• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1529 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
looks like his motor / battery malfunctioned. Although Landa is getting it in the neck for attacking his leader.
That doesn't make sense at all. Landa saw Froomey cracking badly at the end and sprinted in attempt to take away the time bonus that Aru was shooting for. If Aru didn’t get the 3rd place time bonus, he'd only be ahead by 2 secs instead of 6 over Froome...and every second may count in this year's addition.

Re:

58teeth said:
To be honest, this sounds legit. They threw Sagan out and everybody wanted to boycott the tour because the true showman was gone. Part of me totally thinks this was planned, and we'll see a resurrection soon enough next week

A few seconds lost is peanuts for Froome. He's just doing a bit of sandbagging because he knows he can drop anyone, or any team, on a flat/downhill/uphill/sprint at any given moment. Today was great for TV.

Re:

Singer01 said:
I can't tell if people are joking or not. Do some of you genuinely beleive that CF is losing time to avoid criticism and due to a conspiracy to make the race interesting or are you being facetious?

Have a look at the political world today, and you'll have your answer.

i.e. conspiracy theory thinking is no longer on the fringes; it's shaping our reality. Trump's campaign was built on it. People really believe.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Newsflash: the world is not black and white. It's not conspiracy vs. no conspiracy.

UCI can only do so much of course. They cannot force riders to deliberately pedal slower.
They can make an impact, though, for instance, by controlling bike-swaps (as they seemed to do in 2013 on the Alpe Dhuez wrt Contador: viewtopic.php?p=2134478#p2134478).
And imo it's perfectly fathomable that certain pre-race (and/or pre-stage) agreements are made in terms of who gets to use a motor and who doesn't.
But that's not to say that it will always play out the way UCI/ASO want.
There will always be surprise results. They cannot control all variables and all individuals.
Whether yesterday's result was 'planned' (for instance in that they deliberately didn't let Froome recharge) or rather a surprise result, we can only speculate.
It's foolish to ignore the possibility, imo.

I'm not at all sure about yesterday, but on the whole I think it's hard to imagine that Sky/UCI/ASO would be happy with another dull display where Froome gets the yellow jersey early and stays in it until Paris.
So I think they're mostly pleased about yesterday's outcome. Even Froome and Sky should be happy, because it will take some heat off of them.
That's no evidence that it was all planned. But it's a possibility that they gave Froome a few batteries less, yesterday.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
Singer01 said:
I can't tell if people are joking or not. Do some of you genuinely beleive that CF is losing time to avoid criticism and due to a conspiracy to make the race interesting or are you being facetious?

i.e. conspiracy theory thinking is no longer on the fringes; it's shaping our reality. Trump's campaign was built on it. People really believe.

Well a lot do, but a lot now have no idea what is true anymore.
A propagandists dream.

The Hegelian said:
Singer01 said:

The thing is, Froome and Sky have been so ridiculous from the beginning, it wouldn't make sense to me that they would suddenly start trying to look more realistic to avoid criticism.

6 years, they seem to have been doing everything in their power to make Froome and the team look as dodgy as humanly possible. and in 2017 they suddenly decide "oops, lets cut it back"? and still they have 4 of the strongest riders in the race and Froome seems on his way to a 4th tdf (when in 2012 they said you know wiggo is clean cos he only won once)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Fair point Hitch.

But as you say, it's 2017, and it was going to be Froome's fourth year in yellow from start to finish.
Not the first, second or third.
Every extra dull year with Froome in yellow from start to finish will make the TdF exponentially less bearable for viewers and sponsors.

Also bear in mind that 2017 is the year post-FancyBears, post-DCMS committee, and post-CBS 60 Minutes documentary, all three of which have considerably increased the heat on Team Sky (and by extension on UCI).
So one could argue they have some added motivation this year to look less ridiculous.
Froome's breakdown also comes remarkably short after Seppelt/ARD dropped that nice little documentary last weekend.

But granted, yesterday may not be the best example to make a case for a 'deliberate dialling back' hypothesis.
Froome cracked. I do think it was a battery problem, but obviously the idea that is was intentional is speculation.

Sad fact is we don't really know what we are watching. A bike race it certainly isn't.
Nevertheless, some interesting days ahead.

Re:

sniper said:
Newsflash: the world is not black and white. It's not conspiracy vs. no conspiracy.

UCI can only do so much of course. They cannot force riders to deliberately pedal slower.
They can make an impact, though, for instance, by controlling bike-swaps (as they seemed to do in 2013 on the Alpe Dhuez wrt Contador: viewtopic.php?p=2134478#p2134478).
And imo it's perfectly fathomable that certain pre-race (and/or pre-stage) agreements are made in terms of who gets to use a motor and who doesn't.
But that's not to say that it will always play out the way UCI/ASO want.
There will always be surprise results. They cannot control all variables and all individuals.
Whether yesterday's result was 'planned' (for instance in that they deliberately didn't let Froome recharge) or rather a surprise result, we can only speculate.
It's foolish to ignore the possibility, imo.

I'm not at all sure about yesterday, but on the whole I think it's hard to imagine that Sky/UCI/ASO would be happy with another dull display where Froome gets the yellow jersey early and stays in it until Paris.
So I think they're mostly pleased about yesterday's outcome. Even Froome and Sky should be happy, because it will take some heat off of them.
That's no evidence that it was all planned. But it's a possibility that they gave Froome a few batteries less, yesterday.
Who's "they?" The UCI I presume? And what about Bardet & Aru yesterday - did they have fully charged batteries or was it possibly human effort when they attacked up the finish? And what will happen today on the three major climbs? If Froome attacks on the last climb - motor on? If he appears to struggle and can't respond to any attacks - motor not functioning or not allowed for this stage?

I read your narratives everyday and try to follow them applying your thesis as I watch the Tour. The problem is it's too perplexing to figure out, that "if" motors are being routinely used, then who's using a motor or not, or whose motor is functional or not when attacks occur or riders get unhitched on the climbs. For example, yesterday when little Nairo got dropped on the climb, I tried to decide based on your theory if whether his motor was not functional or he wasn't using one...or my thinking that Nairo is still toast from the Giro and consequently having a bad Tour...who could have imagined.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Nomad said:
Whose "they?" The UCI I presume? And what about Bardet & Aru yesterday - did they have fully charged batteries or was it possibly human effort when they attacked up the finish?
And what will happen today on the three major climbs? If Froome attacks on the last climb - motor on? If he appear to struggle on and can't respond to any attacks - motor not functioning or not allowed for this stage.

I read your narratives everyday and try to follow them applying your thesis as I watch the Tour. The problem is it's too perplexing to figure out, that "if" motors are being used, then who's using a motor or not, or whose motor is functional or not when attacks occur or riders get unhitched on the climbs. For example, yesterday when Little Nairo got dropped on the climb, I tried to decide based on your theory if whether his motor was not functional or he wasn't using one...or my thinking that Nairo is still toast from the Giro and consequently having a bad Tour...who could have imagined.
Cheers Nomad. Good to know you're at least pondering on these things. A high degree of scepticism is essential if we want anything to change, and it's quite alright if we end up disagreeing on certain issues as long as we keep an open mind.

First off, we seem to be in total agreement that at present there are much more questions than answers.

Bardet and Aru are both motorized in my view, but clearly there is still human effort involved.
Current procycling is a game of talent, PEDs, and motors. All three of them.
Which of those three factors has most weight, that will be different from one rider to another.

I am quite confident the UCI, teams, and bike brands are all involved in motordoping, but I honestly have no idea how they are keeping it all in check. I think they're trying to control it as much as possible, but obviously they can't control everything or everyone.
I don't doubt there is a lot of cash flowing behind the scenes, related to match fixing and motors. But I'm not pretending to know how exactly, or from which hands to which hands.

Quintana is an intriguing one. I have no idea, to be honest, why he's so bad atm.
Could be motor related, could be dope related, could be pure exhaustion, could be anything.
Do I generally think he uses motors? Yes I do.
Movistar are among the most motor-dodgy teams around (working with Simon Smart; the "hide it" incident; Valverde's performances). But at the same time I've never really seen any Quintana performance that screams MOTOR, except maybe his improvement in TTs.

Having said that, I think many are riding around with motordoping without it being very obvious.
Sastre 2008 TdF springs to mind. He is rumored by insiders to have been motorized that year.
But did you see anything out of the oridnary in his performance? He was so unspectacular in that year, that even here in the Clinic some have touted him as a clean winner.

Not so long ago I was in here myself defending Lance Armstrong against motor accusations.
I was adamant he couldn't have used a motor. After all, I had never seen him accellerate like Froome (in saddle, with superhigh cadence, superfast accelleration).
But since then I've come to realize that it was a mistake to use Froome (or Cancellara) as a yard stick to determine motor use. The vast majority of motorized performances will be much less obvious.

As some have suggested, it stands to reason that many riders only use motors on the flat parts of a stage, just to give their legs a break. So for some riders, flat stages in the TdF are simply extra rest days. And so we, as viewers, don't get to see anything suspicious in those cases.

I remember Dan Martin last year saying he's never been so fresh in week three as he was now in 2016.
Whether that was because of an extra blood bag or because of clever use of motors (or both), is anybody's guess.

Ventoux 2013, Froome made Contador look like a rooky. Yet Contador is himself very suspicious for motors. Goes to show that it is not a binary "motor vs. no motor" affair. It's much more complicated.

Can we take the thread back to reality?

If Thomas hadn't crashed out, Sky would have three very plausible ways to win the tdf. And could potentially win + take the two podium spots. And without Froome's little blip, hold the jersey from start to finish. All of this is unprecedented.

So: a bit more rage about what's happening in reality. And a bit less inference piled on inference grounded in pure speculation.

Re:

The Hegelian said:

If Thomas hadn't crashed out, Sky would have three very plausible ways to win the tdf. And could potentially win + take the two podium spots. And without Froome's little blip, hold the jersey from start to finish. All of this is unprecedented.

So: a bit more rage about what's happening in reality. And a bit less inference piled on inference grounded in pure speculation.

Froome easily back in yellow today after Stage 14, so it seems the sandbagging is over. Landa is relaxing back in 5th position 74 seconds back. A Froome win looks like a done deal. The only remaining suspense seems to be whether SDB will OK a Landa move up into 2nd in week 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we see for the final podium: (1) Froome, (2) Landa, (3) Uran or Bardet.

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Re:

The Hegelian said:

Actually none of this is unprecedented - the Jersey has been held start to finish by the same team a number of times, most recently by Merckx's Faemino–Faema team in 1970. And for a truly dominant team take a look at Peugeot. There is nothing new in cycling and it's a fair bet that anything Sky claim to have done for the first time will have been done before - including every single 'marginal gain'.

MmeDesgrange said:
The Hegelian said:

Actually none of this is unprecedented - the Jersey has been held start to finish by the same team a number of times, most recently by Merckx's Faemino–Faema team in 1970. And for a truly dominant team take a look at Peugeot. There is nothing new in cycling and it's a fair bet that anything Sky claim to have done for the first time will have been done before - including every single 'marginal gain'.

Peugeot: won 10 Tours de France in something like 60 years. Were they ever - in all that time - in a position to put three on the podium??

Sky: won 4 in less than a decade, probably soon to be 5.

In recent times, Banesto only ever had one genuine contender. US Postal could have plausibly gone for three on the podium at various points........but if you need to lean on US Postal to make your point, then I'm afraid your point is well and truly lost.

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site

The Hegelian said:
MmeDesgrange said:
The Hegelian said:

Peugeot: won 10 Tours de France in something like 60 years. Were they ever - in all that time - in a position to put three on the podium??

Sky: won 4 in less than a decade, probably soon to be 5.

In recent times, Banesto only ever had one genuine contender. US Postal could have plausibly gone for three on the podium at various points........but if you need to lean on US Postal to make your point, then I'm afraid your point is well and truly lost.

Let's see: Peugeot riders won every Your between 1905-1908 while also winning every Classic in sight. And I won't need to tell such a student of the sport as yourself about the primitive roads and equipment. length of stages etc etc. As to your question 'were they ever - on all that time - in a position to put three on the podium??' Let me settle your disbelief that any team bar the mighty Sky might ever threaten this feat.

Let's take the 1908 Tour - there were 7 Peugeot riders in the top 10, with Peugeot riders filling the top 4 places on GC. In addition Peugeot riders won 12 of the 14 stages - the shortest of which was 251 km - and the 2 riders who won the other stages were riding for the Griffon-Peugeot team. Peugeot also took the top 4 on GC in 1906 and had the top 5 on GC in 1907, a feat the Alcyon team replicated in 1909.

I hope that answers the questions, and perhaps puts in perspective just how ordinary Team Sky are in the very much bigger scheme of things?