• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Koronin said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.

More likely both Landa and Quintana are leaving. Mr Unzue has said several times that Valverde can race for them for as long as he wants to. Valverde isn't leaving that team, he's the face of team.

Rumors are the Quintana is unhappy and wanted to leave this year but couldn't find anyone who would buy out his contract. There are the reports that Landa may go back to Astana. Valverde, however, is not going anywhere and will be with Movistar for as long as he wants to race. The team just needs him to tell them how many years he wants for his next contract.
Ups..
Probably you are right.
I just hoped I would be able to become a New Movistar Fan (you know, Team Sky is over).

I'm not sure he'll end up there anyway. Of the young riders Enric Mas is the one that Mr Unzue has said he hopes to eventually sign. Also when Bernal signed with Sky Movistar had very little interest in him at that time. So they may look at him, but wouldn't say it's a definite that they'll sign him. Plus they have two young riders on their own team they are looking at for the future as well with Soler and Carapaz.

roundabout said:
Moviestar said:
https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/analysis-movistar-in-pole-position-for-bernal-sweepstakes_482270

and plan B after running both Landa and Quintana out of town if Brailsford finds another sponsor is?

Soler and Carapaz, plus they'll still have Valverde. He wants another contract and they've already said he'll have a contract for as long as he wants it. Also don't be so sure they'd go after Bernal if Sky folds. They want Enric Mas.

Re:

roundabout said:
I do not see any of them making a GT podium, so again, what is plan B for GTs after getting rid of riders who can get at least a podium?

Signing Enric Mas would solve that. Valverde may still be able to podium at la Vuelta. Solar is still improving and the only leadership opportunities he's had were last year at Paris-Nice and the Dauphine. He needs to learn how to do get two peaks in a year. He was only given the Dauphine after he won Paris-Nice.

Re:

yaco said:
I wonder why each of the leaders has to ride 2 GT's - In saying that it seems management have bowed to the riders requests.
Valv and Quintana always does two GTs, often Tour + Vuelta. So that's no surprise at all.

Landa wanted to ride the Giro and Tour and that fit perfectly with what the other wanted this season as well (altho management probably wanted Alejandro in France). It will be a lot more balanced

Re:

Red Rick said:
Wondering if he could get pink, but that's probably gonna be really hard. Still, stages up for grabs in the first week, and I definitely want to see those hilly stages with more detailed profiles
It has also been a while since we have seen a world class puncheur-grimpeur like Cunego, Di Luca and Riccó or more pure puncheurs like Gil or Bettini (you can argue for Simon this year). The Giro needs those kinda of riders for the intermediate stages where the quality often has been bad lately cause all the Ardennes-riders aren't riding.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Wondering if he could get pink, but that's probably gonna be really hard. Still, stages up for grabs in the first week, and I definitely want to see those hilly stages with more detailed profiles
It has also been a while since we have seen a world class puncheur-grimpeur like Cunego, Di Luca and Riccó or more pure puncheurs like Gil or Bettini (you can argue for Simon this year). The Giro needs those kinda of riders for the intermediate stages where the quality often has been bad lately cause all the Ardennes-riders aren't riding.
"Diego Ulissi, best puncheur in the world in May."

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
It's been a while since the Giro has made stages suited to them. Even next year it's pretty slim pickings honestly. It's never been more than 1 really hard one and usually even then it comes down to the finish. Most of it's pretty much rolling stages with one sharp pitch near the finish, which turns it into a fight for bonus seconds rather than genuine GC fights before the real mountains come.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Koronin said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
I hope It's fake news.

More likely both Landa and Quintana are leaving. Mr Unzue has said several times that Valverde can race for them for as long as he wants to. Valverde isn't leaving that team, he's the face of team.

Rumors are the Quintana is unhappy and wanted to leave this year but couldn't find anyone who would buy out his contract. There are the reports that Landa may go back to Astana. Valverde, however, is not going anywhere and will be with Movistar for as long as he wants to race. The team just needs him to tell them how many years he wants for his next contract.
Ups..
Probably you are right.
I just hoped I would be able to become a New Movistar Fan (you know, Team Sky is over).

Bandwagon jumper. :D As Korinin stated and is plain to most that follow the sport, all except those with sycophantic fantasies, Valverde's spot is quite secure.

Koronin said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Koronin said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
I hope It's fake news.

Ups..
Probably you are right.

I'm not sure he'll end up there anyway. Of the young riders Enric Mas is the one that Mr Unzue has said he hopes to eventually sign. Also when Bernal signed with Sky Movistar had very little interest in him at that time. So they may look at him, but wouldn't say it's a definite that they'll sign him. Plus they have two young riders on their own team they are looking at for the future as well with Soler and Carapaz.

I would think also that their current budget wouldn't have allowed it.

Blanco said:
Red Rick said:

He will be very close already after San Luca...
Prologue is probably gonna be like 15 minutes, differences could be as high as 30 seconds or more for the lesser TT'ers. I think Valverde will lose between 20 and 30 to the winner, and that's a large ask to make up in the hilly stages.

Re:

yaco said:
I wonder why each of the leaders has to ride 2 GT's - In saying that it seems management have bowed to the riders requests.

Valverde likes riding two GTs and has been doing that basically since he joined Movistar in 2005. Plus he's being given the two GT's he specifically asked for for this coming season.
Landa has asked for the Giro/Tour.
Quintana only asked for the Tour, but has been racing two GTs a year for awhile now as well.

As Alex Dowsett said a couple years ago about Movistar, riders at Movistar are given about 75% of the calendar they ask for. Valverde more or less gets the entire calendar he wants. Basically he gets 98% of what he wants to begin with and right after he won the Worlds his boss said he'll get the calendar he wants for 2019 as it's his year to just enjoy having the rainbow jersey.

It's kinda overshadowed by the surprising amount of stars going to the giro next year but I have to say a team with Landa, Valverde and Carapaz is pretty insane. I mean this years fourth place giro finisher will probably only be number three in the team.

TRENDING THREADS