• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1080 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Dear Wiggo said:
Do you find it strange that Wiggins signed a 2 year contract with Garmin, knowing full well 100% that Sky would have a team in his second year of said contract?

Surely, if DB thought Wiggo could do anything on the road worth paying for he would have told Wiggo to sign a 1 year so there were no problems getting on the Sky team the following year?

cf with Ian Stannard, in Italy, getting shown the ropes by Max Sciandri:

After his debut senior classics season in 2008, Stannard went to live in Italy. Max Sciandri got him a ride for ISD, at the time run by Luca Scinto, whom he credits with teaching him a lot about the life of a pro (“how to train like a professional, and how to race like a professional”). He rode his first Grand Tour – the Giro.

It was almost like just filling in a year. Those teams were all offering two-year contracts, but we all wanted Sky.

http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/ian-stannard

Theory: Wiggo took a 2 year contract because he wanted time to get his program right before selling his services to Sky. In fact it almost makes me wonder if Sky had even offered him a ride. Old and useless is how he had been on the road up to that point. Bone idle, even. If only he could have made friends with someone who knew what to do...

Sep 29, 2012
Someone with contacts and experience at wringing the very best out of yourself...

"I love him," Wiggins said. "I think he's great. He's transformed the sport in so many ways. Every person in cycling has benefitted from Lance Armstrong, perhaps not financially but in some sense. Even his strongest critics have benefitted from him. I don't think this sport will ever realise what he's brought it or how big he's made it.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jul/25/tour-de-france-2010-lance-armstrong

Dear Wiggo said:
Do you find it strange that Wiggins signed a 2 year contract with Garmin, knowing full well 100% that Sky would have a team in his second year of said contract?
That is a good question.
Surely, if DB thought Wiggo could do anything on the road worth paying for he would have told Wiggo to sign a 1 year so there were no problems getting on the Sky team the following year?

Wiggo was nowhere near anywhere the person they were expecting to take to the Tour as a winner.

His 4th place is the only reason Sky wanted him as badly as they did, ending up paying a premium in transfer fees to Garmin.

And the kicker for me: Garmin DIDN'T TRAIN HIM. SKY DID!

BAhahahhahahahahahahaaa

Oh god.

You could not write a more farcical time line IF YOU TRIED.

Dear Wiggo said:
Theory: Wiggo took a 2 year contract because he wanted time to get his program right before selling his services to Sky. In fact it almost makes me wonder if Sky had even offered him a ride. Old and useless is how he had been on the road up to that point. Bone idle, even. If only he could have made friends with someone who knew what to do...

When Sky was first being thought about and set up the initial panning was all based on signing Cav and building the team around him for sprint wins - the idea being there's an emerging British superstar who has come through the academy who you could have lots of success around while getting the team (ie the whole team infrastructure not just the riders) used to road racing.

At the time Wiggins signed for Garmin (2008) he was already riding for Highroad and was part of Cav's sprint train, so presumably didn't fancy hanging around to sign up for even one more year more of that, let alone three or four (for whatever reason, ego, ambition, whatever) - indeed had he been content to be just part of Cav's train he would have stayed at Highroad in 2009, no?

Anyway, then things change - Cav get's the hump with BC after the 2008 Olympics, and signs an extension at HTC, meaning he can't come to Sky in 2010, and both Cav and Wiggins have extraordinary 2009 Tours - suddenly Sky is left launching with the two British star riders not riding for them, so they move heaven and earth to get Wiggins, and suddenly their focus is winning a GT in five years with a British rider (a claim that in 2011 Brailsford was rowing backwards from for a while).

I haven't got a link for this, but try reading Cav's autobiography (Boy Racer) and Richard Moore's Sky's the limit - I think there were some extracts from the latter in the Guardian at some point if someone wants to investigate via Google.

RownhamHill said:
When Sky was first being thought about and set up the initial panning was all based on signing Cav and building the team around him for sprint wins - the idea being there's an emerging British superstar who has come through the academy who you could have lots of success around while getting the team (ie the whole team infrastructure not just the riders) used to road racing.

At the time Wiggins signed for Garmin (2008) he was already riding for Highroad and was part of Cav's sprint train, so presumably didn't fancy hanging around to sign up for even one more year more of that, let alone three or four (for whatever reason, ego, ambition, whatever) - indeed had he been content to be just part of Cav's train he would have stayed at Highroad in 2009, no?

Anyway, then things change - Cav get's the hump with BC after the 2008 Olympics, and signs an extension at HTC, meaning he can't come to Sky in 2010, and both Cav and Wiggins have extraordinary 2009 Tours - suddenly Sky is left launching with the two British star riders not riding for them, so they move heaven and earth to get Wiggins, and suddenly their focus is winning a GT in five years with a British rider (a claim that in 2011 Brailsford was rowing backwards from for a while).

I haven't got a link for this, but try reading Cav's autobiography (Boy Racer) and Richard Moore's Sky's the limit - I think there were some extracts from the latter in the Guardian at some point if someone wants to investigate via Google.

That time line doesn't make sense, since they wanted the British Tour winner prior to that Tour.

Netserk said:
That time line doesn't make sense, since they wanted the British Tour winner prior to that Tour.

Do you mean DB/Sky/BC had stated they wanted to win the within 5 years before 2009 (Sky's timeline for that goal)? Or that they wanted a winner before 2009 (something I've not heard before)?

Either way it's perfectly possible they weren't talking about Wiggins. There are other riders that could have been the intended prospects at that point, for instance Thomas or Kennaugh.

Netserk said:
It doesn't matter if they were talking about Wiggo or not. The 2009 Tour couldn't suddenly change their focus to something they already focused on before that Tour.

So you're saying DB/Sky/BC stated before the 2009 Tour that they were aiming to win the Tour with a British rider within 5 years? But Sky only formed in 2009, so was this just a DB quote?

But anyway I don't think that's what he's imply. I think he is implying that their short-term focus was Cav while they learnt about road racing and built for a Tour win, but with Cav getting the hump and Wiggins doing ridiculously well in 2009 compared to previous form their short-term goal shifted from sprinting and their only goal was now the Tour win.

It's perfectly plausible that they shifted the majority of their focus onto this goal, whereas before it was something they were focused on but as a range of goals. I think that is what he means, not that they suddenly decided to go and try win the Tour after Wiggins did well.

"and suddenly their focus [after the 2009 Tour, red.] is winning a GT in five years with a British rider"

All I'm saying is that this quite clearly isn't the case, since that was their goal already prior to that Tour. It really is quite simple what I wrote.

Netserk said:
"and suddenly their focus [after the 2009 Tour, red.] is winning a GT in five years with a British rider"

All I'm saying is that this quite clearly isn't the case, since that was their goal already prior to that Tour. It really is quite simple what I wrote.

Do you have a link to a quote?

That would clear it up, I just don't remember a Sky quote from before the 2009 Tour stating that.

It's really simple. Brailsford announced before wiggos metamorphosis that sky were going to.win the tdf with a British rider within 5 years.

So the comment cannot have been a reaction to wiggos performance, as suggested, since chronologically it proceeded the 2009 tour De france.

This is a good example of the kind of arguments sky doubters often have with sky defenders. The sky doubter, is already familiar with the facts. The defender is not fully and proposes there is some middle ground that will probably make sky look less suspicious. There is no middle ground. Sky announced before wiggos 09 tdf that they were going to win the tdf in the immediate future with a British rider (ie a as yet nobody whoever that is, who was going to learn the ropes in an insanely short time and beat out all the active top riders). Not during. Not after. Before.

No wonder you guys thought sky may be clean. You weren't aware of the fact that they had already announced the British rider will win tdf plan, before they had a British rider capbale of finishing inside the top 50. Now that you know this will you aknowledge it's dodgy;)

Or to paraphrase byop will you go the extra mile to try and find another way around?

Sep 29, 2012
King Boonen said:
Do you have a link to a quote?

That would clear it up, I just don't remember a Sky quote from before the 2009 Tour stating that.

Googled, "brailsford winner in 5 years"

2nd link: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/feb/26/cycling-great-britain-brailsford

That's February 2009, and they are saying:

The phrase "epic story" was much in evidence yesterday when the Great Britain cycling performance director, Dave Brailsford, revealed that Sky is to back him in perhaps the greatest challenge of his coaching career: producing, at some point in the next five years, a British cyclist capable of competing with the best in the overall standings of the Tour de France.

Well worth the read. Not a single word about Wiggo. Nada.

More specific a few links down, published Feb 28, 2009:

‘Our ambitions for the 2012 London Olympics are going to be increased by this project but, ultimately, we are in this to win the Tour de France.

‘That has never been done by a British rider so it’s about time we put the record straight.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...ailsford-targets-home-winner-Tour-France.html

The Hitch said:
No wonder you guys thought sky may be clean. You weren't aware of the fact that they had already announced the British rider will win tdf plan, before they had a British rider capbale of finishing inside the top 50. Now that you know this will you aknowledge it's dodgy;)

Or to paraphrase byop will you go the extra mile to try and find another way around?

The aim was dodgy? no, not really. More foolish I suppose.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
in the usada thread RR just explained how Lance provided most info for Plant's mcquaid dossier, as an act of vengeance after mcquaid had said there aint no place for lance in cycling. Now, Wiggins hasn't been very supportive of lance either in the press after the usada file.
i wonder is Wiggins scared of lance now that they are no longer best friends?
wonder does Lance have something on him.

King Boonen said:
The aim was dodgy? no, not really. More foolish I suppose.

Managing to complete that aim with not one, but two riders two years before the five years ran out is dodgy as hell, though. Especially considering their starting point, which was beyond terrible. Britain hadn't had a rider capable of riding mountains since Robert Millar. Their best climber at the time the 5 year plan was put forward was Charles Wegelius.

If they put Geraint Thomas on the podium of the Tour it'll be beyond farcical.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
tbh, it just gets uglier and uglier, seeing how this was all stage-managed.

Dave Brailsford CBE, Team Principal for Team Sky, said: “This has been a dream for some time and now Sky is making it happen. It wouldn’t work without them.

“Team Sky will bring to a professional road team the performance principles that have worked so well with the current GB teams; commitment, meticulous planning, the aggregation of marginal gains and a rider-centred philosophy.

“We want to make heroes, persuade a generation to pull on Team Sky colours and inspire people to ride. This will be an epic story; building a British team to take on the best in professional cycling, and win.”
you can't make this up.
does this have anything to do with sports still?
sport is supposed to be unpredictable.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
sniper said:
tbh, it just gets uglier and uglier, seeing how this was all stage-managed.

you can't make this up.

When I'm trying to work out someone's true intentions I go to their corporate PR department and ask them for a news release. These are genuinely objective, devoid of spin, and certainly not targeted at sports editors of mass circulation media.

Cases involving demonic conspirators sometimes need the the clarifying lens of 5 years' fearless, fair and balanced scrutiny. In the most serious cases it can be necessary to embed an investigative Jesus right up the death star to flush out the truth.

The clinic is at it's most naive, or disingenuous, when it takes press releases (and almost all journalism) out for a spin, declaring them some kind of marker for objective truth.

TRENDING THREADS