• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think someone had asked what had happened to Betancur. According to this article it appears he's still in Colombia and won't race again this season.

Ciclismocolombiano.com contactó con una fuente cercana, que contó que “Carlos Betancur aún no ha viajado a Europa, pues el equipo no lo ha llamado. Sin embargo no lo ha llamado por un tema deportivo, sino personal“.

google translate:

Ciclismocolombiano.com contacted a close source, who said that “Carlos Betancur has not yet traveled to Europe, as the team has not called him. However, he has not called him for a sporting issue, but a personal one.

Well, his personal rider thread did mention something about a family member dying, back when the news that he hadn't actually made it onto that flight to Europe first broke.

Maybe it was his personal rider thread where someone had asked if he had ever made it to Europe or not. I do remember reading that the personal issue was a family member dying. Which is a valid reason to stay home.

Naah, it was here, coz I was the one who asked, and I couldn't be bothered to dig up his personal rider thread.

(It was the thing that started the who thing about (preliminary) startlists)

Thanks. I considered putting that in his thread, but like you put it here for basically the same reason, but technically things about riders on the team can fit here as well. :) Well that appears to be the answer to the question. He's in Colombia and won't be racing the rest of the season from the sounds of it. At this point his name on a start list is likely a place holder.

According to an interview with one of Movistar's riders for the Giro, this Giro team does not have a leader, or helpers, all the riders are free to do whatever they wish. Sounds a lot like Movistar's 2017 Vuelta team. Well the riders will get some experience if nothing else.

Reactions: perico
Pedrero will be the ninja of this race. He'll finish probably about 9th-12th overall just by being there-ish once the big guns have made their moves, like Tiralongo in the 2009 Vuelta. He's here to do what Arroyo used to do at the Giro until his 2010 odyssey, Pedrero isn't as good as Arroyo but the field here is a bit weaker/a few people have already been moved down the pecking order. Samitier has been somebody I've thought could do this and potentially better for a while as he was one of the better climbers on Lizarte for a while.

Pedrero will be the ninja of this race. He'll finish probably about 9th-12th overall just by being there-ish once the big guns have made their moves, like Tiralongo in the 2009 Vuelta. He's here to do what Arroyo used to do at the Giro until his 2010 odyssey, Pedrero isn't as good as Arroyo but the field here is a bit weaker/a few people have already been moved down the pecking order. Samitier has been somebody I've thought could do this and potentially better for a while as he was one of the better climbers on Lizarte for a while.
That's a good comparison indeed. Hopefully he can limit the damage in the largely flat timetrial. Arroyo could limit his losses due to the hillier ITT's those days.

TRENDING THREADS