• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There's also rumors they are talking to Fuglsang. I might add Barbero and Amador to the list they may give an extension to. Erviti is definitely being offered an extension. The only question there is does he sign or does he retire. Erviti has talked about retiring a few times in the last couple of years. I agree it's going to be a new look team. I think it's a smart idea. With virtually all their riders out of contract at the end of the season, now is the perfect time to totally rebuild the team. As of right now they have 3 riders signed past this season. Those 3 riders are Soler, Verona, and Valverde. I saw the reports that Canyon may want Vd Poel at Movistar. My reaction was interesting. They might offer Landa a contract. Between Landa, Quintana and Carapaz I think the only one of the 3 they aren't interested in keeping at all is Quintana.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
i think they have the same strategy that worked in the Giro. Landa as the carrot up ahead and Quintana as the ride in waiting. But unlike the Giro, Ineos have the team to chase Landa but it would be interesting to watch

Other problem with that strategy was Carapaz was willing to attack and take risks as well. Quintana just doesn't want to lose time.

Re:

Koronin said:
There's also rumors they are talking to Fuglsang. I might add Barbero and Amador to the list they may give an extension to. Erviti is definitely being offered an extension. The only question there is does he sign or does he retire. Erviti has talked about retiring a few times in the last couple of years. I agree it's going to be a new look team. I think it's a smart idea. With virtually all their riders out of contract at the end of the season, now is the perfect time to totally rebuild the team. As of right now they have 3 riders signed past this season. Those 3 riders are Soler, Verona, and Valverde. I saw the reports that Canyon may want Vd Poel at Movistar. My reaction was interesting. They might offer Landa a contract. Between Landa, Quintana and Carapaz I think the only one of the 3 they aren't interested in keeping at all is Quintana.

I have spent the entire day wondering what your interesting reaction was... ;)

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:

:) Just found the idea/rumor to be interesting. I'm not entirely sure how Vd Poel fits with how Movistar typically racing. So found the idea of him going there to be interesting. :)

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:

:) Just found the idea/rumor to be interesting. I'm not entirely sure how Vd Poel fits with how Movistar typically racing. So found the idea of him going there to be interesting. :)

Aw, that's disappointing :(

Though, I agree, it's pretty hard to imagine him riding for that team.

Mathieu... at Movistar.... sign me the *** up! :D

Would be a much, much weirder fit than Roelandts at Movistar. Im sure Mathieu would still be tearing the world up on Movistar tho, they can still provide better support than his team this year. But yeah, not gonna happen, unfortunately!

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Mathieu... at Movistar.... sign me the **** up! :D

Would be a much, much weirder fit than Roelandts at Movistar. Im sure Mathieu would still be tearing the world up on Movistar tho, they can still provide better support than his team this year. But yeah, not gonna happen, unfortunately!
I'd be worried for Unzue and his health, imagine his reaction when MVP would attack in a big race with over 50km to go. :D

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:

Every team in the WT would MVP into their ranks - It's a no-brainer.

Koronin said:
IndianCyclist said:
i think they have the same strategy that worked in the Giro. Landa as the carrot up ahead and Quintana as the ride in waiting. But unlike the Giro, Ineos have the team to chase Landa but it would be interesting to watch

Other problem with that strategy was Carapaz was willing to attack and take risks as well. Quintana just doesn't want to lose time.

And there's another problem called Ineos...

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Carapaz to Ineos should be done according to the Italians.

Goddamnit......

If they could replace Carapaz with Vd Poel that would be something i'd sign for immediately. The chance is a bit bigger now, as there are reports that Katusha will probably fuse with Gazprom and Israel Academy, which makes Movistar the only option for Canyon. I have read that Canyon is responsible for 80/90% of Vd Poel's salary, so it is very likely Canyon will influence the next step.

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Carapaz to Ineos should be done according to the Italians.

Goddamnit......

If they could replace Carapaz with Vd Poel that would be something i'd sign for immediately. The chance is a bit bigger now, as there are reports that Katusha will probably fuse with Gazprom and Israel Academy, which makes Movistar the only option for Canyon. I have read that Canyon is responsible for 80/90% of Vd Poel's salary, so it is very likely Canyon will influence the next step.

If that happens it would be fun to watch. In truth they could use a rider like Vd Poel. If Canyon is paying most of his salary, then it's likely they will have big say on where he goes. Hope he's up for the challenge of learning Spanish if he does end up going to Movistar.

I don't know about you, although I safely guess that most following this thread are Movistar fans. But Landa's interview vowing to fight back means that once again, there's no team unity. Meanwhile Quintana says it's his best TdF start to get attention, it seems. Because he should be but still isn't the designated leader. Movistar should have won Le Tour by now. We are served the same old recipe again :mad...Et Pluribus Pluribum...

Tonton said:
I don't know about you, although I safely guess that most following this thread are Movistar fans. But Landa's interview vowing to fight back means that once again, there's no team unity. Meanwhile Quintana says it's his best TdF start to get attention, it seems. Because he should be but still isn't the designated leader. Movistar should have won Le Tour by now. We are served the same old recipe again :mad...Et Pluribus Pluribum...

You know the saying..... Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....
It seems we are being treated to that with Movistar. However from the sounds of it and with all but now 3 riders out of contract at the end of the season I suspect they are planning on a massive rebuild for the team while likely keeping a handful of Valverde's longtime friends/helpers. Although I suspect of they should resign Castrillo.

Blanco said:
wheresmybrakes said:
So they've brought a team for the mountains, tomorrow and Sunday they have no excuses.

They need to go hard tomorrow already, and I think they will have the strongest possible ally in Ineos. They will not fool around with Alaphilippe anymore, he's becoming really dangerous.

Thanks an interesting point. The two strongest (or at least should be) climbing teams have a common goal for now.

I like that they showed ambition to do something and actually tried doing something. Made the race hard early. You cant know in advance how their captains will respond to it or how other teams captains will respond to it. You just have to try and they did. Landa to be the rider to maybe do something on GC. They could all (Landa, Valverde and Quintana) win some stages also. I guess that will be a goal. And the team classification.

I guess some will crucify their tactis. But what were they supposed to do? They did what most of us ask from teams in stages like this. To challenge INEOS/Sky. Im sure other are seeing they are not so strong this year, so far at least.

TRENDING THREADS