• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky Squads for the Grand Tours

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eyeballs Out said:
Uran selection would smack of desperation when there's really no need to panic. Even if he did have something left physically (which I doubt) and mentally (which I really doubt) it's not going to make much difference - they have more than enough for the hills already. Better to use the spot on an extra diesel because they'll probably be riding on the front for most of the race

Hills, yes, mountains, no (on the evidence of the Dauphine).

Most of the second week are flat stages and you'll see a damn sight more of OPQS and the other sprinters teams than Sky so an extra diesel is unnecessary really. Assuming they take yellow on stage 8 (big assumption) the key stages in terms of controlling the race are 9, 15 and stages 18-20. Even a slightly below par Uran is going to be more useful on those stages than an extra diesel would be on the others.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
What a load of over-reaction.

It's 6 weeks until these guys actually need to so anything, and when they do, there's very little evidence to suspect that if they failed it would make any difference.

Froome can be exposed by the Spanish trio + Quintana in the high mountains if he's left isolated too early. He's not superman. There are four tough stages back to back in the third week (time trial + 3 mountain stages). That's likely to take it's toll on the leader and his team. The team will need to be strong given the strength of the competition.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:
You can't say a domestique is burned out, well you can but it is likely to be untrue, it is very likely that he will be ready for the Tour and remember this is a new peak for the Tour, even with Sky's tactic to peak for the whole season there are still relative peaks and the Tour squad are all following a similar peak where they would be peaking for the Tour so I doubt he is burned out from the spring.

Portal said that in regards to Kiriyenka he just came from doing a whole block of very intensive training and so it is taking him time to adjust I think the same could be said possibly for Lopez

I think is quite possible for a domestique to be burned out (as you probably noticed I´m not a native english speaker so maybe Im not using the correct term, but hopefully you get what I mean). He has raced almost every race as hard as their GC-contender.

Obvisully he is not in good shape (almost last today) and its either because of sickness or bad shape due to fatigue. The rest of the team seems to be ok, so its hard to belive hes meant to be in bad shape now.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
liamito said:
Hard to imagine Lopez will make the Tour squad. DNF today after a very disappointing week of racing.

My guess is that he has been ill. I don't know whether that means he is more or less likely to make it though. I'm hoping he recovers in time, Froome will need more than Porte and Thomas for support in the mountains, even if Kennaugh is selected and maintains his CdD form.

liamito said:
Hard to imagine Lopez will make the Tour squad. DNF today after a very disappointing week of racing.

Portal (Sky DS) says Lopez has been sick. He'll need to recover quickly and be hitting the numbers in the pre-Tour training camp otherwise he's not going. I'm 90% sure they'll take Uran.

That still leaves one place:

Froome
Porte
Uran
Thomas
Kiryienka
Boasson Hagen
Stannard
Eisel

More than enough for the flat there so best in form climber out of Lopez, Kennaugh and Siutsou should get the last place. Knees could yet make the team if something happens to one of the rouleurs.

liamito said:
Why do you consider Eisel as certain?

I think Eisel will be in the team as Sky really value him on the road. There is also a lot of flat this year.

I don't think Lopez will be back in form in 3 weeks, its much better to give his place to Kennaugh and let Lopez focus on the Vuelta.

At this moment my 9 would be:

Froome
Porte
Uran
Kiryienka
Thomas
Kennaugh
Stannard
EBH
Eisel

How much do you reckon they will let EBH go for the sprints, and how much support will he receive? Thomas has led him out before but do you think they would let the two of them do battle in the final few kilometres, potentially tiring them out a bit and also increasing the risk of a crash?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Drop Eisel, add kennaugh and a neopro

Eisel was excellent in last years TdF, both in terms of workload and road tactics by all accounts. Would be really surprised if he didn't make it. I don't think any of the neo-pros are quite ready yet but Kennaugh should make it.

18. Joseph Lloyd DOMBROWSKI, Sky, at :29
27. Nicolas ROCHE, Saxo-Tinkoff, at :52
28. Joshua EDMONDSON, Sky, at :52

Sure unless there's some major collaboration between the other teams its hard to see Sky being put under pressure. Contador's super domestic Roche not able to put a dent into Sky's 2 neo pro's yesterday!

Frosty said:
How much do you reckon they will let EBH go for the sprints, and how much support will he receive? Thomas has led him out before but do you think they would let the two of them do battle in the final few kilometres, potentially tiring them out a bit and also increasing the risk of a crash?

Flat stage sprint against Cav and Greipel - no chance. Reduced bunch, if the opportunity presents - he'll get some support.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
Cannondale will pull those for Sagan ;)

Ok I grudgingly concede you need some flat engines a la Stannard.
Are there any potential crosswind sections in the Tour btw ?

I'd say there is some potential on stages 6, 7, 10 and 11(tt). Nothing too serious though.

Lets not forget when the riders approach the base of a climb Sky like to put a couple of riders on the front to stretch the pack out and let their train get to the front. Eisel and Stannard will be doing this. I would be very surprised if they don't take Eisel given the amount of flat there is this year.