• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1291 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

[quote="King Boonen"

To answer your initial question, No. Tramadol is not on the banned list, I believe it is still being monitored though.[/quote]

Tramadol is not banned.

So, Benotti what rule has he broken? And was it with sky or previously?

May 26, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
Tramadol is not banned.

Spudickers, Sky dont play by the rules. How can they when UCI doesn't enforce their own rules and breaks them at will for, I guess, whoever pays the piper picks the tune?

If Tramadol kills pain in order for a rider to ignore that pain and continue with his performance and not suffer the natural drop in performance due to the pain, I believe that is 'enhancement'.

Now if you want to bellow about rules, fire ahead, but UCI doesn't play by the rules.

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
TheSpud said:

ughhh :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:
No, he didn't break any rules. However, it does look very bad. Sheesh, these Sky fanbois... :eek:

Why?

uhm, using Tramadol for a TT while you're not actually hurt :confused:

That's not an explanation of why.

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
No, he didn't break any rules. However, it does look very bad. Sheesh, these Sky fanbois... :eek:
Why?
Maybe you should have made it more obvious which part of my post you were asking about then? I assumed you wanted clarification about "it does look very bad".

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why?
Maybe you should have made it more obvious which part of my post you were asking about then? I assumed you wanted clarification about "it does look very bad".

That's exactly what I wanted a clarification of. Tramadol is not a banned substance. Any rider can use it as long as they get it from a doctor. No rule has been broken so I fail to see how this can look "bad". Please explain why not breaking the rules is a bad thing.

King Boonen said:
That's exactly what I wanted a clarification of. Tramadol is not a banned substance. Any rider can use it as long as they get it from a doctor. No rule has been broken so I fail to see how this can look "bad". Please explain why not breaking the rules is a bad thing.

If you can't see why a rider using Tramadol only to enhance performance while Tramadol abuse is a known issue in the peloton then I'm afraid I can't help you... :eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site

King Boonen said:

Why is taking a pain killer not a bad thing?

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

If you can't see why a rider using Tramadol only to enhance performance while Tramadol abuse is a known issue in the peloton then I'm afraid I can't help you... :eek:

No and it seems like you can't help yourself. I know the prevailing knowledge in the clinic is Sky are full of dopers, cheat with the backing of national and international federations and some probably even think they have access to amazing, unknown doping products others don't. But if you're going to start moaning about riders doing something that IS NOT AGAINST THE RULES, I'm afraid I'm going to point out how ridiculous that is.

Riders use a vast array of products to enhance performance, some of which are banned and some of which aren't. Complaining about the legal ones is pretty silly. I supposed if someone pops a couple of paracetamol and ibuprofen you'll jump about and say how that looks really bad as well?

King Boonen said:
No and it seems like you can't help yourself. I know the prevailing knowledge in the clinic is Sky are full of dopers, cheat with the backing of national and international federations and some probably even think they have access to amazing, unknown doping products others don't. But if you're going to start moaning about riders doing something that IS NOT AGAINST THE RULES, I'm afraid I'm going to point out how ridiculous that is.

Riders use a vast array of products to enhance performance, some of which are banned and some of which aren't. Complaining about the legal ones is pretty silly. I supposed if someone pops a couple of paracetamol and ibuprofen you'll jump about and say how that looks really bad as well?

We don't even know if it happened at Sky :eek: :eek: (in fact it's very unlikely as Roche has only ridden a couple races for Sky) :eek: trying to make this all about sky :eek:

Tramadol abuse is a problem. Many teams, riders and authorities acknowledge this. How can you defend it? :confused:

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

in the short time i've been on here i've picked up a vibe. sky bad, bad bad bad, naughty bad sky, evil, no reason, i'm crazy, crazy paranoid, sky bad.

or something like that.

p.s. i'm british but not really xenophobic or particularly tubthumping, nor a particular fan of any team per se. but the sky haters on here are what the kids would call cray cray.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Singer01 said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

in the short time i've been on here i've picked up a vibe. sky bad, bad bad bad, naughty bad sky, evil, no reason, i'm crazy, crazy paranoid, sky bad.

or something like that.

p.s. i'm british but not really xenophobic or particularly tubthumping, nor a particular fan of any team per se. but the sky haters on here are what the kids would call cray cray.

You have not read enough of the sky related threads and have no knowledge of the history of the sport and its doping. Otherwise you are trolling.

Sky lied. Sky do things with their riders that they cant or wont explain. Do some research.

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

We don't even know if it happened at Sky :eek: :eek: (in fact it's very unlikely as Roche has only ridden a couple races for Sky) :eek: trying to make this all about sky :eek:

Tramadol abuse is a problem. Many teams, riders and authorities acknowledge this. How can you defend this? :confused:

You're in the Sky thread so don't be surprised is someone makes a general comment about them when addressing a comment to try and keep things vaguely on topic.

I'm not saying it is good or bad, I think trying to bring ethics into professional sports is ridiculous. I'm saying that it is not against the rules (so it can't be used to imply there would be other types of doping going on) and other than that it should be between him and his doctor.

So what is "very bad" about it? Just the fact that he is using a pain killer? That's been going on since pain killers were discovered and unless you're going to drag up a load of research to show that low use tramadol in professional athletes is a serious health concern I'm failing to see what it is, apart from possibly implying that because he does this he'll no doubt fill himself full of illegal dope too?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

Singer01 said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

or something like that.

And posters like martinvickers and joachimp are the voices of reason? :rolleyes:

people hate sky for a reason. They started a new doping arms race and made a joke of the sport again.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

Tramadol abuse is a problem. Many teams, riders and authorities acknowledge this. How can you defend this? :confused:

You're in the Sky thread so don't be surprised is someone makes a general comment about them when addressing a comment to try and keep things vaguely on topic.

I'm not saying it is good or bad, I think trying to bring ethics into professional sports is ridiculous. I'm saying that it is not against the rules (so it can't be used to imply there would be other types of doping going on) and other than that it should be between him and his doctor.

So what is "very bad" about it? Just the fact that he is using a pain killer? That's been going on since pain killers were discovered and unless you're going to drag up a load of research to show that low use tramadol in professional athletes is a serious health concern I'm failing to see what it is, apart from possibly implying that because he does this he'll no doubt fill himself full of illegal dope too?

Nico Roche admits to taking tramadol to enhance a TT performance. This is ok?

King Boonen said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tramado ... ng-peloton

Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

Please see the bolded section.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

Please see the bolded section.

Nothing to do with ethics it is to do with mentality and culture of riders and UCI. Riders and teams are always looking for performance enhancement and will take anything and everything they think can help and cannot be detected. Roche admitted to Tramadol andL-Carnitine, but what else is he taking? Why stop at those 2?

Benotti69 said:
Nothing to do with ethics it is to do with mentality and culture of riders and UCI. Riders and teams are always looking for performance enhancement and will take anything and everything they think can help and cannot be detected. Roche admitted to Tramadol andL-Carnitine, but what else is he taking? Why stop at those 2?

He will, like almost everyone else, be taking whatever he can that will give him an edge within the rules (and maybe beyond, who knows).

Why stop at those two? Because they are not banned? The implication that he'll happily take anything, banned or not, just because he has taken tramadol, is akin to saying that I'm likely to use steroids just because I took a couple of ibuprofen a day after a really long ride.

Whether he should or not is an ethical and moral discussion.

TRENDING THREADS