• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1536 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sky

The Analytics Revolution is coming in football. Other sports, however had it happen earlier:
(http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...all-betting-analytics-moneyball-a7934181.html)
Not enough football clubs think like this, but it has been very successful in other sports. Campbell points to the example of how Team Sky won the 2012 Tour de France, breaking down what they needed for Bradley Wiggins to win the tour.

“Team Sky profiled that year’s Tour de France, with historic data of requirements on the climbs and the time trials. They knew it was an opportunity for competitive advantage, because it had never been done before. So they plotted a power curve, with time along the x-axis and power on the y-axis, marking what power output the Tour winner would need and when. Then they looked at Brad’s curve, looked at the gaps. And they had the techniques to bridge them. The analytics are what enabled them to the understand the difference between where they were, and where they wanted to get to.”

Where were you when Team Sky invented the power curve in 2012?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Re:

MartinGT said:
Not watched much of the Vuelta after the Dawg was upto his old tricks. Jeeez today I watched last 30km. Nah, not for me anymore.

Not to mention five teammates with him with 30km to go, and Moscon showing how much inner fat he's lost..
Froome shook off his ritual "bad day" and is all fresh and perky again, order restored....

Remember ya'll - this, too, shall pass.

And then we'll get the next train (whether doped to the gills or motorized)... I don't think there is a way to fix professional cycling. Or any pro sport for that matter. As long as money is involved there cannot be honor involved simultaneously. (Well, that's what I think at any rate.)

In the first week I thought "What Moscon is doing is pretty suss - but the climbs are short and punchy, it's not that strange that a power rider with his class and potential can do that to the peloton."

But into the third week, there's no but. It's frigging ridiculous and unbelievable how Moscon has been climbing.

Did he drop Lopez and Chaves??

I don't think it remotely compares with Kwia. I reckon Kwia is 2nd to Sagan as the most talented rider in the peloton, and he has the palmares to back it up. He's ridden the peloton off his back wheel numerous times before, and it has always been an open question whether he could mature into a GC rider.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mediocre rider Poels all of a sudden dropping everyone on Angliru. Lol... Has he even won 10 races in his career? He was decent at QS, but this is 2 levels above that.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
Mediocre rider Poels all of a sudden dropping everyone on Angliru. Lol... Has he even won 10 races in his career? He was decent at QS, but this is 2 levels above that.

You've probably forgotten Poels stats on Angliru/Zoncolan climbs, it dates back well before QS when he was in Vaconsoleil. His climb today was pretty comparable to the one he did in 2011 where he dropped Froome.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

deValtos said:
El Pistolero said:

You've probably forgotten Poels stats on Angliru/Zoncolan climbs, it dates back well before QS when he was in Vaconsoleil. His climb today was pretty comparable to the one he did in 2011 where he dropped Froome.

Vacansoleil was notorious for its doping abuse. See recent comments made by Dutch cycling doctor. I hope they nail him soon.