• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
Moviestar said:
Landa will be given the no.1 number in stead of Quintana in Pais Vasco, curious to see how they will work together.

They don't like each other, so it will indeed be interesting to see.

I get the impression however that Quintana is not very liked inside the peloton. I've only ever seen negative reactions on him by other riders.

Nibali even flat out stated it lol:

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/International/no-love-lost-with-quintana-says-nibali-20170510

Dumoulin (although this was a rather childish remark by him, for which he later apologized):

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-hope-nibali-quintana-lose-podium-spot-focus-332705

Not surprising. Riders who have left Movistar recently have said they've had enough of Quintana. After the 2016 Vuelta Contador said he'd never work with a Quintana led team again. If you remember the 2016 Tour. Valverde had some interesting comments after a couple of stages, including that Quintana still had no clue how to read a race and that he was done trying to help him learn. He also won't road captain for Quintana.
what did they say? (visconti doesn't count)

I Izagirre said he's never race for Quintana again. He was asked something about having to race for Nibali, and he said I'm sure Nibali will be fine to race for, just like Alejandro is great to race. Ventosa made a comment about not wanting to deal with Quintana anymore.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Koronin said:
portugal11 said:
Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
Moviestar said:
Landa will be given the no.1 number in stead of Quintana in Pais Vasco, curious to see how they will work together.

I get the impression however that Quintana is not very liked inside the peloton. I've only ever seen negative reactions on him by other riders.

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/International/no-love-lost-with-quintana-says-nibali-20170510

Dumoulin (although this was a rather childish remark by him, for which he later apologized):

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-hope-nibali-quintana-lose-podium-spot-focus-332705

Not surprising. Riders who have left Movistar recently have said they've had enough of Quintana. After the 2016 Vuelta Contador said he'd never work with a Quintana led team again. If you remember the 2016 Tour. Valverde had some interesting comments after a couple of stages, including that Quintana still had no clue how to read a race and that he was done trying to help him learn. He also won't road captain for Quintana.

I Izagirre said he's never race for Quintana again. He was asked something about having to race for Nibali, and he said I'm sure Nibali will be fine to race for, just like Alejandro is great to race. Ventosa made a comment about not wanting to deal with Quintana anymore.
that is strange... one of the few things I respect in movistar is the friendship and loyalty inside the team. they really seem to have a good relationship between them when they are racing.

portugal11 said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:
El Pistolero said:
Moviestar said:

that is strange... one of the few things I respect in movistar is the friendship and loyalty inside the team. they really seem to have a good relationship between them when they are racing.[/quote]

It appears they do with the exception of Quintana. There has been very high turnover with the team over the last 3 years which is extremely unusual and it all appears to directly link to Quintana. Esp when you consider the team typically has very low turnover of riders because they are a family. Also the fact that so many former teammates of Alejandro's very much like and respect him.

Is it just that Quintana is not very social? Or do they all get annoyed he is not able to read a race and does not have any leadership qualities?
Regarding the Dumoulin quotes on Nibali and Quintana, he not only took them back because he said them in the heat of the moment, he has many times (afterwards as well) spoke about his admiration for Nibali.

Re:

Bardamu said:
Is it just that Quintana is not very social? Or do they all get annoyed he is not able to read a race and does not have any leadership qualities?
Regarding the Dumoulin quotes on Nibali and Quintana, he not only took them back because he said them in the heat of the moment, he has many times (afterwards as well) spoke about his admiration for Nibali.

Don't know, but I were to guess it sounds more like his inability to read races and lack of leadership qualities are a bigger issues than being anti-social.

Koronin,
can you please provide the links where all Movistar hates Quintana? past and present. Thanks.

I know about Visconti. No need to send that one. Especially that one where Valverde is done coaching with Quintana. From all people he has had best results at the Tour while riding with Quintana.

Don't read races very well? do you want him to win more races or this is just about the Tour the France?

Listen, we know he has a big mouth, we need to be a bit more objective than this!

Valverde says Quintana is the leader of the Tour de France and Landa second and Bala third. I think this is the wrong decision. If they don`t agree they should split up and make some of them do the giro and/or vuelta. I think Landa deserves to be the sole leader at the Tour. Quintana has tried several times and failed. Landa could win giro and vuelta why make him be domestique ?

Serpentin said:
Valverde says Quintana is the leader of the Tour de France and Landa second and Bala third. I think this is the wrong decision. If they don`t agree they should split up and make some of them do the giro and/or vuelta. I think Landa deserves to be the sole leader at the Tour. Quintana has tried several times and failed. Landa could win giro and vuelta why make him be domestique ?

The right decision is to have one leader which obviously would be Quintana. Landa doesn't deserve it but certainly disagrees with this and wants to be a joint leader, something that I'm sure he will pursue regardless of what Unzue thinks. Valverde is a reasonable guy but will exploit any weakness of the above two (like getting dropped hard on the cobbles while Bala might still be in a group up front). Tour de France shapes up to be a really fun ride for the three amigos.

Blanco said:
Escarabajo said:
Having two leaders is OK. Not big deal. Having three is a problem. Landa and Quintana as leaders is OK. Landa, Quintana and Valverde as leaders is a problem IMHO.

Valverde will not be a leader, unless those two screw up big time on that cobbled stage.
Correct. I forgot to mention that he will be team captain.

This lay out should not be a concern if it wasn't for the 8 men line up. We will see how it will play out.

Serpentin said:

I really doubt that where Quintana failed Landa will succeed. He hasn't even been sole leader of a team at a grand tour yet. He is deserving of that title at the Giro or Vuelta, provided Valverde isn't slighted as a result. Landa is a big ball of potential that has yet to prove itself when under the microscope of grand tour leadership and especially the Tour wouldn't be the race that I would choose when you have Quintana as the other option.

Movistar should just apply the QS-tactics in the Tour, they seem to do quite well with various protected riders at the moment. A lot will obviously depend on the nine first stages, especially the cobbled stage, but after that it should just be the legs that decides and Im still not ready to exclude Valverde from that equation.. especially not with Dumoulin and Froome riding the Giro.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Bardamu said:
Valverde knows he himself will probably will not win the Tour and tells Landa that if his legs are strong enough he will become the leader. Naming Quintana the leader beforehand does not really make a big difference.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me anymore if he did win based on his form last year and this year so far.

It's Cancellara-esque (from 2010 onwards).

And that's not necessarily a compliment.

Regardless they are going with 3 protected riders. Valverde will race the Tour the way he feels fit to race it as he always does. I still expect an all out war between Landa and Quintana, thus leaving Valverde to keep the rest of the team from imploding. I'm still under the impression that Valverde would really rather do the Giro/Vuelta double this year and not go to the Tour. Remember one more thing, Valverde rather he's riding for himself or for a team mate will NOT go into the red for any reason for anyone. He always rides within himself.

That was not his decision for sure. When asked about leadership and his role at the Tour he responded: "You have to ask Eusebio". That's the first time in his entire campaign with Unzue that he said something similar. My guess is there are two reasons why Unzue is sending all three. First, and more important one, he badly wants to win the Tour and he wants all "resources" available. The second reason is Nairo himself. I have a feeling their relationship is gotten worse after last year's Tour, and especially after comments of Quintana and his father. I think that if Quintana doesn't win the Tour this year, barring some bad luck, he's gonna leave Movistar very quickly. That's why Unzue gave him the chance to lead the team, but he exclusively wanted to select it and hence why Landa and Valverde are both in the team.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Koronin,
can you please provide the links where all Movistar hates Quintana? past and present. Thanks.

I know about Visconti. No need to send that one. Especially that one where Valverde is done coaching with Quintana. From all people he has had best results at the Tour while riding with Quintana.

Don't read races very well? do you want him to win more races or this is just about the Tour the France?

Listen, we know he has a big mouth, we need to be a bit more objective than this!

It was an interview after a stage in the 2016 Tour when he was pissed. He also said in that same interview that apparently Froome was the only person who actually wanted to win the Tour and that the only two riders who had any excuse for not chasing Froome when attacked on that downhill, aside from himself because he was off the back where the two riders with him, Bardet and I think it was a Cannondale rider.

Re:

Blanco said:
That was not his decision for sure. When asked about leadership and his role at the Tour he responded: "You have to ask Eusebio". That's the first time in his entire campaign with Unzue that he said something similar. My guess is there are two reasons why Unzue is sending all three. First, and more important one, he badly wants to win the Tour and he wants all "resources" available. The second reason is Nairo himself. I have a feeling their relationship is gotten worse after last year's Tour, and especially after comments of Quintana and his father. I think that if Quintana doesn't win the Tour this year, barring some bad luck, he's gonna leave Movistar very quickly. That's why Unzue gave him the chance to lead the team, but he exclusively wanted to select it and hence why Landa and Valverde are both in the team.

I think you're right. Quintana's comments this year haven't helped the situation either. What's going on right now seems to be having the effect that most of the riders inside the Movistar team are not happy with Quintana at all. Valverde doesn't seem very happy about the fact he's racing the Tour this year. Landa isn't going to work with Quintana. As far as Landa and the Tour and option B I don't think Valverde particularly cares one way or the other about that. I don't think he's happy about going to the Tour in the first place. I'm not entirely sure he's going to be as helpful to Quintana this year as he has been in the past. I think there's also the fact that last year when Valverde got hurt at the Tour, Unzue said the season is over. That comment right there more than anything else I think finally proved to Quintana that he will never to be the leader at Movistar and Movistar belongs to Valverde.

This has nothing to do with the ongoing everybody dislikes Quintana discussion, but just a neat little detail I just discovered.
The team currently known as 'Movistar' started out - as Reynolds - in 1980.
Valverde is from 25 April 1980.
Valverde and the team are basically the same age.