• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Tinkoff-SaxoBank -What happens next?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
What will Saxo bank do? How long is their Kx with the team? Most likely Saxo will withdraw the fund as soon as the Kx is over because there is no Danish presence in this team anymore.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Velonews article suggesting there will be more changes ...Wouldn't be surprised if De Jongh goes also as he was the one who Tinkov wanted demoted after all... ANd bye bye all Danish riders at end of 2015 except Valgren

Must say team has had a terrible start to season but it is not surprising ...how can you perform at the top of form when surrounded by anxiety and chaos

Funnily enough last year's non-Contador victory was Mick's stage win at il Giro.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
Velonews article suggesting there will be more changes ...Wouldn't be surprised if De Jongh goes also as he was the one who Tinkov wanted demoted after all... ANd bye bye all Danish riders at end of 2015 except Valgren

Must say team has had a terrible start to season but it is not surprising ...how can you perform at the top of form when surrounded by anxiety and chaos

Funnily enough last year's non-Contador victory was Mick's stage win at il Giro.

Not sure what point you are trying to make ?? Last year first non Contador win was Mick ?? SO ??
Last year the team didn't have a 4 million a year signing of Sagan or was hailed 'the best team in the world' or had employed Basso,Brute, Kiserloski, et al or indeed employed Julich, Yates, etc ..ie spent quite alot of money

This year performance is as i said "a terrible start to season"

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make ?? Last year first non Contador win was Mick ?? SO ??
Last year the team didn't have a 4 million a year signing of Sagan or was hailed 'the best team in the world' or had employed Basso,Brute, Kiserloski, et al or indeed employed Julich, Yates, etc ..ie spent quite alot of money

This year performance is as i said "a terrible start to season"

My point is that the only difference with last year, is Contador's different approach to the season. The rest of the team isn't any worse than last year.

And I don't think you've been paying attention because last year Tinkov was also babbling about his team being the bestest and awesomest team EVAH.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
This "new vision" of Tinkov seems more like damage control and deflection than anything else..

Mostly everything he suggests has been discussed by other stakeholders/interests in cycling...

Not long ago he called Riis the best there was in cycling and now he is suddenly outdated and mentioned in same sentence as bruyneel/Saiz.. "not necessarily" because of doping.. :rolleyes:

Furthermore he has no issues telling the whole cycling world how to fix things but his own riders don't have a clue what is going on or what exactly happened.. Very good leadership lol....

Now he get all kind's of new friends for being innovative and thinking of the sport when in fact he is just composing his brand with borrowed feathers and sideline Riis with less popular characters to fit his narrative....

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe time for a poll? Options ranging from "bussiness as usual with new competent DS" down to "immediate implosion, no results, rebellion, team disbanded at the end of a season".

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What actually is it about Oleg Tinkov that has people come to the conclusion he's so, so awful? He's a colourful character (as in, a *** on social media), he pays good wages, he fired the dubious figure that is Bjarne Riis. Mind you, Riis still ended up getting millions from Tinkov so there's no need to tearfully lament his fate.

Is there evidence Riis was some sort of cycling master mind? No. He probably didn't have much of an impact on anything in the last 2 years or so, though if he had good relations with the cyclists, that's going to decrease morale for a while. But that's it.

I get that people don't like how he conducts things, but objectively, I don't see the case for him being some evil boogeyman being overly convincing.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
What actually is it about Oleg Tinkov that has people come to the conclusion he's so, so awful? He's a colourful character (as in, a **** on social media), he pays good wages, he fired the dubious figure that is Bjarne Riis. Mind you, Riis still ended up getting millions from Tinkov so there's no need to tearfully lament his fate.

Is there evidence Riis was some sort of cycling master mind? No. He probably didn't have much of an impact on anything in the last 2 years or so, though if he had good relations with the cyclists, that's going to decrease morale for a while. But that's it.

I get that people don't like how he conducts things, but objectively, I don't see the case for him being some evil boogeyman being overly convincing.

Statements by ex-riders and staff aren't enough? What about a soigneur of the team saying the mood in the team is very bad and many riders are furious? Dan Frost says Riis acted as a buffer and always stayed calm, now the riders will have to deal with Tinkov's mood swings on their own.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
I have no attachment to this team so I don't care if it flounders or prospers, but Oleg couldn't dig this team into a hole any better than he is doing now. After this I doubt Contador or Sagan will be at their best anytime soon. Heck, what person ever would be motivated when their boss is a clueless nouveau riche with the stereotypical 'I know physics better than the physicists because I have money' attitude who is causing everything to fall apart?

Oh how they must both be ruing the contracts they signed recently.

Not sure about Sagan but Contador has his own self motivation to overcome this.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

del1962 said:
GuyIncognito said:
I have no attachment to this team so I don't care if it flounders or prospers, but Oleg couldn't dig this team into a hole any better than he is doing now. After this I doubt Contador or Sagan will be at their best anytime soon. Heck, what person ever would be motivated when their boss is a clueless nouveau riche with the stereotypical 'I know physics better than the physicists because I have money' attitude who is causing everything to fall apart?

Oh how they must both be ruing the contracts they signed recently.

Not sure about Sagan but Contador has his own self motivation to overcome this.

Contador can win a race by himself, he doesn't need a manager or even teammates. But if the man says he'd like Riis on the team you can't deny he has an impact.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OLEG says he does not need a superstar manager but I think the superstar owner is really the problem. he is a cycling fan with too much money like the blue jeans guy from Rock Racing. Oleg is right about 1 thing Cycling, for all its popularity, is a poor sport and attracts short term sponsors rather than long term supporters. Alonso is another one. they bring money but the sport has a problem with finances. I want to see these riders succeed and until the money issues are addressed we will have room for these fan boy owners.

LaFlorecita said:
My point is that the only difference with last year, is Contador's different approach to the season. The rest of the team isn't any worse than last year.

IMHO you are completely wrong, because last year there was some team and this year is just Contador and... and no one else. I really don't know what's the reason for that BUT something is definitely wrong with them.

Zen Master said:
LaFlorecita said:

IMHO you are completely wrong, because last year there was some team and this year is just Contador and... and no one else. I really don't know what's the reason for that BUT something is definitely wrong with them.

I partially agree. I should have worded my post differently, I meant the rest of the team isn't doing any worse in terms of wins. I do think we need to give them some time. Some riders are actually doing quite well.

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe De Jongh went to Oleg after the argument and agreed with him and said he was not allowed to do he is best or not allowed to do his preferred training regimes?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site