• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
finale-frascati-2.png

Stage 3 looks like the Vuelta stage where he beat Sagan. And it's even a bit harder. If he isn't tired from a long classics season, it's almost in the bag.

And if he can pull off a great ITT, he might be in pink after stage 3. The San Luca TT is perfect for him. Short, explosive and with a nice murito at the end.

It all depends on how much time Dumoulin will gain the on the rest. Valverde could become 4th or something and still loose 20 seconds+ to Dumo. :lol:

Re:

Velolover2 said:
finale-frascati-2.png

Stage 3 looks like the Vuelta stage where he beat Sagan. And it's even a bit harder. If he isn't tired from a long classics season, it's almost in the bag.

And if he can pull off a great ITT, he might be in pink after stage 3. The San Luca TT is perfect for him. Short, explosive and with a nice murito at the end.

It all depends on how much time Dumoulin will gain the on the rest. Valverde could become 4th or something and still loose 20 seconds+ to Dumo. :lol:

That does look a lot like the Vuelta stage finish Valverde beat Sagan. I agree as long as he's not tired from his spring campaign, he should be able to win that stage. As for getting pick, it'll depend on how good/poor of an ITT he does.

Re:

Koronin said:
Highly unlikely QS sends Alaphilippe to the Giro. He'll be more likely to head to California in May than the Giro if he's going to be racing in May.
Yeah, but Matthews might be a bigger problem. I could see him getting very close to his leader in that short time trial and outkick Valverde on stage 3 and 5. And then later in the Giro, act like some kind of road captain for Dumoulin.

Let's hope he targets the Tour.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Koronin said:
Highly unlikely QS sends Alaphilippe to the Giro. He'll be more likely to head to California in May than the Giro if he's going to be racing in May.
Yeah, but Matthews might be a bigger problem. I could see him getting very close to his leader in that short time trial and outkick Valverde on stage 3 and 5. And then later in the Giro, act like some kind of road captain for Dumoulin.

Let's hope he targets the Tour.

You're right, Matthews would be the bigger issue and he is capable of doing a good ITT. I just would be surprised if Alaphilippe goes to the Giro. Plus his racing for KOM and/or stage hunting isn't going to matter which GT he goes to. Granted we don't know which GT or GTs they'll send Mas to either. However if they go to the Tour for sprints it makes more sense to send Alaphilippe there for KOM and stage hunting than to the Giro, esp when California has been a good race for him.

Might beg the question who is gonna control those stages. I imagine a good amount of riders will be looking for those breakaways so they'll probably already ship some time the first chance they get. I imagine most GC teams will be happy the bonus seconds are gone, and those stages aren't hard enough to really try for an attack for the punchier of the GC riders.

wheresmybrakes said:
Velolover2 said:
It's official, Matthews is riding the Tour. So are Alaphilippe, Sagan, GVA.

Valverde's biggest rivals for those stages are breakaway riders, not other puncheurs.

So Valverde is doing a Dumo and running away from the competition to make it as easy as possible to win a Jersey. Makes sense at his age.

To be fair, he has a great chance of wearing Giro and literally no chances of wearing yellow because of the TTT.

But if he only is there as a stage hunter, there are almost more chances in the Tour than Giro. Stage 3 in the Tour features a lot of muro-like climbs.

finale-epernay-2.png

For example: Is this a Sagan stage or a Valverde stage? I can't tell.

The Vosges stage to Colmar is also really good for him.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Might beg the question who is gonna control those stages. I imagine a good amount of riders will be looking for those breakaways so they'll probably already ship some time the first chance they get. I imagine most GC teams will be happy the bonus seconds are gone, and those stages aren't hard enough to really try for an attack for the punchier of the GC riders.
There are some teams that might be interested in uphill sprint stages. Sky for Moscon, Bora for McCarthy, Jumbo for De Plus, AG2R for Vuillermoz.. But you are right, it's hard to imagine any teams going all in for the hilly stage. The GT leaders need to have a fresh team before the mountains.

Is the run in technical?

I'm thinking Sagan or Matthews. It's just really short and everything that happens more than 20km from the line is kinda irrelevant between these kinds of riders, unless somebody makes an attack of some significance, which I don't see happening.

Velolover2 said:
Red Rick said:
There are some teams that might be interested in uphill sprint stages. Sky for Moscon, Bora for McCarthy, Jumbo for De Plus, AG2R for Vuillermoz.. But you are right, it's hard to imagine any teams going all in for the hilly stage. The GT leaders need to have a fresh team before the mountains.
It's just really hard to see a team go 'yeah, my 3rd rate puncheur is gonna beat Valverde here'. Moscon is the only one there with a remote chance, and they'll be riding for GC.