• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1099 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Nathan12 said:
Point is in serious cases, haemoglobin is lowered. And Froome would appear to have had a serious case. If the case was mild, and there was no change in haemoglobin- then Sky still have serious questions to answer over how he improved so quickly.

We have second hand hearsay from Walsh that a Sky doctor said his blood profile was unchanged, which tends to suggest a mild case, no?

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Spencer the Half Wit said:
We have second hand hearsay from Walsh that a Sky doctor said his blood profile was unchanged, which tends to suggest a mild case, no?

So why has he had it for years? A mild case should be cured with one dose. Whichever of the stories you believe, they don't match up. That's the problem.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Nathan12 said:
So why has he had it for years? A mild case should be cured with one dose. Whichever of the stories you believe, they don't match up. That's the problem.

You're correct, neither of the stories make much sense. However, that's not uncommon in the case of some illnesses. These comments were from the author of an article about Froome and the disease: -

"Adult schistosomes do feed on the blood, and there is some evidence that blood parameters are affected. Again, how much would vary from one person to another.

It's not so unusual for someone to have a poor understanding of a medical condition. Parasites are complicated, and misunderstood even by many physicians. There is much misinformation about them!"

http://www.decodedscience.com/chris-froomes-parasite-what-is-bilharzia-anyway/33544/2

It may well suit Sky and Froome that there is so much misinformation.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
You're correct, neither of the stories make much sense. However, that's not uncommon in the case of some illnesses. These comments were from the author of an article about Froome and the disease: -

"Adult schistosomes do feed on the blood, and there is some evidence that blood parameters are affected. Again, how much would vary from one person to another.

It's not so unusual for someone to have a poor understanding of a medical condition. Parasites are complicated, and misunderstood even by many physicians. There is much misinformation about them!"

http://www.decodedscience.com/chris-froomes-parasite-what-is-bilharzia-anyway/33544/2

It may well suit Sky and Froome that there is so much misinformation.

The only way to get a proper answer is to ask Sky.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
The narrative as presented by Walsh kind of makes sense (not feeling well, brother gets diagnosed, gets a UCI blood test and asks them to check, discovers parasite, takes meds and gets better).

What I don't get is the UCI's role in this. Are they equipped to check samples for infections? Why wouldn't the team doctor have detected an illness and diagnosed it?

John Swanson

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
The narrative as presented by Walsh kind of makes sense (not feeling well, brother gets diagnosed, gets a UCI blood test and asks them to check, discovers parasite, takes meds and gets better).

What I don't get is the UCI's role in this. Are they equipped to check samples for infections? Why wouldn't the team doctor have detected an illness and diagnosed it?

John Swanson

According to one version, it was diagnosed by Sky either just prior to or just after joining the team. Another confusion.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Froome having a disease that has Ana average cure length of a couple of days, for 3 years after being diagnosed, suggests it is anything but mild;)

"Of all the athletes I've coached, Chris stands out as the most disciplined and the toughest," Nilsen reckoned. "He knows how to manage suffering, but I always was impressed with his ability to recover rapidly, an essential quality for stage racing success.

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/news/sport/cycling-froome-230713.htm#.U0gAfPldV1m#ixzz2yae3vFvt

I'm interested in this quote. I don't think he can have had bilharzia at Barloworld if he was able to 'recover rapidly'. Why were his performances so crap there then?

You're correct, neither of the stories make much sense. However, that's not uncommon in the case of some illnesses. These comments were from the author of an article about Froome and the disease: -.
It's not unusual for people to have some misinformation about their disease. More unusual for a pro athlete who identifies that disease as career threatening, of course, but let's leave that aside for a moment.

It is unusual however for someone who has a minor scare with a disease that gets cured with 1 tablet, to think they are cursed for life with an incurable disease. It's very weird. Like someone who gets kicked in the leg while playing football, spending the next 3 years in a wheelchair claiming they had their leg amputated.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
Well that wouldn't fit the timeline as per his transformation, would it?

John Swanson

No. That would put diagnosis and beginning treatment at around January 2010. It's hard to separate Froome's story from the mass of misinformed articles that have been written though. But they must be getting their story from somewhere.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:
If sky knew he had badzilla long before 2011, why is there no mention of it prior to the 2011 vuelta?

Good question- another area where the journalists have failed to do their work. Because there's nothing- you'd think when he was undergoing treatment (as later statements say he was) after the Tour de Suisse 2011 he'd mention it. Instead he just talks about a cough and a cold.

“I'd gone to Kenya to see family and did the normal UCI blood passport tests. At the same time I said to the doctor, 'Can't you scan for anything that's not right in my blood?' He came back straight away and said you're riddled with bilharzia."

TRENDING THREADS