kid who stumbles on some secret, knows he better keep quiet about it, but just have to go: 'Look at me! I know something you don't! Wink, wink".

The only reason this house of cards doesn't come crumbling down is because nobody close enough bothers to do the first push. Once that is done, the rest is easy.