• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Thought some teams would avoid Suisse with its challenging route, even taking into account the extra week to the TDF, yet Movistar are taking their three leaders.
Its your normal Suisse/Dauphine route....? I don't really get the challenging part, they aren't even climbing the Rettenbach, thats challenging. Looks like a fine route by me, quite a bit varied classics terrains and mountains with a TTT and an ITT to polish the last bits.

I think you guys are misinterpreting what DNP said, I think Soler is just riding to get a little experience, not to get a result at all. Unzué said he thought it would be great if he could ride 7-8 pavé, so he obviously isn't the leader. Where he will be the leader is Dauphine apparently - imagine Avenir, P-N and Dauphine on your palmarés, that would be sweet.

Btw DNP, could you provide a link? Seems like a very interesting choice to send all the aces to Suisse!

Actually the Dauphine route for 210 seems a bit tougher than usual, and of course the 35km TTT will be appealing for some - Recent history shows that more of the TDF GC riders use the Dauphine, rather than Suisse as their final lead in - I am still surprised that Movistar don't split their leaders between the two races.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the TTT and getting all three to get basically some practice together on a TTT. Remember this a team that doesn't hold training camps for their riders. Otherwise I have no idea why they're sending all three to one race instead of splitting them up.

This is beyond stupid IMHO. I thought they might send Landa to the Tour of Switzerland with a shot of winning prior to be co-leader at the TdF with Quintana. Now I probably would've expected him to target the mountainous Dauphine instead. To send all 3 leaders to Switzerland makes zero sense at all. If it's mainly because of the TTT it's just dull. Landa should ride the Giro anyway. Especially with Dumoulin looking vulnerable so far and Froome likely being absent or not a big factor. Maybe Dumoulin even has to reschedule for the TdF now, given his interrupted preparation. Time's running out for Betancur as well, to get back into shape for the Giro. While he looks perfectly fit compared to other year's and there's enough time to prepare for the TdF as a super-domestique. Unzue is absolutely clueless this year. Unless Quintana wins the Tour it's gonna be a lost year for Movistar, I fear.

Re:

staubsauger said:
This is beyond stupid IMHO. I thought they might send Landa to the Tour of Switzerland with a shot of winning prior to be co-leader at the TdF with Quintana. Now I probably would've expected him to target the mountainous Dauphine instead. To send all 3 leaders to Switzerland makes zero sense at all. If it's mainly because of the TTT it's just dull. Landa should ride the Giro anyway. Especially with Dumoulin looking vulnerable so far and Froome likely being absent or not a big factor. Maybe Dumoulin even has to reschedule for the TdF now, given his interrupted preparation. Time's running out for Betancur as well, to get back into shape for the Giro. While he looks perfectly fit compared to other year's and there's enough time to prepare for the TdF as a super-domestique. Unzue is absolutely clueless this year. Unless Quintana wins the Tour it's gonna be a lost year for Movistar, I fear.
Completely agree with you. At least they should send Soler to the Giro, but Landa would be a better option of course.

Re:

staubsauger said:

Totally agree. Truthfully I'd actually have Valverde do the Giro/Vuelta double which is what he originally wanted anyway. At this rate with how Dumoulin looks and Froome may or may not be there and if he is who knows what we'll get plus the rest of the GC competition there, Valverde could win it.

I still don't get why they are sending all three to Switzerland. One should be going to the Duaphine. They are sending Soler to lead that team. However, I think he could use some help from one of the other three GC riders on the team.

It won't be a fully lost year for Movistar with how Valverde's return to dominating the spring is, esp if he wins at least one of the races in the Ardennes (which are his big goals for the year before we get to la Vuelta and the Worlds).

Interesting part is this may be the first time they've sent Quintana to either the Duaphine or Switzerland before the Tour. Also the first time I can remember Valverde going to Switzerland.

Koronin said:
staubsauger said:

Totally agree. Truthfully I'd actually have Valverde do the Giro/Vuelta double which is what he originally wanted anyway. At this rate with how Dumoulin looks and Froome may or may not be there and if he is who knows what we'll get plus the rest of the GC competition there, Valverde could win it.

I still don't get why they are sending all three to Switzerland. One should be going to the Duaphine. They are sending Soler to lead that team. However, I think he could use some help from one of the other three GC riders on the team.

It won't be a fully lost year for Movistar with how Valverde's return to dominating the spring is, esp if he wins at least one of the races in the Ardennes (which are his big goals for the year before we get to la Vuelta and the Worlds).

Interesting part is this may be the first time they've sent Quintana to either the Duaphine or Switzerland before the Tour. Also the first time I can remember Valverde going to Switzerland.

2012, riding for Costa.

How things have changed.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
staubsauger said:

2012, riding for Costa.

How things have changed.

TY. So 2012 and 2018, both comeback season. That's actually pretty funny.

Laplaz said:
staubsauger said:
Completely agree with you. At least they should send Soler to the Giro, but Landa would be a better option of course.
Another agree.

Unzue must be very pissed off at Quintana IMHO. Having said that he is not making the right decisions.

They are going all in on the Tour and I can respect that, this is the year. While it would have been fun following Landa, Valverde or even Soler (I think not going to the Giro is the right choice), I also like the young and attacking Movistar-teams in the Giro. And I think Amador deserves a bit more respect than he gets, he was 4th and 7th prior to being all in for Quintana last year.

All 3 preferred Suisse cause its closer to the Tour, so all 3 goes. They also are getting used to race together while Soler can hunt another big french stage races on his own. I quite like it, its super interesting at least.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I think tour de suisse is a awful prep race to le tour, is too close, has 9 stages, monster climbs at more 2000 m, a lot of rain and snow. In recent years I can't remember a rider who have done a good tour (gc riders) after doing tour de suisse (maybe the schlecks)

Re:

portugal11 said:
I think tour de suisse is a awful prep race to le tour, is too close, has 9 stages, monster climbs at more 2000 m, a lot of rain and snow. In recent years I can't remember a rider who have done a good tour (gc riders) after doing tour de suisse (maybe the schlecks)

But it's a week farther from the Tour this year than normally.

staubsauger said:
Valv.Piti said:
Salvarani said:
Hope they send Landa to Giro. I like his chances more there than the Tour.
They won't, then they had announced. Landa is very motivated for the Tour, not necessarily the Giro.
Let's wait and see what is said after Itzulia. If it's still no Giro by then, I'm gonna believe it.
He passed the fall releasing interviews saying that he wanted to win the Tour, was even funny when at the team presentation was interviewed by a Rai journalist who start asking "You like Italy, you like riding in Italy, you like the Giro, you want to win it?" and he answered "No, I want the yellow jersey" so the journalist didn't know what to say.

Anyway if one of the leader of Movistar would have a remote possibility to go to the Giro that's Valverde, in the long interview released in december for Movistar+ (very interesting, he talked for nearly an hour about his career, the injury, the future and more, everyone who speak Spanish should watch) he said that he likes Giro and Vuelta much more than the Tour and he preferred to ride Giro and Vuelta but he also said that the team want him at the Tour so he'll go to the Tour and the Vuelta because he can't miss Vuelta.

Nirvana said:
staubsauger said:
Valv.Piti said:
Salvarani said:
They won't, then they had announced. Landa is very motivated for the Tour, not necessarily the Giro.
Let's wait and see what is said after Itzulia. If it's still no Giro by then, I'm gonna believe it.
He passed the fall releasing interviews saying that he wanted to win the Tour, was even funny when at the team presentation was interviewed by a Rai journalist who start asking "You like Italy, you like riding in Italy, you like the Giro, you want to win it?" and he answered "No, I want the yellow jersey" so the journalist didn't know what to say.

Anyway if one of the leader of Movistar would have a remote possibility to go to the Giro that's Valverde, in the long interview released in december for Movistar+ (very interesting, he talked for nearly an hour about his career, the injury, the future and more, everyone who speak Spanish should watch) he said that he likes Giro and Vuelta much more than the Tour and he preferred to ride Giro and Vuelta but he also said that the team want him at the Tour so he'll go to the Tour and the Vuelta because he can't miss Vuelta.

Do you have a link to that interview (with Bala)?

tobydawq said:
Nirvana said:
staubsauger said:
Valv.Piti said:
Salvarani said:

Do you have a link to that interview (with Bala)?

Here's the link to the interview. It's on Youtube. There is no written version of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4GIzlCA0c

Re:

Moviestar said:
Landa will be given the no.1 number in stead of Quintana in Pais Vasco, curious to see how they will work together.

Actually I'm not surprised by this. Landa is from the Basque region so they're going to give the local boy the 1. Plus you have the comments Quintana made earlier this year saying he shouldn't have to race the spring races to win because it burns him out or some such thing. Landa wants to win his home race.

However, I agree it's going to be interesting to see.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Moviestar said:
Landa will be given the no.1 number in stead of Quintana in Pais Vasco, curious to see how they will work together.

They don't like each other, so it will indeed be interesting to see.

I get the impression however that Quintana is not very liked inside the peloton. I've only ever seen negative reactions on him by other riders.

Nibali even flat out stated it lol:

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/International/no-love-lost-with-quintana-says-nibali-20170510

Dumoulin (although this was a rather childish remark by him, for which he later apologized):

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-hope-nibali-quintana-lose-podium-spot-focus-332705

El Pistolero said:
Moviestar said:

I get the impression however that Quintana is not very liked inside the peloton. I've only ever seen negative reactions on him by other riders.

https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/International/no-love-lost-with-quintana-says-nibali-20170510

Dumoulin (although this was a rather childish remark by him, for which he later apologized):

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-hope-nibali-quintana-lose-podium-spot-focus-332705

Not surprising. Riders who have left Movistar recently have said they've had enough of Quintana. After the 2016 Vuelta Contador said he'd never work with a Quintana led team again. If you remember the 2016 Tour. Valverde had some interesting comments after a couple of stages, including that Quintana still had no clue how to read a race and that he was done trying to help him learn. He also won't road captain for Quintana.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
Moviestar said:

Not surprising. Riders who have left Movistar recently have said they've had enough of Quintana. After the 2016 Vuelta Contador said he'd never work with a Quintana led team again. If you remember the 2016 Tour. Valverde had some interesting comments after a couple of stages, including that Quintana still had no clue how to read a race and that he was done trying to help him learn. He also won't road captain for Quintana.
what did they say? (visconti doesn't count)

TRENDING THREADS