• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1241 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So how are Team Sky riders getting away with it and other team's riders getting caught then?

I mean if the hottest evidence is Leinders, a TUE and a rider recovered from a blood virus when there's riders on other teams actually sanctioned and serving bans from this year alone, it seems you're chasing the wrong Team at this moment in time if you simply want to expose evidence and links to doping in cycling in 2014.

You've currently got long established cycling Nations and teams tightly linked to their own Federations all simultaneously serving UCI sanctions in the 2014 season currently consisting of 10 Italian riders, 8 Russian riders, 8 Polish riders, 4 Spanish riders and 4 American riders all at the top of this naughty list. These Countries already have riders racing on Team Sky and not a single rider sanctioned while riding for them in 4 years.

To believe the reason no Sky riders have been sanctioned for the last 4 years when others of the same nationality are, is either to believe Sky are cheating using undetectable doping methods which means a whole new era of doping, or Sky are somehow lining the palms of not only WADA & UCI but every national cycling federation and government anti-doping agency on an international scale. I mean you are theoretically arguing that an Italian rider on a British team would be protected by their own federation if racing for British Sky, yet an Italian rider on an Italian team under that same federation which currently has 8 riders serving sanctions and 2 provisional suspensions would be exposed and serve a doping sanction.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
samhocking said:
To believe the reason no Sky riders have been sanctioned for the last 4 years when others of the same nationality are, is either to believe Sky are cheating using undetectable doping methods which means a whole new era of doping, or Sky are somehow lining the palms of not only WADA & UCI but every national cycling federation and government anti-doping agency on an international scale. I mean you are theoretically arguing that an Italian rider on a British team would be protected by their own federation if racing for British Sky, yet an Italian rider on an Italian team under that same federation which currently has 8 riders serving sanctions and 2 provisional suspensions would be exposed and serve a doping sanction.

JTL was basically sanctioned. lost his gig at sly Sky alliteration

it is a combination of all these factors, the Eastern/Central Euros maybe more laissez faire, and thinking it was overtly endorsed. But it is endorsed as bifurcation. Inside, but please hide it and pass the tests for outsiders.

Because the tests are still IQ tests.

And the Eastern/Central Euros, and Asians, have a harder time from the authorities. They are expendable. So if I was either of those nationalities, I would work doubly hard on my IQ tests, and not give the authorities an excuse for expedience.

So I would say all the right things. Basically, you need to speak like Paula Radcliffe and be a massive hypocrite.

But if you look at the history, and think that Type A professional athletes well remunerated, will forgo their just rewards being cheated out of their prizes and salary, one has to be stupid.

All of the academics in PEDs have alluded to this, Hoberman, Yesalis, Savulescu, even Don Catlin for chrissakes.

The "tell" in poker metaphorical terms, is not hard science, its the social science.

Its not your blood bags, your mass spectometer gas chromatography, its not your reticulocytes or hemoglobin or red cell mass. Its the psychology of the peloton at an individual and bloc level.

No one will forgo their just deserts willingly if they are Type A pros. They will hit back hard like Floyd. Yes, Floyd took his punches.

... for a time. When the time promised, if he did the right thing he would be welcomed back to a gig. To the Radioshack opening.

Athletes are not gonna surrender advantage. Now, the Goldman experiment, may not be 100% perfect in the parameters and the structure of the questions, in terms of how we use it here. In pop-culture terms.

But it goes to evidence. It gives a glimpse into the psychology of the athlete. And this is where the true insight, and the bahavioural act and motivation lies. It does not lie in a lab testing blood and urine. Or the lab decieves (lies), It wont tell the true scenario and culture.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Christophe Bassons take on the current state of pro cycling, taken from his excellent book. 'A Clean Break'. I wonder who he was thinking of when he wrote the first couple of paragraphs? ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Break-My-Story-ebook/dp/B00KWYKG80

When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

But what strikes me more than anything is the morphology of the riders. To win the Tour, it now seems you have to be very slender and have little muscle. These riders don’t look like they could do anything on a bike, but they produce the same power as those in previous generations. All notions about the power to- weight ratio seem to have been overturned.

As I mentioned above, my current position as regional anti-doping representative, with responsibility for implementing anti-doping controls on behalf of the AFLD, enables me to keep abreast of the latest news about substances that can be used by athletes for doping purposes.

Currently, questions are being asked about the extent to which products such as AICAR, GW501516, TP500 and GAS6 are being used. Some of them have already been found during searches of vehicles and have been used by some athletes, doctors and soigneurs. These substances provide an equivalent effect to EPO, because they improve the performance of the athlete by boosting the transport and utilisation of oxygen by the body. Their effect is very well known. The combination of AICAR and TP500, for example, increases the number of mitochondria in the muscles. These cells are in a way little energy plants, which transform substrates (carbohydrates, lipids, proteins) into energy through the use of oxygen. These two products also bring about an increase in lipolysis (the breakdown of ‘fat’ to provide energy). They maintain lipolysis during intense efforts.

To be more specific, when an athlete is riding at 80 per cent of his maximum, in principle he stops burning fat and only burns carbohydrate. By using these products, he can continue to burn fat as well as carbohydrate, even at 95 per cent of his maximum. This additional power, which stems from the use of fat reserves, offers a huge advantage. It is absolutely impossible to achieve naturally.

Meanwhile the public can see another effect of the products in the physical transformation of competitors into athletes who don’t seem very muscular and are very lean. They have a very low fat percentage because they are able to burn all their fats, including those in muscle fibres, and benefit from an increase in energy.

With regard to growth factor GAS6, this allows the secretion of endogenous EPO. It is completely undetectable.

Meanwhile, directeurs sportifs attempt to put forward rational explanations for the performances of their riders as if chanting a mantra. They talk about intense training, reconnaissance of mountain passes in the rain and the fog, about improvements in equipment … These arguments have been heard a thousand times before. The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago with Lance Armstrong and his US Postal team, just as it did with the Festina team.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The combination of AICAR and TP500, for example, increases the number of mitochondria in the muscles. These cells are in a way little energy plants, which transform substrates (carbohydrates, lipids, proteins) into energy through the use of oxygen. These two products also bring about an increase in lipolysis (the breakdown of ‘fat’ to provide energy). They maintain lipolysis during intense efforts.

Look:
http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=147

Hence the hypothesis that Nibali actually expressed an incredibly high LIPID POWER that has allowed him to consume less glycogen than calculated above.

I knew I read something like that before, good thing the Aicar test is a treshold test...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
What's 'theory' got to do with it? His sanction is the reality of his doping in a previous team, not from his time at Sky. This is fact, no theory is required.

Really, you do realise he spent a lot of the season of his doping training with Sky?

I look forward to your response to Freddy....:)

Robert21 said:
Christophe Bassons take on the current state of pro cycling, taken from his excellent book. 'A Clean Break'. I wonder who he was thinking of when he wrote the first couple of paragraphs? ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Break-My-Story-ebook/dp/B00KWYKG80

Ha beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Basically a rehash of all the points raised on here 100 times before by those who doubt Sky.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Freddythefrog said:
I enjoyed that.

Samhocking - just look at the evidence regarding the convicted dopers at two levels. Firstly look at the factual number of positives. As stated it is an IQ test and an IQ test easily defeated with shared knowledge. Vast quantities of testing conducted to catch who ? The big busts have not come not from any testing but from the civil authorities acting outside the sporting arena.

Then look at the dopers. Let's start with the convicted dopers.
Basso, Lance, Tyler, Landis. Virenque is a great one for me right now because I see I still have in my pile of paper cuttings and magazines (that is a tribute to the morons who masquerade as cycling journalists), the Cycling Weekly tribute to him as the greatest ever climber of all time. Page after page of the stuff , all printed many years after Festina. In the 1998 Tour he was pictured in tears, spouting his innocence and how wrong it was for Festina to be ejected from the Tour. Neil Stephens came across for Virenque and the rest of the team about as sincerely as his fellow compatriot Shane Sutton does in the media, backing up his story. Next year Virenque was banned from the Tour, but got the ban overturned using the UCI. He rode the Tour on bike painted in white with red dots and wrote a book in response to "Breaking the Chain", professing his innocence. (I wish I had a recording of Floyd on the BBC Radio 4 Today program professing his innocence.) Later of course it all went wrong and suddenly poor "victim" Virenque needed the support of his fans then, just like Millar for us Brits, the idiots that fell for his story the first time, would rather be taken for suckers all over again, than address their own stupidity in the face of outstanding evidence. So Virenque came back, rode "cleans" in the Lance era and won the balance of his 7 polka dot jerseys. I didn't see it but I understand that now he is doing punditry on the TV.

Now look at the evidence of the non-convicted dopers. Let's keep it away from Wiggo or Froome but with Radcliffe. There is not much doubt it is her name on that small list of "red" category athletes that was put in the lap of the IAAF. If that domino tumbles, it follows that it is her legal team that is acting "super aggressively" and has achieved a lock-down that Ryan Giggs and the MUFC media machine was not able to match. Look at the facts. A whole shed load of convicted, epo fueled African distance runners have not run as fast as "white men can't run" "cleans" Paula did after she found "rounder wheels" and "better pillows" to go from loser to winner. Go back on her twitter feed. I have a screen print of her tweet as the Russian doping story started on German TV saying it "made her sick". Sorry darling, not half as sick as it made you feel before you called your legal attack dogs into action as people began to work out that it was not the obvious face in the frame - Christine O. Radcliffe is not going down because too many people in too many high places have invested so much of themselves in the fantasy. Will Radcillfe defender Oldcrank post up here his change of heart ? Not a chance - it will be "never convicted blah blah blah only gossip blah blah blah" Yeah sure thing - let's keep that Flo-Jo record in the books, it looks so good.

British Cycling have cynically followed the same path. All those knighthoods and awards, not just for the riders but the likes of Keen, Sutton, King as well as Cookson and Brailsford. Keen is there right at the heart of the UK Sport WCPP programs. He had gone once but they brought him back. How dull was that ? Couldn't they work out Boardman ? Or was it the fanboys chose not to engage their brains? If the Boardman domino were to tumble, the Keen domino is linked to it with a taut bit of string. The block of establishment figures that is invested in the Sky myth is enormous.

Then consider downstream from the low grade IQ test, is the process around the tiny bit of evidence that the tests reveal, treated appropriately ? Let's not look back in time, let's go with something entirely in the Cookson "transparent UCI" era. The Tonkov story was making the rounds over 12 months before it crept out. Go on, tell me the way Cookson and his staff handled that was anything other than wholly unsatisfactory.

More importantly, make a case for Cookson's actions after it was put to him that updating a remote PDF, without any notice, was not the way a sport should act when, after a year's speculation and innuendo, the winner of the 2nd most prestigious races in its firmament is finally announced as disqualified for PED infractions. When that was put to him, Cookson acted exactly like Virenque , Stephens, Floyd and Tyler - it isn't me guv - I have done nothing wrong ! Excuse blah blah blah, clutch at straw blah blah blah, look over there blah blah blah.

Samhocking, if you look at what Sky invest in the technology and support for the riders, it requires no significant step to imagine that the riders and team management will invest more than enough to defeat doping controls. Look who is around them. I used Stephens at the top because, again, this will take us away from BC/Sky and see that the same confidence trick is present in Australian sport as it is in Brit, American or Russian sport. Stephens is at the heart of Orica Green edge. The guy told us it straight as only an Aussie can. He was clean as a whistle at Festina, had never seen a PED, none of his team-mates had.

Back to Sky, I have the cutting from 2012 as the USADA files started to be made public "DS Yates steps down on health grounds". Poor guy, he had heart problems. When it was put to them that Yates' departure was related to Lance revelations, Sky denied it - purely health grounds. Oh and in case memory is weak, Cookson was, at that time and had been since inception, on the tiny board of directors of Team Sky and therefore entirely responsible for its commercial and employment matters. It is the season for religion - so glad Yates was "touched" and via a miracle is recovered so he is back as DS for Saxo. It is inconceivable that Sir David and Sutton OBE did not know the track records when they hired that bunch - a long-term team-mate of Lance f f s - hired in 2010. And people actually believe Cookson is the right man for the job ?

Am I saddened, of course I am. But just how good is the internet ? So many have their odd little bit of information. So many eyes and ears out there. On its own, each element is virtually worthless. Together it is entirely different. Cookson is already finding the seat a whole lot hotter than Hein or Pat before him. The landscape is shifting.

What exactly is your point? I can't find a single line that actually relates to what I discussed.

Freddythefrog said:
The newspapers can't even do that.

It Christmas and I am having a grand sort out. I have a big pile of newspapers and magazines I don't throw away. I like to keep them because I hope that, occasionally "truth will out" and the odd thief and their complicit associates in the administration gravy train, who so disfigure sport will get exposed. I found an Observer Sport Monthly for July 2009 I kept for its "Lance comeback" special. It needs to be shown to every 18 year old contemplating a life in sport. I will save the St David of Millardom quotes within it, for another post, suffice to say at that time, the wind the dawg found to blow him so strongly around each and every hairpin of the Ventoux was blowing St David towards Lance, to whom he plighted his fidelity with "Our relationship has always been close". [Where is an icon for - puking into a sick-bag and the contents overfilling and falling onto your feet -when you need it ?]

But back to Wrinkly and the rightness of the free press. Latest addition to my sad pile of newsprint is the Telegraph double page spread with headline screaming "THE BIGGEST DOPING COVER-UP IN ATHLETICS HISTORY". So where has this gone? If we believe the poster on Bike Radar who sent a pm to RaceRadio, RR replied that he already knew the answer to his tweet to Paula Radcliffe when he asked her if it was her name on the list. Her "super aggressive" lawyers have locked down the revealing of FACTS that a whilstleblower tried to expose. It appears that in this case the IAAF establishment have acted with an athlete to make sure we don't get the FACTS. Do I find this unusual? Look at that selfie the idiot Cookson took with dopers Eddie and Gilbert (who I see has several fellow team-mates calling him out). Cookson took it at a symposium for Juniors helping them find their way in the sport. "Look - stealing and cheating pays" it screamed.

Radcliffe, Wiggins, Boardman and now Froome are all major figures in the iconography of UK sport. All are put forward by the press as clean icons not to be tainted by dirty johnny foreigner they thrashed. Belief that whilst PEDs were rampant in their sports, these "stars" can somehow set a collection of records, is suspended. Do I believe any of them are clean ? I don't have a the tiniest belief any of them are anything other than a sham exactly like born-again St David was in July 2009 in his so eloquent love letter to Lance so carefully recorded in the Observer.

I think it is quite simple. Factually, all had committed to their careers with no fall back. I propose they all met their Calvary. They discovered the playing field had a slope on it and the authorities were like Cookson with his seflie - actively promoting the known dopers. Boardman is quoted as being sick of cycling at the end of 1991 and talks of leaving the sport. He had two kids and lived in a two bed terrace with no money. He had just been thrashed at the Pursuit Worlds by riders using the new undetectable drug epo. The choice was give up cycling do more casual labour helping out decorating or "join them". Critically, he also had alongside him an adviser with little to lose but plenty to gain if Boardman took all the risks; a malevolent voice in his ear. Boardman chose "join them" and hasn't it worked out well for Boardman and the "professor" alongside him. The Lotus bike made excellent cover for his wiggo/dawg like improvements, provided one does not look at the comparative improvements achieved by Colin Wallace or Bryan Steel when they were riding it at the time.

Brad was on the fringes of it all. He had won Olympic gold and found out like Boardman before, that this didn't make him rich and so went and lived in the boozer. He was out of it. No future. Undoubtedly his father's end was a vivid signpost to the choices that lay ahead. Brailsford dried him out and like Keen before him, Brailsford had plenty to gain and little to lose, so reinforced the stark choices ahead and gave him a vision of how Wiggo (and Sir David) could make money from this seriously scr**ed up sport. Wiggo went full genius and the rest is history.

As other posters have so eloquently put it Froome was about to lose his contract with Sky. The dream was over. Obscurity and poverty beckoned. Why have a few years as a domestique and walk away to nothing when he too could do even better what Wiggo and Brailsford was doing ? Yes, he should have won in 2012. The 2013 pay-back that saw the defending Tour champ not even take the start line, was awesome to behold. How seriously does Brailsford despise the fans, that he thinks so many cannot see through it ?

For Radcliffe it was the same. At the 93 World Championships she had a 7th; 5th in 95. At the Olympics in 1996 it was a 5th as well. The World Champs in 97 and the CG in 98 brought no spoils. This career was going to end with none of the riches, the Monaco life style, the hobnobbing with "stars" of the day - "look mummy who is that alongside the gallant knight Sir Chris, close by Sir David ?" I don't know about the relationship with her husband but it draws comment elsewhere. Was he taking the role of a Brailsford or Keen, "WE have put X years into this and all you have to do now is ....." You can decide if in 1999, after 6 years of getting her teeth kicked in, Radcliffe found the precursor of "marginal gains" and was able to fine tune her training regime so that she went from "plucky Brit loser" to fastest ever, ever, in the history of humankind, just at a time when epo usage was at its most epic. That this "clean" athlete seems so reluctant to share with the World the science behind why she was able to explain away her "red" readings to so august and determined a body as the IAAF on their relentless search to out the dopers and instead appears, if indeed raceradio is calling it right, and it is her, to instead be resorting to a "highly aggressive legal team" to keep it all under wraps, must be baffling to her apostles.

To those of us who keep old newspapers and pictures of idiot Cookson and his selfies, the Radcliffe silence is not comforting, because she still holds every wrongly gained asset she possesses.

Did they dope ? I am only speculating.

Common sense, held by the majority, as expressed to you by Benotti, is that - "professional cycling is riddled with dopers. Brad is a doper, the dawg is a doper and a lot of the other Brit cyclists are dopers too". Common sense also informs the common person that a real sporting hero is not going to be found with riches and awards overfilling their cup, but will have a very different profile. For a couple, let's keep it Brit centric and look at the pursuit in the period 1989 to 1996. Two Brit riders there stand head and shoulders above the Brit who could win the World TT championship. (For f.s., who in their right mind thinks Boardman could beat them clean ? )

Yes, Wrinkly and the rest of the fanboys, I admire you posting here and the sincerity of your belief. Sadly that belief requires a recalibration.

The saddest piece of the 2009 Observer Lance-fest was a piece by Mike Grisenthwaite, founder of UK charity of Cyclists Fight Cancer. It was a piece of religion backed with "how could so nice and great a World star possibly commit such a fraud ?". Sir Brad, Sir David, Sir Chris, all of these have found the palms laid in their path placed by idiots like Cookson. If you want to run an investigation to detect dopers you would not employ anyone like Cookson in any capacity whatsoever. A fanboy of the worst sort - one who cannot counter an alternative view.
Fantastic post my friend. fantastic.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
British Cycling have cynically followed the same path. All those knighthoods and awards, not just for the riders but the likes of Keen, Sutton, King as well as Cookson and Brailsford.

knighthoods = cancer shields. Will make the threshold required to take down these false gods much greater. The info can get out on the web, but without Murdoch and red-tops and the newsprint industry, will it get out, or will it be hidden like Sir Jimmy Saville for half a century.

I think Radcliffe will be safe. It wont get out. Just like it took Floyd going nuclear to pull down Lance. Lance was a Today Show, the Late Show, the Jay Leno guest athlete. The pop culture athlete. We dont take down Michael Jordan, or Magic Johnson. These athletes live in another stratosphere, where for the most part, they cant be touched. Requires an exception that proves the rule, Floyd going nuclear.

whistleblowers are the exception that proves the rule. then the whistleblower like chelsea manning or edward snowden are defamed.

+ Rob Hayles
+ Rob Hayles
+ Rob Hayles

who does RH work for now? ohhhh, I hear you say, he is Cav's personal assistant? Does his job description include motoman duties?

hematocrit breaches, health test breaches, 3 days before Manchester Worlds in '08.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
I used Stephens at the top because, again, this will take us away from BC/Sky and see that the same confidence trick is present in Australian sport as it is in Brit, American or Russian sport. Stephens is at the heart of Orica Green edge. The guy told us it straight as only an Aussie can. He was clean as a whistle at Festina, had never seen a PED, none of his team-mates had.

indeed. loved this bit. Dear Wiggo <poster that is> will enjoy it to. Ferminal also.

but we need to show AusCycleFan94. she wont.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
But back to Wrinkly and the rightness of the free press. Latest addition to my sad pile of newsprint is the Telegraph double page spread with headline screaming "THE BIGGEST DOPING COVER-UP IN ATHLETICS HISTORY".

I have a few Russian mates, who left in the 80s, and are now ~50 a fair whack older than me.

and I asked about the anecdote on the Russian attache who was doing a study tour thru the US in either Brezhnev or Khrushchev regime(s). And the Soviet apparatchik asked his US envoy/supervisor how the US press managed to publish the same thing everyday, with Pravda we have to bend the arm of the editor.

my mate said this anecdote has more than a truth <ring> to it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Brad was on the fringes of it all. He had won Olympic gold and found out like Boardman before,
if McGee had the same prep for Athens that Wiggins did, McGee takes Wiggins down.

I dont think he was clean before, but definitely not the European road pro type of doper, he was just doing a little to even the playing field, not much. I dont buy that premise that some have, that a rider like Froome, or Wiggins, merely flick the switch and go full genius. Indeed they do go full genius, but not from a perfectly clean base.

Freddythefrog you are being formally inducted into The Clinic Twelve.

blackcat will second you.

JV is the chair, we now have 15 members, and i sit on the high secretariat. not the horse.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
A must read from 2009. Prepare to raise an eyebrow or two.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/clean-sky-on-the-horizon

With Garmin-Slipstream and Columbia both spending recourses on internal testing, Sky look set to follow suit although the chances of them working with Don Catlin, the doping expert Garmin and Columbia both use as an independent tester, seem unlikely.

Chris Froome, one of the riders who has signed told Cyclingnews that Sky's clean stance was vital in securing his signature. "To me it goes back to the moral and ethical side of riding. The whole doping side is killing the sport and the authenticity of the racing. How many times do you sit there, see a guy win a race and then see the real winner announced a few weeks later?" said Froome.

"Independent testing has its merits but we have a programme that we are comfortable with. We've presented it to the UCI and they're comfortable with it too. They have recourse that we can use and we can work with them on target testing if we ever have any concerns. We'll work hand-in-hand."

UCI President Pat McQuaid agreed with Brailsford, adding that in his eyes, British Cycling and Sky had the right attitude when it came to clean sport.

And this:
"There has been a lot of discussion between David and the anti-doping department at the UCI on the philosophy of the team. It's a similar to the British track team, who over the years and along with British Cycling, have been advocates of a clean sport. Any of the athletes they deal with, this philosophy is ingrained in them." McQuaid said.

coming from McQuaid in 2009, this is stronger evidence of Sky doping than any positive test could provide.

TRENDING THREADS