• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I would keep landa and quintana to the tour at 100%. Froome cant be at 100% at the tour after the giro and it is this year the best chance to his
adversarys to win.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Landa should be the leader for the Giro, both racing shorter stage races shouldn't be a problem, but they should be allowed to be the leaders for their respective targets.

Here's the question. Do you send Landa and Valverde to the Giro, then Landa and Quintana to the Tour, then Valverde and Quintana to the Vuelta. Or do you send Landa alone (most likely with Amador as his biggest help) to the Giro, send all 3 to the Tour, then send Quintana and Valverde to the Vuelta. I think this is what Movistar has to decide and decide which combination will give them the best opportunity.
Personally if Valverde truly wants the Giro/Vuelta double I'd give that to him and hope that he and Landa together and tire Froome out enough for them to really take him on at the Tour.

Also remember they have 3 leaders and it already appears that Landa and Valverde are racing most likely 2 one week races together early in the season. Although it does seem that Landa and Valverde don't have the issues that Landa and Quintana have.

Interview of Landa, the interesting part is this where he said he want to ride Tour and Vuelta.
So more #FreeLanda to come if they force him to go to the Giro?

-¿Se puede hacer doblete Giro-Tour?

-Yo lo hice el año pasado y fue bien. La cuestión es que quiero llegar bien al Mundial y el mejor camino es por la Vuelta. Bueno, ya veremos si estoy en la lista del Mundial. No he hablado con Mínguez. Quiero correr el Tour, pero hay que ver qué es lo mejor para mí y para el equipo.

http://www.ciclo21.com/landa-espero-ayudar-que-el-equipo-me-arrope-y-me-ayude-a-crecer/

Re:

Nirvana said:
Interview of Landa, the interesting part is this where he said he want to ride Tour and Vuelta.

-Yo lo hice el año pasado y fue bien. La cuestión es que quiero llegar bien al Mundial y el mejor camino es por la Vuelta. Bueno, ya veremos si estoy en la lista del Mundial. No he hablado con Mínguez. Quiero correr el Tour, pero hay que ver qué es lo mejor para mí y para el equipo.

http://www.ciclo21.com/landa-espero-ayudar-que-el-equipo-me-arrope-y-me-ayude-a-crecer/
Focus on the worlds???
Does it finish on a MTT?
Otherwise his main targets should be either the Giro or the Tour or both.

Re:

Salvarani said:
Tbh...

(((((( Giro looks better on paper for both Quintana, Valverde and Landa than what the Tour does)))))

I understand Quintana wanting to win the Tour, because that is what missing, but that route doesnt suit him at all imo.

Bingo!

Sadly the sport keeps valuing Le Tour above them all, despite how overrated & boring has become in the last 6 years......

Re:

Nirvana said:

He does know that his now teammate Valverde will be the team leader for the Spanish national team at the Worlds. For the Spanish coach to take him he has to understand that at best he will be option B. Also the finish is a downhill with about a 2-3 K flat. It's tailormade for Valverde to finally get his rainbow jersey and gold medal. If Landa wants to go to the Worlds he must fully understand that little issue. It's very possible he can go to the Vuelta and the Spanish national coach still not take him.

Valv.Piti said:
Lets play a little game:

Giro d' Italia: Valverde/Landa[, Bennati, Rojas, Amador, Valls, Anacona, Fernandez and Parte
Tour de France: Valverde, Quintana, Landa, Soler, Oliveira, Bennati, Sutterlin/Erviti and Bananito

If Valverde goes to the Giro he's skipping the Tour. He wants that record number of podiums at la Vuelta.

Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lets play a little game:

Giro d' Italia: Valverde/Landa[, Bennati, Rojas, Amador, Valls, Anacona, Fernandez and Parte
Tour de France: Valverde, Quintana, Landa, Soler, Oliveira, Bennati, Sutterlin/Erviti and Bananito

If Valverde goes to the Giro he's skipping the Tour. He wants that record number of podiums at la Vuelta.
Yeah you are right. Theres also this little race called the Worlds which should suit him okay according to some

Re: Re:

hfer07 said:
Salvarani said:
Tbh...

(((((( Giro looks better on paper for both Quintana, Valverde and Landa than what the Tour does)))))

I understand Quintana wanting to win the Tour, because that is what missing, but that route doesnt suit him at all imo.

Bingo!

Sadly the sport keeps valuing Le Tour above them all, despite how overrated & boring has become in the last 6 years......
Not sadly. It's THE GT because the best GT rider always goes to the Tour. Others used to come and try to beat him, resulting in some epic editions. Now they scatter elsewhere like cockroaches. That's why I have more respect for Ulle than today's so-called contenders. Sky's line up in July is also part of the reason why you feel that way. For Movistar, I would line up all three in July and win the Tour. Instead of spreading over three GTs, being one mile wide and one inch thick, as it turned out in '17. They need to dream big, attack, between Valverde, Landa, and Quintana, one can beat Froome. Like having Fuente, Van Impe and Ocana in the same team...trouble for Eddy...that is if they buy in the team goal and put egos aside. That's Unzue's job.

Addendum: it doesn't matter which GT is "best suited". The first quote mentioned above. This is the very thought process, the calculations that makes Le Tour what it is: boring. Sky brings its A game. If all others did it, the competition would be tougher, Sky would be really tested and at least one rider would benefit and challenge Froome for real.

PS: '17 wasn't a challenge: time gaps were small but Uran and Bardet had zero chance. No team but Sky came in with their A game to begin with...

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lets play a little game:

Yeah you are right. Theres also this little race called the Worlds which should suit him okay according to some

Most definitely. That little race called the Worlds which he is still very much obsessed with. It looks very much like a course for the Ardennes and Lombardia guys. Here's Movistar's problem. How do they keep him to at or at least close to 80 race days before the Worlds. That would be very helpful for his chances.

Tonton said:
Addendum: it doesn't matter which GT is "best suited". The first quote mentioned above. This is the very thought process, the calculations that makes Le Tour what it is: boring. Sky brings its A game. If all others did it, the competition would be tougher, Sky would be really tested and at least one rider would benefit and challenge Froome for real.

PS: '17 wasn't a challenge: time gaps were small but Uran and Bardet had zero chance. No team but Sky came in with their A game to begin with...

Maybe it is that way because other teams are not built around just one rider and that is the only race they target or bring their "A-game" to.

Maybe other teams can learn from targeting certain races better in the approach and selection for certain races, but resources and infrastructure of the team play a big role. Thats why most teams dont put all their eggs in one basket maybe, even if having a good team and do well at the Tour goes without saying. They target all sorts of races throughout the season.

TRENDING THREADS