• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky; Not invited to 2011?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else think that Team Sky might not get invited next year?

Two guys in the top 25, a few 3rd places and a couple of days in the white jersey has hardly set the road to Paris alight.

I can remember only one breakaway that they have been in and although Flecha shed the wristband last Sunday that doesn't seem too hard these days.

They may hope to win the Tour within five years, but they have to make sure that they are invited first.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They represent a big and fast growing market. ASO is a commercial organisation. Even if al of them climbed like Kenny van Hummel, they'd still get an invite.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
RadioShack probably did not get an invite, because of politics, JB/LA's treatment of Spanish rider Contador:rolleyes: also the possability that LA/JB will be in bigger stinky than they are currently would detract from the racing and Vuelta maybe thought they didn't need that at their tour.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For a start, they should get enough ranking points this season not to require an invitation. But even if they didn't there's no reason why they shouldn't be invited.

1. Firstly, they're a brand new team. Have a look how 'superteams' like US Postal, T-Mobile or CSC did in their debut Tour (Clue: it was worse than Sky). A white jersey wearer, a second and two thirds on stages and two guys in the top 20 isn't that bad. And the Tour's not over yet.

2. Other teams have performed worse. What have Garmin, Cofidis, Milram and AG2R done? (I'm quite well aware two of these are French). Even Liquigas haven't really shone, for an Italian superteam.

3. As has been pointed out, they represent a big (largely) untapped market.

4. They are the personal project of James Murdoch. This is the heir apparent to the third largest media empire in the world. As cycling runs on publicity, this is a good person to have onside. Plus Sky are one of the world's best and most innovative sports broadcasters in the world. Sponsors like this need to be encouraged and are useful to ASO.

5. I don't see any better teams that have missed out. Personally I don't see Vacansoliel's suicide attacks for fifteen minutes as impressive.

5. There's a good chance of Caisse d'Epargne and Milram, at least, won't be around next year.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
looks like you jumped early..looks like there trying to get the win to save them :rolleyes:
think if gerrans was around he would of picked up a win..they will get invited they have done just as much as milram,footon, bbox,fdj (sandy aside)

A

Anonymous

I wont get angry acf..

Next years tour selections are partly based on rankings so as long as sky get some points out of this tour they should be invited automatically. Deaming this conversation fairly pointless

A few days in white, and a few podiums is better than some teams have done. (and flecha is in the break again today)

THere are a fair few teams done an awful lot less than sky. Ive barely noticed euskaltel, footon, lotto, milram (are they even in the race), cervelo (until yesterday)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I wont get angry acf..

Next years tour selections are partly based on rankings so as long as sky get some points out of this tour they should be invited automatically. Deaming this conversation fairly pointless

A few days in white, and a few podiums is better than some teams have done. (and flecha is in the break again today)

THere are a fair few teams done an awful lot less than sky. Ive barely noticed euskaltel, footon, lotto, milram (are they even in the race), cervelo (until yesterday)

Are you serious?:eek: They have been a very prominent team. The team has the green jersey and I have seen them on the front in many stages!

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Are you serious?:eek: They have been a very prominent team. The team has the green jersey and I have seen them on the front in many stages!

i completely and utterly forgot about thor. but i have only just woken up.

Shurrup anyway, i was going to put BMC in the list of teams that have done nothing except a couple of days in a jersey

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
We better hide this thread from Dim/TSF as things could get ugly!:D

Yea, and you'd better hope that someone doesn't start a similar thread for BMC because it isn't like they have set the world on fire this Tour. Sky will be fine, and I wouldn't be surprised for them to make some substantial hires for next year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Shurrup anyway, i was going to put BMC in the list of teams that have done nothing except a couple of days in a jersey

Yes, holding yellow jersey V holding the white jersey

Funny how Wiggo is now blaming his form on the giro:rolleyes:

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
5. I don't see any better teams that have missed out. Personally I don't see Vacansoliel's suicide attacks for fifteen minutes as impressive.

You have some points I agree with, but certainly not this one. Even if you tried you couldn't be more wrong.

I know the CQ ranking is not an official ranking, but it does prove that Vacansoleil is not only about suicide attacks.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Bernardus said:
You have some points I agree with, but certainly not this one. Even if you tried you couldn't be more wrong.

I know the CQ ranking is not an official ranking, but it does prove that Vacansoleil is not only about suicide attacks.

Yeah, they're good on the cobbles and in the wind - but that's not going to do you a fat lot of good in the Tour, by and large. I don't see what they offer a Grand Tour other than crazy attacks.

Bernardus said:

I even think Matteo Carrara would have a better GC position than Bradley Wiggins by this point. Funny how Wiggins thinks his weak performance so far is down to his lack in experience in preparing for the Tour, when Andy Schleck or Robert Gesink have less experience... just way more talent.

And about the cobbles and wind... Vacansoleil have a better climbing squad than Sky. That's a fact.

A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
I even think Matteo Carrara would have a better GC position than Bradley Wiggins by this point. Funny how Wiggins thinks his weak performance so far is down to his lack in experience in preparing for the Tour, when Andy Schleck or Robert Gesink have less experience... just way more talent.

And about the cobbles and wind... Vacansoleil have a better climbing squad than Sky. That's a fact.

Andy schleck has less experience of preparing for the tour? Do you want to rethink that statement

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Like who? Feillu? One good day in the mountains in a breakaway doesn't make you a climber (ask Hincapie)

TeamSkyFans said:

You've been making the fatal mistake of looking at eye level. Try looking at the floor and you'll notice that Euskaltel have been highly visible.

And Lotto? That's a bit harsh, with VDB up there, and Mario Aerts in break after break.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The coverage Sky TV has been giving to the tour guarantees their participation next year....

If BMC/Hincapie become part of the LA situation and it gets real smelly, their participation may be in jeopardy if Hincapie is still riding....like OP with Basso Ullrich etc...

Mambo95 said:
Like who? Feillu? One good day in the mountains in a breakaway doesn't make you a climber (ask Hincapie)
The aforementioned Carrara, for instance. Like I said, I'd rate him higher than Wiggins as a climber. Furthermore they have Lagutin, Feillu, Hoogerland, Poels, Marcato who'd provide more than decent uphill support. No worse than the Sky guys, at least.

TeamSkyFans said:
Andy schleck has less experience of preparing for the tour? Do you want to rethink that statement
This is Schleck's third Tour, his second as clear team leader. For Wiggins it's the fourth Tour, his second as a GC guy.

A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
The aforementioned Carrara, for instance. Like I said, I'd rate him higher than Wiggins as a climber. Furthermore they have Lagutin, Feillu, Hoogerland, Poels, Marcato who'd provide more than decent uphill support. No worse than the Sky guys, at least.

This is Schleck's third Tour, his second as clear team leader. For Wiggins it's the fourth Tour, his second as a GC guy.

and how often do you think brad has actually prepared for the tour as a contender, and how often as schleck prepared for the tour as a contender.

Theres a difference between preparing to try and win a tt, and trying to win the tour. This was shlecks third year of preparing as a contender, brads 1st , arguably second.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I wont get angry acf..

quite a lot of attacks, 2 times prix de combatif, 5th overall? top 5 places too? not too bad if you ask me

TeamSkyFans said:
and how often do you think brad has actually prepared for the tour as a contender, and how often as schleck prepared for the tour as a contender.

Theres a difference between preparing to try and win a tt, and trying to win the tour. This was shlecks third year of preparing as a contender, brads 1st , arguably second.
The point is there's only so much a good preparation can do for you. For the typical time trialist and tempo climber Wiggins the steep mountains will always be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS