• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
leon993 said:
Could it be, that Froome does not know he is doped? That it is distributed by Sky team to selected riders, and that those individuals don't know about it?

Certainly, we have heard dopers denying doping through the years, but I have never heard anyone quite like Froome talking so against doping. So could it be he gets it, and doesn't know?

Froome crashed and had a bad day in stage 7 and disastrous day in stage 8. Look at how much time he lost in stage 8. It is said this was due to his crash, but it seems odd, taking into account how many pro's still riding with fractured collarbones, broken fingers etc., and that Froome's crash was next to nothing.

We also saw him taking a nasal spray in stage 2, after which he showed super human form. Did anyone see him taking nasal spray in stage 7 or 8?

I am no doctor, but that seems kind of far fetched. Seems more like you are trying to stick anything you can get your hands on, on Froome.

That there are PED's you take with nasal spray, that not only starts working within hours of usage, but also increase your power output to make you go from +3 min back, to doing multiple attacks, responding to everything your opponents throw at you, leading the pack between all the action and then sprinting for the win is crazy.

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Walkman said:
I am no doctor, but that seems kind of far fetched. Seems more like you are trying to stick anything you can get your hands on, on Froome.

That there are PED's you take with nasal spray, that not only starts working within hours of usage, but also increase your power output to make you go from +3 min back, to doing multiple attacks, responding to everything your opponents throw at you, leading the pack between all the action and then sprinting for the win is crazy.

I agree that Froome is on my top suspiciousness list, like Ricco was in his days. It may be circumstantial though, about the nasal spray. I have noticed strange things with him before, where i was surprised he didn't have power. Do you remember the crosswind stage in last years tour de france? When Saxo put full power in the break some riders made it to the saxo group. Froome also tried but he could not close, which at that time I thought strange.

leon993 said:
I agree that Froome is on my top suspiciousness list, like Ricco was in his days. It may be circumstantial though, about the nasal spray. I have noticed strange things with him before, where i was surprised he didn't have power. Do you remember the crosswind stage in last years tour de france? When Saxo put full power in the break some riders made it to the saxo group. Froome also tried but he could not close, which at that time I thought strange.

It wasn't strange, Froome is inept in reading a race. He lost the moment when he had to go and after those few seconds not even him could bridge.

leon993 said:

Missed that stage. Was a flat stage iirc so I thought it would be a borefest and skipped it. Turned out to be a great stage…typical.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
leon993 said:
Froome crashed and had a bad day in stage 7 and disastrous day in stage 8. Look at how much time he lost in stage 8. It is said this was due to his crash, but it seems odd, taking into account how many pro's still riding with fractured collarbones, broken fingers etc., and that Froome's crash was next to nothing.

I would love to know how this assessment seems to be gaining traction.

Anyone here ever crashed, been injured...ever? :rolleyes:

FFS. We don't know how severe Froome's injuries were, how much pain he may have been in, or how much power he was losing as result of those injuries.
Does this really look like "next to nothing."?

e66502d4-9de7-4585-896f-5131568cdd1f-460x276.jpeg

And then you have to compete, the very next day, against some of the best cyclists in the world who are going all out to win a fairly important race. But those injuries that Froome sustained are somehow insignificant when explaining his loss of time?

I just don't see how Froome losing ground, after having had that crash, is really that difficult to understand. As far as I'm concerned, that crash negates most of the debate on the matter. There are far more interesting, and relevant, things to focus on.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Granville57 said:
I would love to know how this assessment seems to be gaining traction.

It's up there with, "he's huffing Xenon mid-stage".

Granville57 said:
I just don't see how Froome losing ground, after having had that crash, is really that difficult to understand. As far as I'm concerned, that crash negates most of the debate on the matter. There are far more interesting, and relevant, things to focus on.

Could not agree more.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
lenric said:
Even if his injuries had been only superficial, he would have had problems when trying to sleep, which would reduce his recovery, which would increase his tiredness, which would decrease his power, which, well, would screw him.

All good points which I forgot to include. I don't see him having been able to sleep on his back or his side without some serious discomfort. Not to mention the fact that given the fragility of his emaciated body, I would think that any crash would have serious ramifications for him.

Marginal pains? Probably a bit more than that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a crash just recently. Luckily my only injuries are some bad bruises. But just the bruising and soreness has made getting to sleep annoying and difficult. around my shoulder has been pretty sore (in addition to some soreness on my arm that was heavily bruised), and that has made standing on the bike difficult.

Even if a crash results in minor injuries, it can indeed still effect a riders performance.

Afrank said:
I had a crash just recently. Luckily my only injuries are some bad bruises. But just the bruising and soreness has made getting to sleep annoying and difficult. around my shoulder has been pretty sore (in addition to some soreness on my arm that was heavily bruised), and that has made standing on the bike difficult.

Even if a crash results in minor injuries, it can indeed still effect a riders performance.

Yeah, no question. I think Froome was feeling it. And it's the Dauphine, not the Tour. He'll be back full force for the Tour.

I hate to defend Froome, but I expect those injuries had a significant effect on his performance, especially how skinny he is. There's not much there to separate bone from the tarmac.

However, he was trying to drop Contador earlier in the stage, was he not? Who knows, though...Sometimes athletes hide weakness by feigning strength and vice versa. Indurain was excellent at that.

Moose McKnuckles said:
I hate to defend Froome, but I expect those injuries had a significant effect on his performance, especially how skinny he is. There's not much there to separate bone from the tarmac.

However, he was trying to drop Contador earlier in the stage, was he not? Who knows, though...Sometimes athletes hide weakness by feigning strength and vice versa. Indurain was excellent at that.

Hinault always said. 'When feeling weak, attack'
I can't recall a single time it worked for him :D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This, my thoughts also.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
my thoughts also.

and i don't think brailsford minds his team/froome to start in a more underdog position atthe tdf.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Sky sent three riders up the road: they knew Froome didn't have it in him to take the overall, so went for the stage win. It cost Contador as he spent his time eyeing Froome and not chasing after Talansky until it was too late, presumably thinking Froome had the horsepower to do it, then got shafted having to chase it down on his own.

JimmyFingers said:
Sky sent three riders up the road: they knew Froome didn't have it in him to take the overall, so went for the stage win. It cost Contador as he spent his time eyeing Froome and not chasing after Talansky until it was too late, presumably thinking Froome had the horsepower to do it, then got shafted having to chase it down on his own.

So they actually got the team tactics right on the day.

I thought Sky was bad at that :D

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

Contador was more interested with messing with Froome's head than winning overall. He soft pedaled with Froome and tried to get the Sky train to ride for him. I don't think loosing the Daupine will overly worry Contador.

Note to Froome, don't give your competitors more ammo to dislike you by mocking them in your book.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
deeno1975 said:
Contador was more interested with messing with Froome's head than winning overall. He soft pedaled with Froome and tried to get the Sky train to ride for him. I don't think loosing the Daupine will overly worry Contador.

Note to Froome, don't give your competitors more ammo to dislike you by mocking them in your book.

Given that they neutralised after Froome's crash, and I would guess that would come principally from Contador, I think you're making a big assumption. Contador had no doms, he probably thought Froome was in better shape and was waiting for him to attack, which he never did.

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
Hinault always said. 'When feeling weak, attack'
I can't recall a single time it worked for him :D

Hinault never felt weak.

He either felt strong enough to kill you, or strong enough to butcher you whole village, and then kill you.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
So they actually got the team tactics right on the day.

I thought Sky was bad at that :D

Shows that they may finally be learning. That said their tactics was pretty poor right up until yesterday's stage, but without that crash Froome would have probably still won.

the sceptic said:
The thought crossed my mind that Froome actually believes himself to be clean. Either that or he is the most arrogant person I have ever seen.

Nah, froome's denials are really nothing special in their passion. Im clean, i cant see how I can be cleaner. Im not lance. Lance cheated, I don't.

Pretty much what any run of the mill liar doper says.

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Yeah, no question. I think Froome was feeling it. And it's the Dauphine, not the Tour. He'll be back full force for the Tour.

Tend to agree to a point. Still think Berti's stronger.

But Froome who was dropped, and then REALLY dropped in the last two stage, also won the TT by a clear margin, and pulled Berti all the way to stage 2 and still won. Not close to the same rider - something happened. Obvious, though not certain, answer is the crash.

TRENDING THREADS