• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1327 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Sky

This comment from Escrabajo reminded me of 2010

Escarabajo said:
Why did Quintana chose to start so early???

Is he betting on some rain?

when team science used sophisticated scientific weather predicting software Brailsford invented to accurately predict the weather and get wiggo massive marginal gains by having him start before the rain engulfed all his rivals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7869498/Tour-de-France-2010-Team-Sky-opt-for-early-start-as-they-chase-prologue-win.html

And the result.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7870453/Tour-de-France-2010-prologue-Fabian-Cancellara-wins-time-trial-in-Rotterdam.html

a tentative ride in admittedly the worst of the conditions by Bradley Wiggins

Yep, Brailsford such a genius. The only times we can actually verify how much the marginal gains work they end up costing sky bucketloads of time :cool:

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

MarkvW said:
sniper said:

Hopefully, the lack of a UCI response demonstrates (once and for all) just how corrupt and filthy the "sport" of professional cycling is.

The blogger and the legal he used have made an interpretation error, I have quoted the full rule below mainly because I think he should also have mentioned the comparison to the Tour de France organisers.

Firstly, FWIW I think the lawyer has taken an incorrect interpretation. The rule applies to the license holder (the organisation "subject to the UCI regulations") "directly or indirectly" placing a bet, directly is quite obvious, indirect would be say the manager of Tour Racing Limited's wife or brother placing a bet on a race where is riders were involved for him.

It's a stretch to say "indirectly" is a shareholder of the organisation to the UCI regulations may also not have shareholdings in a company involved in gambling or any other permutation, I dont think that's the intent of the rule.

Secondly, Why did he crop the rule? Why did he not mention the Tour de France organisers are directly involved in gambling receiving a percentage share of the revenue? That example is better than the Unibet example.

"1.2.030 Anyone subject to the UCI regulations may not be involved directly or indirectly in the
organisation of bets on cycling competitions, under penalty of a suspension of between
8 days and one year and/or a fine of CHF 2,000 to 200,000.

In addition, if an organiser is involved, any competition organized by him may be
excluded from the calendar for one year.
(text modified on 1.01.00; 1.01.05)."

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you think the team will be go will go full alien and win like.. 10 stages? Or will they let the other riders get some non-sprinting stage wins because they don't want to look too suspicious?

In 2013, Froome was clearly slowing down in the final TT and bluffing in the last couple of mountain stages.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
I think its a stretch to say that Froome can be the most explosive rider in the world at long mountains, and the most explosive person in the world on medium mountains and**the most explosive person in the world on short mountains, but that he would be nowhere on hill explosivity, when every other rider who has good acceleration at the end of mountains can manage it on hills as well.

Well... looks like he can be.

SeriousSam said:
The Hitch said:
I think its a stretch to say that Froome can be the most explosive rider in the world at long mountains, and the most explosive person in the world on medium mountains and**the most explosive person in the world on short mountains, but that he would be nowhere on hill explosivity, when every other rider who has good acceleration at the end of mountains can manage it on hills as well.

He wasn't explosive if he didn't attack.

SeriousSam said:
The Hitch said:

Did you misread my post?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't think so. You were basically right about Froome's hill potential but it seems like what even you thought is a stretch might actually be true. ie I certainly didn't expect Froome to be that good.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Don't think so. You were basically right about Froome's hill potential but it seems like what even you thought is a stretch might actually be true. ie I certainly didn't expect Froome to be that good.
Nah. Its a long sentence so maybe a bit confusing but what I was trying to say is that it is a stretch to believe that Froome can be the best on mountains, but that he would be nowhere on hill explosivity. ie, if Froome is that good at mountains he will also be very good on hills because all other climbers also showed form on hills.
The whole discussion I was arguing that Froome could challenge and win hill classics if he wanted to.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
without tv these days.
could anybody point me to a decent video summary of this stage?
i'd be much obliged.
(CN had video summaries of the Giro stages, but not of the TdF it seems...)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
2014 dauphine we saw froome being massive in the early stages, while contador and others were slower starters but gained on him later.
This is not the dauphine, but the point is Froome seems to have only one modus: full gass (unless brailsford tells him to take it easy).
I think the top four is still undecided.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
what about some odds on Froome elbowing someone to death??

he looked pretty angry and aggressive out there in the final kms of the stage.....taking that attitude into tomorrows stage might bode well for him??

Night Rider said:
MarkvW said:
sniper said:

Hopefully, the lack of a UCI response demonstrates (once and for all) just how corrupt and filthy the "sport" of professional cycling is.

The blogger and the legal he used have made an interpretation error, I have quoted the full rule below mainly because I think he should also have mentioned the comparison to the Tour de France organisers.

Firstly, FWIW I think the lawyer has taken an incorrect interpretation. The rule applies to the license holder (the organisation "subject to the UCI regulations") "directly or indirectly" placing a bet, directly is quite obvious, indirect would be say the manager of Tour Racing Limited's wife or brother placing a bet on a race where is riders were involved for him.

It's a stretch to say "indirectly" is a shareholder of the organisation to the UCI regulations may also not have shareholdings in a company involved in gambling or any other permutation, I dont think that's the intent of the rule.

Secondly, Why did he crop the rule? Why did he not mention the Tour de France organisers are directly involved in gambling receiving a percentage share of the revenue? That example is better than the Unibet example.

"1.2.030 Anyone subject to the UCI regulations may not be involved directly or indirectly in the
organisation of bets on cycling competitions, under penalty of a suspension of between

In addition, if an organiser is involved, any competition organized by him may be

If they were directly sponsored or owned by SkyBet then I think it would be more comparable to the UniBet situation.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
Night Rider said:
MarkvW said:
sniper said:

If they were directly sponsored or owned by SkyBet then I think it would be more comparable to the UniBet situation.

SkyBet is 20% owned by Sky. Skybet was 100% owned in 2009/10 by Sky so they according to UCI rules should not have been given a licence.

Benotti69 said:
SkyBet is 20% owned by Sky. Skybet was 100% owned in 2009/10 by Sky so they according to UCI rules should not have been given a licence.

But they arent the licence holder. The licence holder is Tour Racing that is 85% owned by Sky plc. SkyBet was / is owned by Sky plc. SkyBet doesnt own or sponsor the team, therefore not (directly) comparable to UniBet. But valid point on the 'indirectly' bit - although the wording above is suitably wooly as in most sporting regulations so as to be flexible.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
May 19, 2015
Visit site
Question: Is News Corp. the largest financial sponsor cycling ever had? Larger than the US Postal?

It could explain Sky's rise to power, influence, victories and achievements.