• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1482 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
kingjr said:
Irondan said:
kingjr said:
Klitschko a chess GM? You sure about that? ...
was also one of the commanders in charge of cleaning up the effects of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 and was afterward diagnosed with cancer.
I think that was his father.
Right, I edited my comment to reflect that.
But it would have been an impressive feat at 10 years of age :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
maybe later I'll have time to weed through the numerous strawmen in that post and reply to the one or two fair points you're making.
Don't worry about it dude Brah. That giant Green chip or whatever will eventually fall into a Jiffy bag.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

pastronef said:
we are reaching high levels :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Speedking1103/status/811672562241601536

Dan Stevens
‏@Speedking1103
Rumours are @lancearmstrong and @JohanBruyneel were busted simply to put @BrianCooksonUCI in charge of UCI to protect Sky...

True or False?

Not a chance. McQuaid was onboard the Sky ship from day 1. He boasted of the end of tour party Sky were going to have in Paris half way through the 2012 race.

But others are now coming forward Ken Matheson being one a waving his gagging clause...

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Rob27172 said:
Sniper I have one major issue with what you write here and it is the HUGE green envious chip you have sitting on your shoulder.

"for me, the thought of - with all due respect - really dumb people like Messi and Ronaldo making so much money that the next 10 or 15 generations of their offspring will never have to work a single minute is unbearable.
Guys like Sutton and Wiggins same story of course.
Not that I don't wish them good fortune, but we're talking about really dumb people here who otherwise would be happy to stack shelves in tesco, people also who do absolutely nothing useful with their immense wealth except driving expensive cars, buying small islands and 'growing' their fortune by evading tax and creating fake charities.

For me, pro-sport as it is contributes absolutely nothing useful to the world, except turning it into a place where cheating is the norm"

Firstly - and lets get this straight from the start. There has been cheating in every sport PRO and Amateur since time began. There was evidence of cheating at the very first olympiad.
Amateurs cheat as so do Pro's
People cheat in their professional careers even when it is not a sporting career. So making cheating the norm is not only for sports people.
Also just because someone plays sport doesn't make them dumb. YOu would be surprised at the number of people who are probably quite a bit smarter than you who play sport. And suprisingly the number of footballers with more than one degree would surprise you. For instance the Vladimir Klitschko (professional boxers - who dumb must boxers be spend their days getting their heads bashed) well Vladmimir has a number of degrees is a grand master at chess. The list of professional Rugby players who are pretty smart is also rather long. as I am sure it is in other sports as well.

Secondly the usefulness of sport is that is creates an atmosphere of belonging within the community and replaces the tribalism that was lost when we all became faceless cogs in the industrial wheel. It gives people the opportunity to enjoy success which they may not have in their own lives and allows them to feel free of their cares and worries for a brief respite during the game or in the afterglow of a win.

It also allows for these "dumb" people to be able to lift themselves out of the poverty and crime and lives cut short through violence and despair. These "dumb" people are human beings who have a skill, like it or not, some people have mental agility and acumen, others have physical prowess. For you to determine that a "dumb" young argentinian kid who could kick a ball harder than his peers at 11 years old has no right to go on and make money using that skill and to become one of the richest footballers in the world. Is both hateful and shows your own true inner envy of people who are successful. Maybe you should take some time and go talk to the youth coaches at any football club, boxing club, rugby club, or swimming club and see how many of these young kids living in dire situations dream of emulating the people who lifted themselves out of poverty and became a hero to millions.

Lastly and possibly the most ridiculous part of your post - Pro sport does nothing for this world.
As for your quoted Messi and Ronaldo, When was the last time you set up a charitable foundation and put 1/3 of your 110 million dollars per year into it.? When was the last time you gave $500,000 to a hospital in your home town? when was the last time you traveled the world at you r own expense for unicef to help children and raise awareness. Take a look at the charitable donations of tiger woods, Elli Manning, Dikembe Mutombo, Derek Jeter, Andre Agassi, Haile Gabrselassie in Ethiopia and all he does, David Beckham has not set up numerous academies in east london to help underprivileged children then I take it or thousands of other footballers across the uk and the world. The Top NFL players all have charitable foundations and all do good in their communities mainly because these "Dumb" poorly spoken guys came from the street gangs and watched many of their friends die from drugs and guns. So do many of the NBA and the NHL players. There are hundreds of millions of pounds put back into the world every year by professional sports people to help communities and help children and others to make their lives better.

So next time that green chimp on your shoulder starts whining about the "dumb" people who have fast cars and things you may not have I suggest to take a long hard look in the mirror before you start generalising and despising thousands of people because of your own misguided and uninformed prejudices.

Wow, dude that is just sad. Professional sport doesn't make cheating the norm but it does enable "dumb" individuals to make a lot of money and squander it. Where does it say a person that can kick a ball or hit one with a stick should make more money than a neurosurgeon? Degrees, if someone has the time and money degrees are abundant. Doesn't mean smart.

Does anyone know if Cope ' s flight was(a) commercial or charter, and if commercial (b) how soon before the flight the ticket was bought? If the ticket was bought well ahead of time, then the visit was premeditated, indicating that it wasn't just a last minute Christmas eve booze run. There should be a paper trail for the flight, so if any lords or journalists want to ask questions, it could be a good topic.

Hey, what fits in a jiffy bag and weighs as much as pedals? International non refrigerated blood bag. Would fit with a charter flight, Ala lance.

I'm thinking: the best PR move from here is a brand/name change.

It's a bit like when an airliner crashes, no consumer wants to fly with them, they start losing market-share very quickly, and so they re-structure/re-brand/ change the paint job etc. So they're the same thing in a new form.

Happens a lot in cycling, due to sponsors changing.

In this case, I reckon this plan is definitely on the table right now. Sky 1.0 just can't expel this bad smell around them - it's now been around long enough that it's part of their character. I reckon Brailsford will be moved on and Sky 2.0 will begin....a new clean era.....

Re:

The Hegelian said:

It's a bit like when an airliner crashes, no consumer wants to fly with them, they start losing market-share very quickly, and so they re-structure/re-brand/ change the paint job etc. So they're the same thing in a new form.

In this case, I reckon this plan is definitely on the table right now. Sky 1.0 just can't expel this bad smell around them - it's now been around long enough that it's part of their character. I reckon Brailsford will be moved on and Sky 2.0 will begin....a new clean era.....

they will be called 21st Century Fox? or just Fox?

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-agrees-to-takeover-by-21st-century-fox-10696997

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

pastronef said:
The Hegelian said:

They will be called:

The Fox guarding the hen house

pastronef said:
The Hegelian said:

A clean new era and stop winning? Would Sky want that?

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Craigee said:
pastronef said:
The Hegelian said:

A clean new era and stop winning? Would Sky want that?

How DB would put it:

Well that's a good question and something we have considered and taken on board in our desire (if you can call it that) to be a clean team *cue silly hand gestures and making out he is grabbing the air*

We have always been invested in doing it the right way er as opposed to the wrong way *more silly hand gestures*

And coming from a point there *hand gesture holding a lemon to his right* to a point here *hand gesture holding a lemon to his left*

What is clean? Well some people would say clean *mimicks scrubbing himself with a brush* is bread and water but in doing things the right way, we consider clean to be any chemical substance you can get your hands on which doesn't contravene the regulations.

Interviewer: But that's not really clean is it, you must surely understand that.

Its regrettable that people might think that *more silly hand gestures* but that's my definition of clean, my literal definition of clean.....................we will be judged by time, and I think its wrong of people to draw that conclusion before due process has been followed.

*I could have put in more silly hand gestures after each word to be factually accurate but my post would have gone into 64,000 words

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

veganrob said:
Not sure if tramadol is still needed if you're all motored up!

Varjas now more explicitly questioning UCI's refusal to test Team Sky bikes at the TdF, despite being warned and despite the French police insisting:
http://www.ciclo21.com/bruyneel-lemond-era-un-gilipollas/

True to their mission statement, this is finally all becoming pretty transparent from UCI and Sky.

I do wonder what kind of technology Sky are using.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sky-join-forces-with-formula-ones-mclaren/
:rolleyes:

sniper said:
veganrob said:
Not sure if tramadol is still needed if you're all motored up!

Varjas now more explicitly questioning UCI's refusal to test Team Sky bikes at the TdF, despite being warned and despite the French police insisting:
http://www.ciclo21.com/bruyneel-lemond-era-un-gilipollas/

True to their mission statement, this is finally all becoming pretty transparent from UCI and Sky.

I do wonder what kind of technology Sky are using.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sky-join-forces-with-formula-ones-mclaren/
:rolleyes:
Yeah, well it is good to see Sky doing something to help their riders withmotors rather than giving them drugs that could cause health problems later in life.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Will be interesting now the Murdoch empire is starting to lose money if they still continue to fund minority sports as much as the big boys.
Could the funding be about to dry up for team skyhigh

Re:

Rob27172 said:
Will be interesting now the Murdoch empire is starting to lose money if they still continue to fund minority sports as much as the big boys.
what Sky Tv pays on advertising, team Sky budget is a drop in the ocean for them.
Sky has said that the advertising value they get back coverage given by the team is worth over £500million.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

rick james said:
Rob27172 said:
what Sky Tv pays on advertising, team Sky budget is a drop in the ocean for them.
Sky has said that the advertising value they get back coverage given by the team is worth over £500million.

The Rich dont throw money away. If Sky/Murdochs think it is not worth the 20Million (or whatever) they put into it they wont.

If motors are proven, then the sport is officially defunct. It is not far away.....the general public has long associated the sport of cycling with doping. That millions watch in July has only been the concern for Sky and that has been proven by their allegiance to ASO and TdF.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, searching around I didn't see anything really specific to this.

I look at the riders of today, and Team Sky in particular and they're characterized by unnaturally thin physiques (at least the climbers/GC types) and these stories of rapid, dramatic weight loss without a loss of power. I know most on here will point to new generation methods like AICAR as an explanation and there's certainly evidence it has been utilized especially when it first came out.

But with all that's come out in light of the Wiggins TUE affair, I can't help but wonder if teams (or riders) aren't just using good old fashioned corticoids outside of competition to achieve the same end. Most teams spend large blocks of time away from competition on team training camps. Drugs like the now infamous Kenacort are completely legal outside competition (although totally unethical for this intended use).

So my question to you all is, is it possible these guys are disappearing off to these 2-3 week camps and going on a course of cortisone to shed the weight, before returning to competition? I'm not sure on how long it lasts in the system but it seems like no TUE would even be necessary depending on the timing. Look at Froome, you would think he would have a TUE history a mile long, but as revealed by Fancy Bears he's hardly had any his whole career.

If you look at it through this lens it backs up Sky's whole "right up to the limit of what is legal" mantra and also explains more and more teams opting out of the MPCC with its stricter rules on cortisol levels.

Again not sure how long the stuff is detectable by testing in-competition, so I could be completely off base here. I know it's kind of conspiracy-theory prone but I just can't help shake the idea when I look at some of these guys and how much physiques have changed in recent years.

Tick tock:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/michael-barry-and-team-skys-unethical-use-of-legal-medication/

I still can't get my head around Tramadol use though. I've seen what that drug does to people (used in a controlled way) and I've no idea how anyone could function properly, let alone ride a bike after taking it. WTF were the doctors giving them and how? Cos it certainly WAS NOT the full strength pills you get after a major operation say.

TRENDING THREADS