• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1307 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Wiggins points to the adoption of the marginal gains concept by most professional teams as Sky’s main contribution: “Everyone is doing those things now. I was the first to do a [post-stage] warm-down on a turbo trainer, we turned up at the Giro in 2010 in skinsuits and everyone laughed, we brought in [aerodynamic] covered helmets. Tim Kerrison took us to Tenerife; that hotel [on Mount Teide] is booked year-round now.”

surely all of these lies can easily be disproven with a quick google search..

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Sky, 2011 Giro:

Final TT team aggregate: 14th place / 22
Highest placed rider: 21st @ 43:51
Teams classification final GC: 19/22

Were those people laughing at skinsuits or Team Sky in general? One of the richest teams around riding like dogs.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Some Skyfans have complained about the comparisons of Sky to USPS, but it must however continue

https://www.facebook.com/johanbruyneel/ ... 71301577:0

Look what Johan Bruyneel found in his garage from 2005.

Sky continuosly claim to be leaders in technology. Sadly Sky are only leaders in PR bull.

It's beautiful. All marginal gains were orginally invented by Lance and Johan. Sky are even stealing their PR strategy!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Wonder what else Sky 'raided' the USPS way for 'marginal gains' enhancements?
"in hindsight, yes, some things did look rather suspect",
"if only we'd known then what we know now"
"perhaps we should look at ourselves and conclude we could've been a tad bit less credulous"
(selection of phrases we'll read in the british press once the whole house of cards comes falling down, i'm giving it six to seven years)

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Sky are one of the biggest users of cortisone in the entire peloton. The manner in which they dominated the 2012 Tour would not have been possible without it.

Re: Re:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
"in hindsight, yes, some things did look rather suspect",
"if only we'd known then what we know now"
"perhaps we should look at ourselves and conclude we could've been a tad bit less credulous"
(selection of phrases we'll read in the british press once the whole house of cards comes falling down, i'm giving it six to seven years)

Will the statute of limitations be triggered by then? I call 5 years after SOL.

Brailsford should be "coaching" elsewhere by then.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
MagnificentMerckx said:
Benotti69 said:

Sky are one of the biggest users of cortisone in the entire peloton. The manner in which they dominated 2012 Tour would not have been possible without it.

Isn't the cortisone catabolic though? I don't know enough about it.

Cortisone is indeed a catabolic steroid. And also a very powerful and effective anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cortisone/anti-inflammatories/corticoids/corticosteroids,

was the major PED class before EPO. allows someone to hammer 250km today, and be fresh to go au bloc 250 km tomorrow.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
MagnificentMerckx said:
Benotti69 said:

Sky are one of the biggest users of cortisone in the entire peloton. The manner in which they dominated 2012 Tour would not have been possible without it.

yes it's catabolic, i.e. eats away/breaks down muscle tissue, so basically has the opposite effect of HGH and anabolic steroids. So indeed, its not wise for a cyclist to overdo it.
The main benefits of cortisone are painkilling and recovery.
A 2011, very instructive Clinic thread on cortisone benefits:
viewtopic.php?t=13700

Cortisone abuse goes way back.
While Sky is probably using it at will, it's not likely the drug that gives them the edge.

You are advised to NOT take cortisone long term - it works but then starts to break you down - there are long term affects...basically your head is telling you it's ok to train and the cortisone is allowing you to train but it's fooling you and you are ripping yourself up with no chance to heal.

Two years is the point at which you break down - that's why I wonder about froome and certainly Wiggins' form fell off a cliff in 2013.

Note: if anyone can help me out here, there was a rider in the last few years who took cortisone for legitimate reasons, could have raced, but pulled himself out voluntarily because he knew he felt better than usual and didn't think It right to race until the benefits had worn off - if anyone remembers who it was.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

sniper said:
DirtyWorks said:
MagnificentMerckx said:
Benotti69 said:

yes it's catabolic, i.e. eats away/breaks down muscle tissue, so basically has the opposite effect of HGH and anabolic steroids. So indeed, its not wise for a cyclist to overdo it.
The main benefits of cortisone are painkilling and recovery.
A 2011, very instructive Clinic thread on cortisone benefits:
viewtopic.php?t=13700

Cortisone abuse goes way back.
While Sky is probably using it at will, it's not likely the drug that gives them the edge.

That is true. But what about all the different types of synthetic blood boosters that are now available and probably most of which are undectectable. ? One wonders what exactly is the recipe.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

MagnificentMerckx said:
That is true. But what about all the different types of synthetic blood boosters that are now available and probably most of which are undectectable. ? One wonders what exactly is the recipe.
what about them?
I don't think it's a matter of "are they using this, or are they using that?" It's and-and. Aggregation.

Froome's cortisone/prednisone TUE is revealing, but mostly in the sense that it's evidence of (a) Sky's talk about nutrition, magic pillows, etc. being a smokescreen and (b) Sky receiving dodgy institutional support.
Not that we didn't know that already, but the TUE underlines it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
blackcat said:
cortisone/anti-inflammatories/corticoids/corticosteroids,

was the major PED class before EPO. allows someone to hammer 250km today, and be fresh to go au bloc 250 km tomorrow.

My understanding was you can't keep it up for days on end. I'm not the expert though, so any help is appreciated.
not a medical professional myself neither, tho I do know, that it might break down that tissue waste, but the tissue waste exists for a reason, and if you keep on banging out 250 km hammer fests day after day, your body is gunna give up the ghost.

wont be good on retirement.

which is one of the reasons, the ex-pro sportsmen who have OD'ed on the cortisone, their body suffers badly in retirement. They pay the price.

so what you wrote, sounds logical by my intuition too.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Compared to tennis there is remarkably few rumours about silent bans in cycling. After the Menchov/Barredo/Bertagnolli/etc face plant UCI has cleaned up their act. No other international sports federation announces provisonal suspensions in such timely and consistent manner as UCI. Even if it is only in a pdf file.

Take for instance IAAF. Athletes can be provisionally suspended by them for years without any public announcement. Or IBU, who waited several weeks to announce some EPO positives this winter. It does of course create rumours.

JTL Ready to come back!

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/CYCLING-Banned-star-Jon-Tiernan-Locke-says-make/story-26371491-detail/story.html

Seems like some think he was hard done by

2u7w278.png

Re:

Digger said:
You are advised to NOT take cortisone long term - it works but then starts to break you down - there are long term affects...basically your head is telling you it's ok to train and the cortisone is allowing you to train but it's fooling you and you are ripping yourself up with no chance to heal.

Two years is the point at which you break down - that's why I wonder about froome and certainly Wiggins' form fell off a cliff in 2013.

Note: if anyone can help me out here, there was a rider in the last few years who took cortisone for legitimate reasons, could have raced, but pulled himself out voluntarily because he knew he felt better than usual and didn't think It right to race until the benefits had worn off - if anyone remembers who it was.

Not sure but Pierre Rolland? Probably not though but Europcar were warned by some authority about cortisone use a couple of years ago.

TRENDING THREADS