• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cance > TheRest said:
I agree with the point made, but I don't necessarily think Soler/Carapaz is a part of the problem. They are young riders, who have barely just had their breakthroughs and they've had fewer opportunities to ride for themselves this year than the big trio.
...and that's my main point, sorry if I didn't get clear enough, I blame the team. Unzue. He can't achieve synergy, have a plan in which all riders have a clear role. To some extend, I felt the same way about the Dutch team at the RRWC btw. Leadership, i.e. DS issue. Let chips fall out is not leading.

Tonton said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I agree with the point made, but I don't necessarily think Soler/Carapaz is a part of the problem. They are young riders, who have barely just had their breakthroughs and they've had fewer opportunities to ride for themselves this year than the big trio.
...and that's my main point, sorry if I didn't get clear enough, I blame the team. Unzue. He can't achieve synergy, have a plan in which all riders have a clear role. To some extend, I felt the same way about the Dutch team at the RRWC btw. Leadership, i.e. DS issue. Let chips fall out is not leading.

To extenuate that point, at the 2016 Tour I remember Valverde making the comment that he had no clue what his role was or what he was supposed to be doing in that race.

Also as of today we've had 2 of Movistar's DS's say that for next year at the moment the plan is to let Valverde write out his entire calendar (which he can change as he chooses) and that for them their goal for Valverde is that he races where he wants and how he wants to ensure he has the most fun possible while wearing the rainbow jersey. They both said something along the lines of it, next year is his year, we need to ensure he enjoys it as much as possible.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The team has been a total trainwreck this season, hope it gets better for the next one..

No kidding. There has been no support in so many races. They have got to get something figured out. This race showed a again how really disastrous the season has been for this team. Alejandro had a great year, but the rest of the team only had a few glimmers of being good such as Soler's win at Paris-Nice and his podium in Andalucia. Yet again the team shows how overly reliant they are on Valverde.

I like the Verona signing, I think he can evolve a bit more and be a very decent mountain domestique. He is also pretty tall, I guess he really is more of a climber oriented allrounder. I like him.

Roelandts and Mas are good fillers, I have liked Mas for a while. Nice domestiques and I guess they hope Roelandts can do a bit in the cobbles altho they probably dont really care that much.

Re:

Nirvana said:
If they want to have Landa as leader for the Giro and then work for Quintana at the Tour i doubt that will work, Landa is already making clear what will be his target.

https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2018/10/26/5bd2e403468aeb8a468b4684.html

The "funny" part of this whole thing is that both Landa and Quintana are better suited to the Giro. (Obviously Valverde is much better suited to la Vuelta). And none of the three are a great fit for the Tour. Yeah Landa is making it clear he's going after the Tour. While Valverde is making it clear again that he doesn't want to go to the Tour.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
This is what would make most sense to me (and what they are probably going to do, at least something quite similar to it):

Giro: Valv, Landa, Carapaz
Tour: Landa, Quintana and Soler
Vuelta: Valv, Quintana, Carapaz and Soler (?)

Landa wants to win the Tour, Quintana wants to win the same Tour. Somebody has to bring Landani back to earth and explain to him that Quintana is the sole leader for the Tour and that he is free to try and win either the Giro or Vuelta and if he wants he can help Nairo in France. I think that's the only way Movi have a chance, albeit slim, to win a GT next year. Valverde will most likely do the Giro/Vuelta double, show the rainbow jersey win some stages and have fun.

Well, this is the other impact of the abject lack of time trial mileage in the Tour - all the climbers think they can win, and when a team has two world class climbers, why shouldn't both think they can win? The problem is that Unzué and before him Echavarrí don't have the best record of making the most of GC hydraheads. The only times it's worked has been when they haven't really had a genuine leader, such as with Pereiro in 2006 and Arroyo in 2010. The rest of the time, they've had to rely on allocating separate leadership roles to the varying leaders and have lost some worthwhile leaders as a result, most notably Purito leaving because of being treated like Valverde's kid brother. They've been more effective when they've had multiple leaders in keeping them apart, such as Zülle and Jiménez in 1999 or Quintana and Valverde in 2014. The multiple leader strategy has only worked periodically, such as 2016 and realistically that was more because Valverde was on his 3rd straight GT and knew Quintana was the leading strategy there (plus, having finally podiumed the Tour, a long term goal of his, he was much more tranquillo about personal aims). Otherwise it ends up like Olano and Jiménez in the 1998 Vuelta and while I know they did win that race, it did come at the expense of team unity, losing the team's biggest star and several years in the doldrums being outshone by ONCE, Kelme and others within the domestic scene (yes, I know Chava was more popular, and I do as much lionizing of Jiménez as anybody on this board, but let's face it, Olano was a lot more reliable).

The thing is, at this point in time, Valverde is more selfless and more willing to give up leadership roles in the good of the team than either of the other leaders, but the team also simultaneously cannot afford to sideline him because he's a far more reliable results-getter plus he's wearing some colourful jersey or another that comes with a lot of attention and pride - nor will they want to because Unzué loves Valverde almost like a son. As a result they have to then divide and conquer the major stage racing targets between Landa and Quintana, but with both having similar strengths and weaknesses they both have a tendency to want to target the same ones, especially GTs as in the short stage races Valverde is still an equal if not greater threat. Does one show deference toward Quintana because he has the better results in his back pocket (2 x GT wins, 4x other GT podiums) or toward Landa because he has the better results more recently (KOM 2017 Giro, 4th 2017 Tour, 7th 2018 Tour)? It is complicated by the fact that Landa has until recently not been afforded the same freedom, being asked to show deference to Aru at Astana and to Froome at Sky (and Thomas too in that Giro, remember that they were claimed as co-leaders but when that crash happened the whole team went with Thomas and Landa was abandoned to his fate, even though Landa then went on to salvage that race while Thomas went home and sulked before returning to his customary role at the Tour), and is also slightly older than Quintana too, so perhaps feels he doesn't have the same amount of time left to make good on his abilities, and that Landa is also of course a bigger deal to the team's home audience, not just meaning Spain but meaning Navarre, since the team, while not overtly Basque per se, is based nearby and draws a lot of its youngsters out of the Basque-Navarrese scene as well as several of its most recognizable faces, not least Miguel Indurain and Abraham Olano.

The other question is what they do with the emerging talents? Soler and Carapaz would seem to be ready for some more significant roles, Soler perhaps as a free role or as a last-man-in-the-line, but his skillset would suggest he best suits the Tour out of the three GTs; Carapaz perhaps best suits the Giro because for some reason or another South Americans seem to go best there - however the way he performed with Lizarte in the Basque-Navarrese races suggests short and mid-length but steep climbs are a strong suit for him, so perhaps the Vuelta would go well - or maybe even they may want to consider him for classics like Milano-Torino and Il Lombardia. The team's already renewed Barbero but I'm not sure what role he's likely to play with Edu Prades coming on board, since Prades will surely be able to perform the same role but better.

The team has, at least, strengthened its rouleur corps which was where they were sorely found wanting in 2018; they lost a lot of strong flat and all-terrain engines like Rory Sutherland, Alex Dowsett, the Herrada brothers and most of all Jonathan Castroviejo. I was surprised they didn't move for Lluís Más last year, as I thought he'd be precisely the kind of rider they need and they do periodically raid Caja Rural, while Roelandts provides a wealth of experience and a guiding hand in the flats and of course in the wind, because he does go well when it's windy, as we learnt when he ascended beyond the mortal realm in Gent-Wevelgem.

The interesting question will be, what happens with Jaime Rosón. He's still only provisionally suspended to the best of my knowledge, so if he is able to come back into action in the 2019 season, will they reintegrate him, after all he's still young and was pretty good in the half-season leading up to his suspension, plus his offences dated back to before his time with Abarcá which former precedent with Rubén Plaza and Alejandro Valverde suggests should not provide any obstacle to his continued employment with them. Because if he can return at that level (which is a big question mark of course) then he'd perhaps need to be made allowances for even if he didn't get any freedom as a leader, a bit like when Rui Costa returned to the team in 2011 after his tainted supplements saga.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The Team needs strong leadership, Unzue needs to step up, maybe Valverde can also talk with both Naro and Landa.
If both still want to ride for the gc at the Tour:
- Valverde-Carapaz for Giro-Vuelta wth Carapaz being more of a domestique at the Vuelta with Betancur and other climbers at domestiques in the Giro
- Nairo and Landa as co-leader at he Tour, this year both had problems because of crashes and stil finished in the top 10
- Give the climbers who can TT as their domestiques, Soler, Amador and Oliveira + Roelandts, Benna and Sütterlin as roulers, a strong team for the TTT and maybe you can even replace Sütterlin with a climber who's more of a pure climber.
- Soler as the team leader in Paris-Nice, the Dauphine and other shorter stage races.
- Valverde to do watever he wants in the Vuelta and one of the Tour leaders or even Sler as the 2nd protected rider.

Soler is signed past 2019. Otherwise yes they need to either renew with Telefonica or get a new sponsor before they do much with other contracts. However, we can basically be assured Valverde will have a new contract either before or not long after a new title sponsor contract is signed.

It does seem that they are again going to the Tour with Quintana and Landa as co leaders. Although unlike last year it appears more likely they're giving Valverde his preference of Giro/Vuelta. Landa may go with him to the Giro, and I would expect them to send Carapaz to the Giro. With or without Landa going to the Giro, sending Carapaz with Valverde there would be a great opportunity for Carapaz to learn.

I would think Soler will get Paris-Nice again esp after winning it last year and likely the Duaphine. Either Landa or Quintana to T-A. Landa is likely to be the leader for Basque as it's his home race. Basically let Valverde write his own calendar. It's not like he doesn't basically do that as it is. Likely for stages races: Valencia, Andalucia, Catalonia. He has specifically mentioned Catalonia. He's also talked about a more classics heavy calendar this year. It seems Murcia, the Ardennes, la Vuelta and the Worlds are the main races he's said that he can't miss. I do think October is a bit early to make a full calendar.