• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky Saving the Rainforest!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Green

euanli said:
Good PR but absolute fluff. What about the bus and the team cars? I bet they will be showing off the XKR as well.

It is a curious anomaly,that while cycling is the greenest form of transport, procycling is anything but green.

Sky is one of the most monopolistic parasitic evil companies in the world. That it has single handidly lowered the iq of the average person in Britain by about 10, is only one of its many offenses against the people.

While i like the British cycling team which it sponsors, i have no idea what it is doing partnering with the wwf but it cant be good. Maybe they thought they were partnering up with the wrestling organisation?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
So when we watch the sky channel on tv, we use electricity, which burns coal (green house gas emisions), which is bad for environment, which sky are trying to save trees for the health of the envirionment. Seems odd.

The Hitch said:
Sky is one of the most monopolistic parasitic evil companies in the world. That it has single handidly lowered the iq of the average person in Britain by about 10, is only one of its many offenses against the people.

While i like the British cycling team which it sponsors, i have no idea what it is doing partnering with the wwf but it cant be good. Maybe they thought they were partnering up with the wrestling organisation?

No one makes you buy sky. The only monopoly in British TV is the BBC.

Sky are the only TV company in Britain who ever invest in anything. Digital was championed by them. HD the same. Now 3D the same.

All the other TV companies just sit on the sidelines moaning while sky invest money, take risks and often succeed as a result.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So when we watch the sky channel on tv, we use electricity, which burns coal (green house gas emisions), which is bad for environment, which sky are trying to save trees for the health of the envirionment. Seems odd.

All the damage to the environment is happening anyway. they could've just said **** it and donated no money.

A

Anonymous

Waterloo Sunrise said:

Sky are the only TV company in Britain who ever invest in anything. Digital was championed by them. HD the same. Now 3D the same.

All the other TV companies just sit on the sidelines moaning while sky invest money, take risks and often succeed as a result.

Ditto. I choose to pay for sky, im forced to pay for the bbc.

As for the my tv uses power, so sky trying to save trees is stupid, argument is ridiculous. Like saying my car uses petrol and contributes to pollution so im not going to bother recylcing.

The Kit? I love it, much cooler than the blue.

Waterloo Sunrise said:

If you thought my complaint was about not liking the service sky provides me with then you have really misunderstood.

Let me ask you this. Do yout think animal rights protesters protest outside Mcdonalds because they are unhappy with the taste of the mc chicken burger, or because they dont like the tactics Mcdonalds employs. Will they change their mind if you tell them "if you dont like Mcdonalds dont buy it?"

Thats my problem with sky, especially Sky news - what it does to society, and the influence that it has on issues which effect me. Its basically tmz on tv, but with enough power and influence to be treated seriously by politicians. For them the election was simply a big money making opportunity, nothing else. So what did they do? They blackmailed the candidates into holding an election debate, one of which was exclusively on sky news. They had a 10 oclock programme where their "political expert" bolton would invite celebrities who know s**t all about politics to talk for 2 minutes about "the issues that matter" ie the election, and then for 5 minutes about football.
Oh and you mention hd. Have you seen their election adverts. They had a picture of Gordon Brown and then the words "you decide, in HD" with the HD taking up half the screen.
Ironically i saw a poster like this in the exact place they had 1 month previous had a jose mourinho poster with the words "football is better in hd"
Right now they have a poster there saying "Sky news now in HD". And what great world figure is on the poster. David Cameron? Obama? Nick Clegg? Sarkozy? nope nope nope nope. Its the manager of Fulham fc football club. Because at the end of the day, that is the kind of story, that becomes "breaking news" on the sky news channel.

Oh, and any time a celebrity takes a crap or anyother event of note the so called "hd copter" is immediately on the scene faster than rescue services ever could.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

Firstly TV licensing is common throughout the world it's not just UK/BBC, secondly the Sky investment comment is ridiculous, especially the idea that they were the only company in Britain to 'risk' investment in digital and HD where did you get this from? Sky news? ?_?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If you thought my complaint was about not liking the service sky provides me with then you have really misunderstood.

Let me ask you this. Do yout think animal rights protesters protest outside Mcdonalds because they are unhappy with the taste of the mc chicken burger, or because they dont like the tactics Mcdonalds employs. Will they change their mind if you tell them "if you dont like Mcdonalds dont buy it?"

Thats my problem with sky, especially Sky news - what it does to society, and the influence that it has on issues which effect me. Its basically tmz on tv, but with enough power and influence to be treated seriously by politicians. For them the election was simply a big money making opportunity, nothing else. So what did they do? They blackmailed the candidates into holding an election debate, one of which was exclusively on sky news. They had a 10 oclock programme where their "political expert" bolton would invite celebrities who know s**t all about politics to talk for 2 minutes about "the issues that matter" ie the election, and then for 5 minutes about football.
Oh and you mention hd. Have you seen their election adverts. They had a picture of Gordon Brown and then the words "you decide, in HD" with the HD taking up half the screen.
Ironically i saw a poster like this in the exact place they had 1 month previous had a jose mourinho poster with the words "football is better in hd"
Right now they have a poster there saying "Sky news now in HD". And what great world figure is on the poster. David Cameron? Obama? Nick Clegg? Sarkozy? nope nope nope nope. Its the manager of Fulham fc football club. Because at the end of the day, that is the kind of story, that becomes "breaking news" on the sky news channel.

Oh, and any time a celebrity takes a crap or anyother event of note the so called "hd copter" is immediately on the scene faster than rescue services ever could.

Time of the month? ;)

The Hitch said:

unfortunately Sky is not alone in it's flagrant bias when it comes to how it delivers it news coverage. The election campaign was reported from only one perspectice on Sky, but they were not alone in doing, ITV were following pretty much the same path. Yes the TV company is brazen and brash in their approach, but it clearly works for them and clearly sells. I am not championing their cause, I am just playing devils advocate. I subsribe to Sky primarily for the sports coverage, I choose not to watch the news as I know it will just make me get on my soapbox.

Sky are not alone in dumbing down of British culture and the populations intelligence. Every media outlet is to blame in part, but more pertinently so are the British public for allowing themselves to be suckered in by all the manipulation and not stopping to think for a moment and take what they are watching/reading/hearing at face value and form their own opinions.

I think to single out Sky is unfair and I think to relate the cyling team to is also unfair. Too many can't seem to differentiate between the fact that Sky is the teams sponsor and the riders are cyclists, nothing more nothing less.

Do we single out the Astana riders for criticisms of Kazakhstan government? No. Do people single out Saxo bank or Rabobank if their investments go wrong? No.

So why should the sky cyslists be portrayed as evil purveyors of media output?

Let the guys ride and race and do their job.

adamski101 said:
unfortunately Sky is not alone in it's flagrant bias when it comes to how it delivers it news coverage. The election campaign was reported from only one perspectice on Sky, but they were not alone in doing, ITV were following pretty much the same path. Yes the TV company is brazen and brash in their approach, but it clearly works for them and clearly sells. I am not championing their cause, I am just playing devils advocate. I subsribe to Sky primarily for the sports coverage, I choose not to watch the news as I know it will just make me get on my soapbox.

Sky are not alone in dumbing down of British culture and the populations intelligence. Every media outlet is to blame in part, but more pertinently so are the British public for allowing themselves to be suckered in by all the manipulation and not stopping to think for a moment and take what they are watching/reading/hearing at face value and form their own opinions.

I think to single out Sky is unfair and I think to relate the cyling team to is also unfair. Too many can't seem to differentiate between the fact that Sky is the teams sponsor and the riders are cyclists, nothing more nothing less.

Do we single out the Astana riders for criticisms of Kazakhstan government? No. Do people single out Saxo bank or Rabobank if their investments go wrong? No.

So why should the sky cyslists be portrayed as evil purveyors of media output?

Let the guys ride and race and do their job.
I dont know who says this.

I did say in my post that the only thing i like about sky is the cycling team.

I support them because i would like this thing of ours to gain importance in Britain, which success on their part might do. My critiscsm of sky was not because of their riders but me simply spculating as to what new evil plan bskyb has on its minds, considering its partnership with the wwf.;)

The Hitch said:
I dont know who says this.

I did say in my post that the only thing i like about sky is the cycling team.

I support them because i would like this thing of ours to gain importance in Britain, which success on their part might do. My critiscsm of sky was not because of their riders but me simply spculating as to what new evil plan bskyb has on its minds, considering its partnership with the wwf.;)

don't get me wrong, my comment about the riders being portrayed as evil purveyors wasn't in response to your post, it was to all the other sky bashers that seem to appear with alarming regularity on this forum.

like you i am a fan of the team, not necessarily the company whose logo they bear. I am excited about what they are thrying to do promote cycling in Britain, i mean i can still recall the shambles that was ANC/Halfords!!!

Maybe Murdoch is planning to get Chimps to present Sky Sports news.......

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Just like FC Barcelona and the their partnership with Unicef. A very good PR move by them, despite the fact that the club is full of bunch of tossers (doesn't mean I don't think they are great to watch).

A

Anonymous

adamski101 said:

Before sky we had four channels mostly showing soap operas, music shows, chat shows and the occasional documentary. Sky brought us countless documentary channels, biography channels, history channels, excellent news coverage (Which is far less bias than the BBC). If anything i would say my general knowledge and intelligence has been increased by Sky TV (ive been a subscriber since original launch).

Whatever next, we have issues with newspapers, television, hollywood, sitcom producers, reality tv makers etc. Goodness me.

As said before, if we have issues with Sky then have issues with QS because the floor in one of the other forum members house was dodgy, have issues with garmin because someones 605 edge broke.. blimey

and sky have been involved with various conservation projects for years, its regularly listed in their magazine etc schemes you can donate to. They just happen to be using the obvious publicity the team will get in the ToB to push it one step further.